Thanks for your comments there, PS. I'm being honest when I say I really appreciate coming away from discussions with a different perspective, and like being challenged on my views. I didn't get to this point without such challenges. 
I wish to continue to address one point, if I may:
Is it still evidence for an individual if an observation doesn't do this? My point being, do you think evidence is objective in nature? The way you've used it here makes me think you believe it might be, but I'm not sure.
If it is, what quality makes that the case?
] we would never be able to do science).
Sorry...a bit of a digression considering this thread. But it is damn interesting.
Athon
I wish to continue to address one point, if I may:
I do think evidence can do so if people allow it to do so.
Is it still evidence for an individual if an observation doesn't do this? My point being, do you think evidence is objective in nature? The way you've used it here makes me think you believe it might be, but I'm not sure.
If it is, what quality makes that the case?
This is kind of what I've been doing a lot of research on for the past, well, decade. I was never satisfied with the sense that some people were just stupid or stubborn or naive...there had to be something more. I believe it lies simply in what our brains evolved to do - it's a consequence of the fact our intelligence evolved for social reasons and not to decode the mysteries of nature. Science is an interesting quirk in that it takes advantage of our ability to address thinking conceptually (part of that social intelligence has evolved features of advanced 'intensionality' as a part of our theory of mind; without intensionality ['s' is intentionalFinally, I'll admit a strong disdain for religions and religious beliefs. My comments may be a bit extreme at times. Nevertheless, I don't know how to account for the persistence of thousand of unsupported contradictory belief systems around the world other than to conclude that evidence generally takes a back seat to naive (non-evidence based) belief.
Sorry...a bit of a digression considering this thread. But it is damn interesting.
Glad we both came away with something.My earlier comments did not allow for much use of the concept of evidence within religious systems. You have force me to reconsider that extreme view.
Athon