• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How do you deal with the 'science is a religion' crap?

I hope you do know what materialism means don't you? How do computers prove that our mind (say consciousness) fully works on materialistic principles? I, as most other biologists today, think and believe it does, but we all do it without any evidence and with only moderate hope (no proof) that we'll ever have one (I mean evidence - not mind... :D).

I was going to leave this, as there are plenty of materialism versus (insert some metaphysical concept here) threads already in R&P. But I figured I might as well put something in that will only be ignored. :p

In all of my years of studying HPS, I've never come across the term 'materialism' outside of discussions that have to do with alternatives, such as idealism or dualism. In other words, I've never come across a scientist who has taken the a priori position of materialism in the context that idealists seem to claim. I can only conclude it is a strawman, in which case.

What science does is arrange observations into some sort of a system of cause and effect, according to rules. It cannot and does not propose the ultimate foundations for those rules. It does not state it is set into a matrix of a mind, a computer, a butterfly's dream...it simply states 'it is'. Observations are descriptions afforded by our senses and nothing more.

Science cannot and does not state particles exist as solid little lumps of stuff outside of our experience. It states that all observations appear to be governed by consistent laws that we can describe through a methodology. That's all it does. No claim is made on whether it really is or isn't like this - we can only ever say it appears to be so. That was the whole damn point of the Vienna Circle's manifesto, to prevent such claims from being seen as scientific.

THAT is materialism, at least from the perspective of science. It stops at the laws and makes no attempt to weave them into anything deeper. Why? Because such a thing is impossible, and useless. Unless there is something to observe to differentiate laws that arise from a single mind from laws that arise from a universal computer (ala The Matrix) from a butterfly's dream, they are all equal conjectures that contribute nothing to our understanding of those very laws. Hence science ignores the concept until it has something to grasp.

Yet idealists don't do this. They insinuate that this very claim of laws IS a foundation in its own right, and therefore feel satisfied that they can present a compatible theory of their own on equal terms. Thus the word 'materialism' is born, and the strawman of it being the basis of science. A pseudoargument springs up out of this, appearing to be between scientists who claim the universe is more than it appears and those whose agenda it is to make sure idealism isn't left out of the discussion.

Nobody is stopping anybody from having their pet views. If it helps you to sleep at night to believe that the laws are arranged by fairies, are all in your head, arise from an eternal computer, are the dreams of a sleeping god...go for it.

For my money, I have absolutely no idea what the ultimate prote hyle is, and cannot even begin to guess. I have no problem with ignoring the question for now. I even suspect it's an impossible question to answer. Just don't misrepresent science as thinking it has done so.

Athon
 
There have been a lot of interesting and provocative ideas expressed here.
Nevertheless, it seems to me that if someone genuinely believes that "science is religion," no single idea or discussion will change that belief. Someone who actually sees science as just another religion is demonstrating such a profound ignorance of science and how science is done, that it would take years of education to change that opinion -- if it could be modified at all. After a brief discussion with such people, it has been my experience that simply walking away from further discussion is the best course.

But the would probably only slightly annoy them. To really get on their tits, ask what would convince them science is not a religion.
 
I've never come across a scientist who has taken the a priori position of materialism in the context that idealists seem to claim.

I think the complaint is that scientists are de facto materialists because they look for physical explanations and reject or override supernatural explanations which are important to certain religious groups.

I may say "certain groups" but we all know that the only reason we're talking about this is because creationism is important to some brands of Christian philosophy.
 
I think the complaint is that scientists are de facto materialists because they look for physical explanations and reject or override supernatural explanations which are important to certain religious groups.

I don't doubt that there is the assumption that science is claimed to rely on physical explanations. But the devil, so to speak, lies in the details of what 'physical' means, and why supernatural explanations don't subscribe to this definition.

Athon
 
I don't doubt that there is the assumption that science is claimed to rely on physical explanations. But the devil, so to speak, lies in the details of what 'physical' means, and why supernatural explanations don't subscribe to this definition.

Athon

Nah, the devil is in the detail of what the definition if 'is' is.
 
Athon, let me play devil's advocate and ask you a direct question. Which explanation is better for the diversity of life on Earth: evolution, or creation? Are they equally valid as some creationists claim? Please don't wiggle out of it. I'm sure that you have an opinion.
 
I have often heard this "argument" that science is something that we just chose to believe; and it's just as much of a faith as religion. I'm sure you've heard it too. How do you deal with it? I get so annoyed at that "argument" that I usually get rude and sarcastic. But I wanted to know how I can counter that without being sarcastic. How can I construct a reasoned argument against that? Should I start from how axioms in maths and science are self-evident truths and belief in them is not even remotely close to belief in a religion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is no argument here. Science is something you can believe in, as you can believe in supernatural nonsense, or religious imaginary stuff.

The question is, why do you believe in science rather than religion.
 
The question is, why do you believe in science rather than religion.
I (or anybody else) don't "believe" in science. I accept established scientific theories as the best known scientific explanations of different phenomena on the basis of scientific evidence.
 
Last edited:
I (or anybody else) don't "believe" in science. I accept established scientific theories as the best known scientific explanations of different phenomena on the basis of scientific evidence.

LOL

Science is a set of tools, so in this sense (and in this sense alone) you can say and I will agree in that you don't believe in "science". That said, mobs interpret science as a body of beliefs. For instance, the belief about gravity being a force, or light as something transmitted with particles.

And I should stress these are BELIEFS.

Now, science in this sense, is a body of beliefs that can change with evidence, that much is correct too, but don't came to me with that nonsense about "accept established scientific explanations" as if they were some sort of dogma. Facts are ALWAYS interpreted from a theoretical framework.
 
How's that? If there are temperatures which we will never be able to reach at which a metal could potentially (or not) melt, how would it be falsified?

Athon

The definition of metal is that it can be melted:

"Abbr. M Any of a category of electropositive elements that usually have a shiny surface, are generally good conductors of heat and electricity, and can be melted or fused, hammered into thin sheets, or drawn into wires. Typical metals form salts with nonmetals, basic oxides with oxygen, and alloys with one another."
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/metal

So your question is invalid.
 
Better;

My brakes worked this morning. I just connected to Brazil using my computer. No supernatural anything has ever worked for me.

Were you chatting with Mr. Green? :D

People claim we have "faith" in science. Well, I have faith that the airplane will take me to Albuquerque, but I'm aware it's not infallible, so I have life insurance. It's not faith in woo, it's faith in predictable, reproducible, testable theorems and laws.
 
Were you chatting with Mr. Green? :D

People claim we have "faith" in science. Well, I have faith that the airplane will take me to Albuquerque, but I'm aware it's not infallible, so I have life insurance. It's not faith in woo, it's faith in predictable, reproducible, testable theorems and laws.

I'm not sure "faith" is the right word for a reasonable level of confidence based on experience.
 
Athon, let me play devil's advocate and ask you a direct question. Which explanation is better for the diversity of life on Earth: evolution, or creation? Are they equally valid as some creationists claim? Please don't wiggle out of it. I'm sure that you have an opinion.

Of course I do. Evolution, hands down. Not equally valid at all.

What on hell does this have to do with the discussion? This isn't about the validity of a theory, but the nature of how science is done and what does and does not separate it from religion.

Athon
 
I'm not sure "faith" is the right word for a reasonable level of confidence based on experience.

I refuse to allow the god-botherers to dictate my language. I use "faith" and "belief" and take them on when they try to twist that into something I didn't mean. I will not be controlled by their rules. The world's gone to crap doing that now.
 
I (or anybody else) don't "believe" in science. I accept established scientific theories as the best known scientific explanations of different phenomena on the basis of scientific evidence.

What pedantic nonsense.

Fine, you can play with the word 'believe' to force it to suit your particular definition. Meanwhile, most people seem quite satisfied with the word belief equalling an acceptance of an idea, concept or theory.

