• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Time for an old fashioned book burnin'

My mother told me a horror story when I was little. She and two of her friends had a cheap paperback book that they all wanted to read, and none of them wanted to wait till the others had finished. So one of them read a chapter, then tore it off the rest of the book and passed it on to the second one, and so on. This went on until they'd all read the book and it was in pieces, each a chapter long. I had to forgive her - she's my mother, after all - but it still makes me shudder to think of it.

Dave
 
My mother told me a horror story when I was little. She and two of her friends had a cheap paperback book that they all wanted to read, and none of them wanted to wait till the others had finished. So one of them read a chapter, then tore it off the rest of the book and passed it on to the second one, and so on. This went on until they'd all read the book and it was in pieces, each a chapter long. I had to forgive her - she's my mother, after all - but it still makes me shudder to think of it.

Dave

They did that on M*A*S*H* too. Someone loses the last page.
 
Of course, it has to be the KJV. If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me.:D

And of course, everyone knows it was snowing outside the stable when Jesus was born (in Bethlehem).

Beanbag
 
Of course, it has to be the KJV. If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me.:D

And of course, everyone knows it was snowing outside the stable when Jesus was born (in Bethlehem).

Beanbag

It was snowing: it says so in the Second Shepherds' Play. Also, I believe Bethlehem is somewhere in northern England.

Perhaps I shouldn't be using a comic mystery play as a source, though, since obviously no one knew the true word of God until the KJV was printed in 1611 (were all Christians before that time damned?).
 
History of Book burning.
Books used to be very valuable items. Every book had to be written out by hand by skilled labour. Many of them, the contents existed in only a handful of books. So book burning was an effective way to destroy information that was not of your liking. Then printing was invented and books were for the first time mass produced.

I suggest those who practice it now should get into the 15th century on the way to the 21st century.
 
Were all Christians before that time damned?

Yes. All of Christian history was waiting for the gradual development of the English language and a religious and cultural situation that would converge divinely to allow for the creation of the Only True Bible.
Of course, God and Jesus were both English; it was rather confusing for the people who lived in Jesus' time since they couldn't understand what he was saying. Hence those red letters.
Non-English speakers are still damned to Hell.
 
Yes. All of Christian history was waiting for the gradual development of the English language and a religious and cultural situation that would converge divinely to allow for the creation of the Only True Bible.
Of course, God and Jesus were both English; it was rather confusing for the people who lived in Jesus' time since they couldn't understand what he was saying. Hence those red letters.
Non-English speakers are still damned to Hell.

Well, of course Jesus was English. Duh. It's just that I'm worried about Shakespeare. Sure, he was still alive when the KJV was published, but I'm imagining him standing on his porch, grasping his Geneva bible in one hand, shaking his fist and yelling, "You crazy hippy kids with your dam' newfangled bible!" I'm also a bit sad about Chaucer, not to mention poor William Tyndale.
 
I once wanted to get rid of a Book of Mormon I had but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away to be destroyed so I donated it to the library.

Ya gotta keep that sort of thing. It's a reference library thing, or perhaps a 'know thine enemy' thing. I have one just so I can look up passages and see what they actually say. It lives on my shelves next to the Koran, several versions of the bible, some works on modern paganism, and some books on mythology.

Of course, someone said basically the same thing when I posted about finding and flushing chick tracts, so I guess I won't get too butthurt about it.

A.
 
Attendees will also set fire to "Satan's popular books" such as the work of "heretics" including the Pope, Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and Rick Warren.


Aha, the Pope's a Heretic! I knew he was up to something. You should never trust a man who wears a dress. :)

And of course the the NIV and all those other modern-English Bibles should be burned. Why, if someone tried to read a Bible written in Modern English, they might actually understand what's being said and realize how silly the whole thing is. Best stick to the KJV with it's confusing archaic terminology so that the religious community will turn to their local preacher for a comforting sermon, instead of being lead into doubt by reading the Word Of God for themselves. :p
 
Vaguely Relevant Book-Burning Anecdote Alert!

In one of her books (I think it was Class), Jilly Cooper tells the story of a Lord (or whatever) who owned a large old mansion. Whenever he had a houseparty, he would ask all his friends to bring all their old London phone books (and save them up for that purpose). He would then use them to power the heating furnace.

Seems one way of burning books for a good purpose. ;)
 
Aha, the Pope's a Heretic! I knew he was up to something. You should never trust a man who wears a dress. :)

And of course the the NIV and all those other modern-English Bibles should be burned. Why, if someone tried to read a Bible written in Modern English, they might actually understand what's being said and realize how silly the whole thing is. Best stick to the KJV with it's confusing archaic terminology so that the religious community will turn to their local preacher for a comforting sermon, instead of being lead into doubt by reading the Word Of God for themselves. :p

Just a minor quibble: strictly speaking, the KJV is Early Modern English, but yes, it is archaic.
 
Church to Burn Bibles

This is one of those stories that is either utterly hilarious or utterly disturbing.

A Baptist Church near Asheville, N.C., is hosting a "Halloween book burning" to purge the area of "Satan's" works, which include all non-King James versions of the Bible, popular books by many religious authors and even country music.
Link.

Sorry if somebody already posted this; I didn't see it after a brief search.
 
They're basically sending books to hell, Could we consider them Satan's Librarians?

In Satans library we have every book ever written according to the catalog


but it will take you eternity to find the one you want on the shelf
:degrin:
 
Last edited:
In Satans library we have every book ever written according to the catalog


but it will take you eternity to find the one you want on the shelf
:degrin:

I prefer to just browse for an interesting-looking book anyway. I guess I won't mind Satan's library so much, then. :D
 
...

Seriously - if these were magazines, we would all say "so what?" - the binding into books shouldn't make any difference.
There are many more differences between books and periodicals than just the binding.

And I think there would be outrage if there was a particular article in a magazine that was targeted for censorship.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom