Perpetual Student
Illuminator
- Joined
- Jul 8, 2008
- Messages
- 4,852
Wegener certainly proves that the scientific process works. As do all the failed theories, like the "hollow Earth", or phlogiston.
Well said.
Wegener certainly proves that the scientific process works. As do all the failed theories, like the "hollow Earth", or phlogiston.
Tell them "If it were a religion, scientists would all be trying to bugger young boys like ministers do."
![]()
Regarding the OP, the distinguishing characteristic of any science is that it is evidence based. As such, new and/or better evidence is a constant factor and leads to change. Religion has little regard for evidence and is based on blind acceptance in the absence of evidence and consequently resists change.
While I get your point, I disagree with your use of 'evidence based'. Religion relies on evidence as well (when evidence is defined as an observation that increases or decreases your confidence in a belief). The core difference between the two is the set of values by which evidence is evaluated.
Let me put it it to you this way - if you ask a religious person what evidence there is for God, they'll point out the beauty of the world (for example). Indeed, that observation increased their confidence in their belief. The difference is the way they evaluated that observation relied on religious values (faith, defending a priori beliefs, lack of critical thinking, appeal to popularity etc.) rather than scientific ones (logic, internal consistency, reason, critical thinking).
It might seem pedantic, but it makes a big difference in studying the culture of science and religion and understanding and communicating their key differences.
Athon
While I get your point, I disagree with your use of 'evidence based'. Religion relies on evidence as well (when evidence is defined as an observation that increases or decreases your confidence in a belief). The core difference between the two is the set of values by which evidence is evaluated.
Let me put it it to you this way - if you ask a religious person what evidence there is for God, they'll point out the beauty of the world (for example). Indeed, that observation increased their confidence in their belief. The difference is the way they evaluated that observation relied on religious values (faith, defending a priori beliefs, lack of critical thinking, appeal to popularity etc.) rather than scientific ones (logic, internal consistency, reason, critical thinking).
It might seem pedantic, but it makes a big difference in studying the culture of science and religion and understanding and communicating their key differences.
Athon
But Athon simply redefined "evidence" for convenience, making it basically mean what ever was good for the argument, not worrying about whether it had an relationship to the premise under discussion. As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word it has the meaning I intend it to have, no more, no less."I have reflected on the above further. While you appear to make an interesting argument, I can't agree that religion relies on evidence in any meaningful way. "The beauty if the world" is not evidence; it is merely a subjective and emotional characterization. Playing semantic games with the word "evidence" obscures the logic of my point that science is evidence based and religion is not. Your statement is not only pedantic -- it is plainly wrong. You say that that the difference is in the way they evaluate an observation (using faith or appeal to popularity, for example). That has absolutely nothing to do with evidence; claiming so is simply a misuse of the word "evidence." How is faith evidence? How is popularity evidence? I am using the word "evidence" in the way it is used by scientists, not by mystics.
It is an old and tired debating trick to alter and twist the accepted meaning of a word to obscure an argument -- but such tactics do not hold up to logical scrutiny. Science is clearly evidence based -- evidence has been the essence of science from a time before Archimedes. Religion and superstition have always been based on non-critical acceptance of whatever claim or system is the accepted dogma.
But Athon simply redefined "evidence" for convenience, making it basically mean what ever was good for the argument, not worrying about whether it had an relationship to the premise under discussion. As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word it has the meaning I intend it to have, no more, no less."
My point exactly.Obviously, but that renders his comment devoid of meaning.
Obviously, but that renders his comment devoid of meaning. We can only communicate in a meaningful way if we agree on the meaning of our words. When I say science is evidence based, I am using the word evidence in its conventional sense, as used by scientists. Any other use of the word "evidence" (as in appealing to popularity), is meaningless.
I can say the sky is green by redefining the word "green." But what does that mean? -- absolutely nothing! It's an empty argument.
."You believe in your science like I believe in my god".
By using the same word with two different meanings a false equality is established that is then exploited to the fullest.
You say that that the difference is in the way they evaluate an observation (using faith or appeal to popularity, for example). That has absolutely nothing to do with evidence; claiming so is simply a misuse of the word "evidence." How is faith evidence? How is popularity evidence? I am using the word "evidence" in the way it is used by scientists, not by mystics.
It is an old and tired debating trick to alter and twist the accepted meaning of a word to obscure an argument -- but such tactics do not hold up to logical scrutiny.
As is the whole "science is religion" argument.
It usually involves finessing the word "belief" which can mean "I know or I think" or "to have faith in". As in:
"You believe in your science like I believe in my god".
By using the same word with two different meanings a false equality is established that is then exploited to the fullest.
Obviously, but that renders his comment devoid of meaning. We can only communicate in a meaningful way if we agree on the meaning of our words. When I say science is evidence based, I am using the word evidence in its conventional sense, as used by scientists. Any other use of the word "evidence" (as in appealing to popularity), is meaningless.
If you could point out how evidence can be defined without resorting to circular reasoning, we might have something solid to discuss and I might have reason to change my view.
Athon
Unfortunately you're getting upset over the wrong abuse.
There's nothing wrong with using belief in both contexts. The problem in that sentence is that while both are beliefs, they weren't formed in the same way. Two different forms of methodology were used - one demonstrably useful and the other not.
Athon
What rubbish. The bolded part is trying to have it both ways - as if the conventional sense is the only sense.
Athon
It's not two contexts but two meanings and you just did it in your third sentence.
Both ways/only way. You don't notice a contradiction here?
When a Cirbesterian belches he thinks it is evidence of the almighty Cirbest.
Note that he simply asserts it is evidence.
When Boyle said pV = k, he did not merely assert it -- he demonstrated it.
Both used the word "evidence" about gas. The distinction between these two usages should be quite clear. The way in which the Cirbesterian uses the word evidence is not precise since belching could be evidence for muffin fairies or any other imagined agent.
Boyle's evidence is designed to persuade; is uses demonstrable facts and logic, not imagined associations or meaningless muttering.
I say that the Cerbsterians use of the word "evidence" is erroneous.
This problem you have with the meaning of the word "evidence" is evidence of your fuzzy thinking!