At the risk of repeating some stuff others have already pointed out in regards to the Iran case and assuming anybody’s still interested, here’s my $0.02…
Originally Posted by Rramjet
Now some have contended that this is all second hand information and thus not of any value.
And they would be justified in their skepticism. To wit…
Originally Posted by Rramjet
To show this is not correct, first we have:
“The pilots were interviewed the next day. The Military Assistance and Advisory Group (MAAG), in the person of Lt. Col. Mooy, sat in on the interview of the second pilot who landed at Mehrebad.”
Oh really? Are you sure about that?
Apparently you are relying on a source article (http://www.cohenufo.org/iran.htm) written by Bob Pratt and an email exchange between Bob Pratt and Jerry Cohen (http://www.cohenufo.org/BPratt_conversations.htm) from both of which you selectively quote portions of conversation out of context. This is disingenuous to put it politely.
You also mix things up with your criticisms of Dr Maccabee as if to make coherent reply to your assertions as difficult as possible.
Let us first however tackle this contention of yours above.
Bob Pratt:
“When the Pentagon finally declassified and released the Iran UFO message from Colonel McKenzie, it made interesting read¬ing even though most of the details of the encounter were already known.”
(Note: FRANK B, MCKENZIE, COL, USAF, SATT was the one who sent the “routing slip”)
”For the first time, we learned that McKenzie had sent the message to the Defense Intelligence Agency, which had re-transmitted it to the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency, the Secretary of State, the White House, the chiefs of the Air Force, the Navy and the Army as well as to the commander in chief of our Euro¬pean forces and the commanders of several European bases.
I tried to find out from the Pentagon if it was routine to send UFO messages to the CIA, NSA, White House and all the others, but the only answer I got was that it is routine to send intelligence messages to these points, with the stress on the word "intelligence."
With the name of the man who sent the message now known, I phoned Colonel McKenzie in Tehran and reached him at his home. I wanted to find out from him why the UFO message was sent and whether it was a common thing to send UFO messages to the Pentagon.
"No, it's not necessarily common, I guess," he replied in an easy-going, disarming way. "Part of our job over here is reporting on unusual things and a UFO report is unusual regardless of whether you believe in them or not. This thing had such big play in the papers over here that it was almost unreal."
REPORTS TO PENTAGON REQUIRED
For many years, American and Canadian military forces operated under JANAP 146 (E), or the Joint Army, Navy and Air Force Procedures for reporting "vital intelligence sightings." One portion of it requires reports to the Pentagon on any UFO incidents involving military installations, equipment or personnel and includes two and a half pages of specific details to check for on unidentified objects.
I asked McKenzie if he was familiar with JANAP 146 (E) and was this why he sent the UFO message to the Pentagon.
No, he said, he wasn’t familiar with it and added: "I sent it in because it was an unusual incident and not necessarily in relation to or in response to any requirement."
I asked how he obtained the information for his report and he replied: "Well, we read the newspapers, we talked to various people around town, other attachés. It was really quite a topic of conversa¬tion for three or four days.”
The partial report published by NICAP indicated he had talked to one of the Iranian pilots, but McKenzie said:
"I didn't talk to the Iranian pilots. As a matter of fact, I didn't talk to anybody who did talk to him, per se. I got my informa¬tion from, oh, various sources. I got a lot of it from the newspapers, in fact."
I said he had an awful lot of details that weren't in the newspapers.
"Yeah, I can agree with that," he said. "In fact, if you set all the newspapers down most of it is in there but some of the detail probably isn't. If I had a real source that was giving me all this information I'd be hard pressed to tell you who it is but I don't have a one-source type of guy."
But, I said, certainly you investigated to some extent before you sent the message to the Pentagon to make sure your information was as accurate as possible?
"Well, I guess I would do that with anything," he replied.
A REVEALING ‘MEMO OF RECORD’
Colonel McKenzie had said he had no "one-man source" for his information and had no ties with MAAG. However, the Air Force event¬ually released another document on the Iran affair.
It was a "Memorandum of Record," written by Lieutenant Colonel Olin R. Mooy, the U.S. Air Force executive officer for MAAG. He was one of two U.S. Air Force colonels who sat in on the debriefing of First Lieutenant Jalal Damirian and Second Lieutenant Hossein Shokry, the crew of the second F-4 Phantom jet (similar to the one shown here) that went up that night.
It is interesting that Colonel McKenzie's classified message to the Pentagon on the UFO incident says exactly the same thing, word for word, as Colonel Mooy's report written after the debriefing.”
(http://www.cohenufo.org/iran.htm)I tried to find out from the Pentagon if it was routine to send UFO messages to the CIA, NSA, White House and all the others, but the only answer I got was that it is routine to send intelligence messages to these points, with the stress on the word "intelligence."
With the name of the man who sent the message now known, I phoned Colonel McKenzie in Tehran and reached him at his home. I wanted to find out from him why the UFO message was sent and whether it was a common thing to send UFO messages to the Pentagon.
"No, it's not necessarily common, I guess," he replied in an easy-going, disarming way. "Part of our job over here is reporting on unusual things and a UFO report is unusual regardless of whether you believe in them or not. This thing had such big play in the papers over here that it was almost unreal."
REPORTS TO PENTAGON REQUIRED
For many years, American and Canadian military forces operated under JANAP 146 (E), or the Joint Army, Navy and Air Force Procedures for reporting "vital intelligence sightings." One portion of it requires reports to the Pentagon on any UFO incidents involving military installations, equipment or personnel and includes two and a half pages of specific details to check for on unidentified objects.
I asked McKenzie if he was familiar with JANAP 146 (E) and was this why he sent the UFO message to the Pentagon.
No, he said, he wasn’t familiar with it and added: "I sent it in because it was an unusual incident and not necessarily in relation to or in response to any requirement."
I asked how he obtained the information for his report and he replied: "Well, we read the newspapers, we talked to various people around town, other attachés. It was really quite a topic of conversa¬tion for three or four days.”
The partial report published by NICAP indicated he had talked to one of the Iranian pilots, but McKenzie said:
"I didn't talk to the Iranian pilots. As a matter of fact, I didn't talk to anybody who did talk to him, per se. I got my informa¬tion from, oh, various sources. I got a lot of it from the newspapers, in fact."
I said he had an awful lot of details that weren't in the newspapers.
"Yeah, I can agree with that," he said. "In fact, if you set all the newspapers down most of it is in there but some of the detail probably isn't. If I had a real source that was giving me all this information I'd be hard pressed to tell you who it is but I don't have a one-source type of guy."
But, I said, certainly you investigated to some extent before you sent the message to the Pentagon to make sure your information was as accurate as possible?
"Well, I guess I would do that with anything," he replied.
A REVEALING ‘MEMO OF RECORD’
Colonel McKenzie had said he had no "one-man source" for his information and had no ties with MAAG. However, the Air Force event¬ually released another document on the Iran affair.
It was a "Memorandum of Record," written by Lieutenant Colonel Olin R. Mooy, the U.S. Air Force executive officer for MAAG. He was one of two U.S. Air Force colonels who sat in on the debriefing of First Lieutenant Jalal Damirian and Second Lieutenant Hossein Shokry, the crew of the second F-4 Phantom jet (similar to the one shown here) that went up that night.
It is interesting that Colonel McKenzie's classified message to the Pentagon on the UFO incident says exactly the same thing, word for word, as Colonel Mooy's report written after the debriefing.”
Interesting indeed! NOW we can place YOUR comments IN context. You stated:
So given what Pratt was asking - and given how McKenzie responded - we can see that MacKenzie was trying hard NOT to reveal his source (Colonel Mooy). What YOU contended is that Mckenie’s statements represented his ACTUAL sources (newspapers, various people… etc). So there WAS a pilot interview. THIS is a contemptible tactic from you Access Denied. You have twisted the meaning of Pratts interview out of all recognition. We are supposed to be dealing with legitimate research and evidence here. Shame on you!Originally Posted by Pratt
I asked how he obtained the information for his report and he replied: "Well, we read the newspapers, we talked to various people around town, other attachés. It was really quite a topic of conversation for three or four days.”
The partial report published by NICAP indicated he had talked to one of the Iranian pilots, but McKenzie said:
"I didn't talk to the Iranian pilots. As a matter of fact, I didn't talk to anybody who did talk to him, per se. I got my information from, oh, various sources. I got a lot of it from the newspapers, in fact."
So no official pilot interview.
Now that we KNOW this is your tactic, THIS ALSO puts the rest of your comments into a new perspective.
You stated:
Let’s see if Maccabee’s “analysis” written in 2006 (and curiously updated a few weeks ago on Oct. 17th, 2009) stands up under closer scrutiny.
Maccabee states his primary sources are…
[not counting the anonymous sources “Bob” and “Henry” he used that conveniently can’t be independently verified]
Dr Maccabee:
“[Note: what follows is my reconstruction of the sighting history. This is based, in part, on two interviews of Hossain Pirouzi, done 3 and 4 months after the events. They were provided to me by reporter Bob Pratt, who was, at the time, a full time UFO investigator employed by the National Enquirer. This history is also based on newspaper accounts and on the initially classified (Confidential) U. S. Air Force (USAF) teletype message by Lt. Col. Olin Mooy, that primarily describes the events as recounted during an interview of the pilot of the second jet. Col. Mooy was a member of the MAAG or Military Assistance and Advisory Group which consisted of USAF officers who provided assistance and advice to the Imperial Iranian Air Force (IIAF).”
(http://www.brumac.8k.com/IranJetCase/)(Bolding mine. Rr)
And from Bob Pratt:
“That is only part of the story, as obtained by John Checkley, then a National Enquirer reporter based in London, and Vahe Petrossian, a freelance journalist then living in Tehran. The military was releasing no details of the incident and Pirouzi, the air traffic controller, was the only one who would talk about it at that time.”
(http://www.cohenufo.org/iran.htm)Regarding “Henry”: Dr Macabee stated:
“When I talked to Henry in late 1982 he still remembered the night, 6 years before, when he was rudely awakened by the loud roar of jets taking off at full speed. (…) Henry was an employee of the Westinghouse Corp. and he was in Iran to help maintain the avionics, including radar, in the F-4 Phantom jets that the Iranians had bought several years earlier.”
((http://www.brumac.8k.com/IranJetCase/)So we CAN verify the sources! Again you simply try to mislead us. You take your readers for fools. BUT you have been found out!
You state:
Maccabee then goes on placing much weight on this report and the alleged interview throughout his “reconstruction” as evidenced by the following collection of snippets…
It is NOT an “alleged” interview after all. AND your “snippets” from Dr Macabee’s report are thus accurate representations of the evidence.
You then state:
Originally Posted by Maccabee
THE AIRCRAFT AND AREA WHERE THE OBJECT IS BELIEVED TO HAVE LANDED ARE BEING CHECKED FOR POSSIBLE RADIATION. RO COMMENTS: [redacted] ACTUAL INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT WAS OBTAINED FROM SOURCE IN CONVERSATION WITH A SUB-SOURCE, AND IIAF PILOT OF ONE OF THE F-4S. MORE INFORMATION WILL BE FORWARDED WHEN IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.
Read that again very carefully. Sounds to me like the “source”, not the RO (reporting official), “interviewed” a “sub-source”, and one of the pilots… hence the reason it’s presented as preliminary information in the very next sentence. This leads me to believe the entire report was based on secondhand information. One wonders why Maccabee did not include that sentence?
[it’s redacted in the early “leaked” version of the document but present in the later FOIA release]
And you stated:
So it appears Maccabee’s “reconstruction” is wrong based on his own sources…
1. The teletype wasn’t written by a Lt. Col. Mooy with the MAAG who is alleged to have “interviewed” one of the pilots.
2. The “source” mentioned in the teletype was likely the freelance journalist Petrossian.
3. The “sub-source” mentioned in the teletype was likey the air traffic controller Pirouzi.
So who actually “interviewed” the pilot?
Col. Mooy sat in on the debriefing of Jafari, the second pilot. Then Mooy wrote the message which was sent to the Defense Intelligence Agency, which had re-transmitted it to the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency, the Secretary of State, the White House, the chiefs of the Air Force, the Navy and the Army as well as to the commander in chief of our European forces and the commanders of several European bases - on McKenzie's authority as head of the MAAG. The source of info in the teletype most certainly was not any freelance journalist. The source was Jafari. Jafari was interviewed by officials of the Iranian AF. General Azerbarzin was one of them and Pratt mentions him. McKenzie apparently didn't want to make it clear who sat in on the debriefing.
Does THAT help you out with your confusion at all Access Denied?
You state:
This is from Email Exchanges between Bob Pratt and Jerry Cohen (http://www.cohenufo.org/BPratt_conversations.htm)Before I continue, I’d like to remind everyone about this…
Originally Posted by Pratt
In those days the Enquirer was offering $1 million to anyone who could prove that UFOs came from outer space. The Blue Ribbon panel was formed to determine whether any case provided that proof. The panel would get together at least once a year to assess the "best" cases of the previous year. None, of course, proved UFOs were from outer space, but the Enquirer also paid $5,000 to $10,000 to those witnesses involved in the case of the year that provided the "best scientific evidence of the reality of UFOs" or something to that effect.
You fail to mention WHO was on the Blue Ribbon Panel… for example…
Bob Pratt:
“Enquirer had what we called a "Blue Ribbon UFO Panel" consisting of four or five Ph.Ds and a "mini-panel" composed of the heads of NICAP, APRO and MUFON (John Schuessler represented MUFON instead of Walt Andrus; Walt and Jim Lorenzen despised each other). Leo Sprinkle, Jim Harder, Frank Salisbury, Dr. Hynek, John Warren and at least two other fellows whose names I can't remember were members of the Blue Ribbon panel at various times.”
Jerry Cohen:
“US Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General Tom C. Clark, and former New York Court of Appeals Judge Francis Bergan. I remember the panel. (Evidently Lorenzen, Acuff, and Schuessler were screening cases, then passing them on to the judges for their final decision.”
I contend:
So the panel had some pretty high profile people on board! You make out that somehow because the money was supplied by the Enquirer and they paid witnesses that somehow it was illegitimate. As you can see, this is NOT the case.
More, you fail to mention that NONE of the panel members were paid! The FULL paragraph –which you selectively cut of in mid explanation reads:
“In those days the Enquirer was offering $1 million to anyone who could prove that UFOs came from outer space. The Blue Ribbon panel was formed to determine whether any case provided that proof. The panel would get together at least once a year to assess the "best" cases of the previous year. None, of course, proved UFOs were from outer space, but the Enquirer also paid $5,000 to $10,000 to those witnesses involved in the case of the year that provided the "best scientific evidence of the reality of UFOs" or something to that effect. That was the main task of the panel, choosing the best case. The mini-panel, consisting of representatives of the three main UFO organizations, would meet once or twice a year with me and my editor to help select those cases that would be considered by the big panel. No one got paid anything but the Enquirer took care of all arrangements and all expenses for visits to south Florida or wherever the panel would meet -- such places as New York, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and even Mexico City).”
(http://www.cohenufo.org/BPratt_conversations.htm)(Bolding mine. Rr)
You go on to state the section above “lifted from Pratt’s article at (http://www.cohenufo.org/BPratt_conversations.htm) which we have dealt with above.
After that you state
Perhaps you have simply NOT read Bob Pratt’s article correctly then. (Note: Dr Maccabee’s article was published in 1976)Now back to Maccabee’s “analysis” where he speculates…
Originally Posted by Maccabee
[Note: there are no further US Air Force memoranda on this case. That does not mean that there was no further investigation by the USAF or the IIAF.]
However, that does mean there’s absolutely no evidence there was.
Bob Pratt:
“Late in 1978, a new, revealing document about the case came to light. Todd Zechel, then a UFO researcher and one of the founders of Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS), uncovered it. He obtained a copy of a military intelligence analyst's evaluation report of the Iran incident as reported by Colonel McKenzie.
Zechel informed me that the analyst was Air Force Major Roland B. Evans, who was then stationed at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska. I phoned Major Evans in January 1979.
“This was a classic case because everything that was bizarre about it was confirmed with real sources," he told me. "We don't have this capability to jam all these systems simultaneously.”
Major Evans, then forty, had served as a military capabilities analyst for the Defense Intelligence Agency in Washington for four years. He was then re-assigned to Offut AFB in July 1978, where he was serving as an electronic warfare officer flying in an RC-l35 reconnaissance aircraft with the 343rd Reconnaissance Squadron.”
(http://www.cohenufo.org/iran.htm)Zechel informed me that the analyst was Air Force Major Roland B. Evans, who was then stationed at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska. I phoned Major Evans in January 1979.
“This was a classic case because everything that was bizarre about it was confirmed with real sources," he told me. "We don't have this capability to jam all these systems simultaneously.”
Major Evans, then forty, had served as a military capabilities analyst for the Defense Intelligence Agency in Washington for four years. He was then re-assigned to Offut AFB in July 1978, where he was serving as an electronic warfare officer flying in an RC-l35 reconnaissance aircraft with the 343rd Reconnaissance Squadron.”
Then you go on to present claim and counter-claim in an effort to muddy the waters about who said what to whom and WHO was a “firsthand” witness, what was secondhand information and so on and so on… until finally your concluding claims:
You have been proven incorrect!Conclusion: (…) in other words, this case is nothing more than unsubstantiated National Enquirer material.
I would merely point out that we DO ALSO have video testimony of one of the pilots!Originally Posted by Rramjet
So we can note that the information in the case was derived from first hand accounts and that the information was considered reliable and valuable by the NSA.
No, "we" can’t.
Here:
Parvis Jafri interview
(http://www.iranian.com/main/singlepage/2008/parviz-jafari-2)
And here:
Jafari speaking at the National Press Club, Nov, 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJydT3AZ370)
So your assessment is a pack of self-serving garbage (to put it nicely!)