The thing that gets my goat is that this sort of silliness only makes it difficult to successfully communicate science. Knowing what convinces one person of a religious belief and another of a scientific belief is essential in effective education. There are a number of factors that contribute, and it makes for some interesting social science. But to treat them as two different systems, where one is 'belief' and the other is completely different is - ironically - a blind assertion based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

Athon
 
I refuse to allow the god-botherers to dictate my language. I use "faith" and "belief" and take them on when they try to twist that into something I didn't mean. I will not be controlled by their rules. The world's gone to crap doing that now.

Amen. :p

Religion involves evaluating evidence as much as science. The difference is the system of evaluation used. One comprises of values to do with internal consistency, logic, objectiveness and impersonal laws. The other has to do with social forces such as the perception of popular belief, satisfaction of emotions and appeal to personal authorities. Hence what constitutes good evidence differs under the two systems.

Of course, one can argue that science is pragmatic. It is. Religion persists because our brains evolved to be religious. That worked a lot better in the world we evolved in. However, we're still using those 'religious' brains in doing science - nobody spontaneously developed radically new forms of neurology in the past two and half millennia.

Athon
 
Originally Posted by pnerd
I (or anybody else) don't "believe" in science. I accept established scientific theories as the best known scientific explanations of different phenomena on the basis of scientific evidence.
What pedantic nonsense.

Fine, you can play with the word 'believe' to force it to suit your particular definition. Meanwhile, most people seem quite satisfied with the word belief equalling an acceptance of an idea, concept or theory.

The thing that gets my goat is that this sort of silliness only makes it difficult to successfully communicate science. Knowing what convinces one person of a religious belief and another of a scientific belief is essential in effective education. There are a number of factors that contribute, and it makes for some interesting social science. But to treat them as two different systems, where one is 'belief' and the other is completely different is - ironically - a blind assertion based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

Your comments are the ones laden with "pedantic nonsense."
The word believe has a variety of meanings:

Main Entry: be·lieve
Pronunciation: \bə-ˈlēv\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): be·lieved; be·liev·ing
Etymology: Middle English beleven, from Old English belēfan, from be- + lȳfan, lēfan to allow, believe; akin to Old High German gilouben to believe, Old English lēof dear — more at love
Date: before 12th century
intransitive verb
1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
2 : to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>
3 : to hold an opinion : think <I believe so>
transitive verb
1 a : to consider to be true or honest <believe the reports> <you wouldn't believe how long it took> b : to accept the word or evidence of <I believe you> <couldn't believe my ears>
2 : to hold as an opinion : suppose <I believe it will rain soon>
— be·liev·er noun

— not believe : to be astounded at <I couldn't believe my luck>


When one says,
"I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
..."


the meaning is quite different than when one says "I believe when we establish a critical mass, the soft neutrons will cause a chain reaction."
By engaging in pedantic nonsense, you have confounded the semantic subtleties of the word believe to suit your own ill conceived notions.
 
... When one says,
"I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
..."

the meaning is quite different than when one says "I believe when we establish a critical mass, the soft neutrons will cause a chain reaction."
By engaging in pedantic nonsense, you have confounded the semantic subtleties of the word believe to suit your own ill conceived notions.


Well, with context, sure they're different; but initially, they're just words pointing to the same sort of act (context determines the quality of the act: good or not, sound or not, rational or not, etc.)

Both are a claim that something happened (God created the heavens, Jesus was crucified, etc.) or will happen (neutrons will cause a chain reaction). The difference is in how the evidence for each is evaluated. The religious claimant likely bases her belief on the authority of a communal text; the scientific claimant, on the results of peer-reviewed experiments. Both belief -- different systems.

Personally, I have much more confidence in the scientific system, because experiments are data-driven, while authorities are self-driven and often self-deluded; but that's my own skeptical appraisal, from the outside, of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, don't get hung up on the word "belief". The point is to clearly distinguish between religion and science. That they both involve belief, claims that this is the way it was, is, and/or will be, is no big deal. It's the way they evaluate beliefs, their own and each other's, that best contrasts them. I think that's athon's main point, and a good one at that.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom