• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Forum birdwatching 2009

More from Accra, Ghana today
Tambourine Dove, Turtur tympanistria
Bronze Mannikin, Lonchura cucullata
Little Swift, Apus affinis
(I'm still trying to work out what the Sparrowhawk is...)
 
A few new ones for the list from Accra, Ghana 17th and 18th Oct.

Black-headed Heron, Ardea melanocephala
Purple Heron, Aredea purpurea
Western Reef Egret (dark morph), Egretta gularis
Intermediate Egret, Egretta intermedia
Great Egret, Egretta alba melanorhynchos
Green-backed Heron, Butorides striata
Black Kite, Milvus migrans parasitus
African Goshawk, Accipiter tachiro
Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus
Spur-winged Lapwing, Vanellus spinosus
White-headed Lapwing, Vanellus albiceps
Whimbrel, Numenius phaeopus
Senegal Coucal, Centropus senegalensis
Pied Kingfisher, Ceryle rudis
Lesser Striped Swallow, Hirundo abyssinica
Red-rumped Swallow, Hirundo daurica
African Pied Wagtail, Motacilla aguimp
Common Sandpiper, Actitis hypoleucos
White-fronted Sandpiper, Charandrius marginatus
 
We can add a couple to France though not many

Jay
Buzzard
blue tit
great spotted woodpecker
great tit
kestrel
 
Latest List Status

Hopefully I'll get some time this afternoon to update the web pages, in the meantime, here's the latest figures (barring the last few days):
Total Individual Sightings| 1663
Number of Forum Contributors| 43
Order Count| 25
Family Count| 102
Species Count (including subspecies)| 628
Subspecies Count| 12

For what it's worth, we're slightly ahead of last year for species count:

As at end of Sept, 2008
Total Individual Sightings| 2008
Number of Forum Contributors| 58
Order Count| 23
Family Count| 90
Species Count (including subspecies)| 601
Subspecies Count| 40
 
I've had a poor bird autumn here at the institute. There's a migration route just past the window in the lab, so in the last few years I've taken to count birds flying past whenever I have a small break in my work, like waiting for a centrifuge or so. 2006, for instance, I counted something like 30.000 Chaffinches/Bramblings during September-November, and perhaps 50.000 Wood Pigeons and 2.000 Fieldfares, as well as 30+ other migratory species, including many that are quite rare for central Gothenburg (Spotted Nutcracker, Honey Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon).

This year, however, despite other people in the area having good or at least normal years, I've had barely nothing here. I've had one Song Thrush, perhaps 30 Fieldfares, 200 Wood Pigeons and less than 100 Bramblings/Chaffinches. A Lapland Longspur, two Rooks and a quite late White Wagtail have been the only rare birds, and no Hawfinches, no Siskins, no Redpolls, and NO BUNTINGS AT ALL (apart from the Longspur).

How plastic are migration routes, really? Could they just be taking another route around Gothenburg this autumn? I've only been able to follow the migration past here for the last three years, so I have no extensive data on how far back they've been flying past here, but all the other traditional migration observation localities in the Gothenburg area have been well covered this autumn, and they've had good or normal migration. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Meanwhile, some pictures from my trip to England this summer:

D1011546.jpg


Linnet Carduelis cannabina, possibly at the parking lot at Stanstead.

D1021557.jpg


Corn Bunting Miliaria calandra outside Dorchester.

D1051640.jpg


Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus at Portsmouth.

D1271461.jpg


Ring-necked Parakeet Psittacula krameri in Hyde Park, London (tricky ones to take good pictures of!).

And, lastly, something entirely different:

D1041606.jpg


This is taken near Lyme Regis
 
You got a linnet at Stanstead? you are a lucky man, Kotatsu. I only ever saw one properly on Bute. Not that Bute is hard to get to but.....never even heard of one in a city
 
Australian Ducks Etc.

Also some Australian birds from last year. As with passerines, Australia has a lot of very special ducks.

D1251116.jpg


Black Swan Cygnus atratus is perhaps the most well-known, and .. as I like birds with simple plumages -- one of the most beautiful ones. It sounds a bit like a small steam boat.

D1251160.jpg

D1251137.jpg


Australia Shelduck Tadorna tadornoides is also quite attractive, and very variable, especially in these urban environments.

D1251134.jpg

D1070645.jpg


Pacific Black Duck Anas superciliosa is very common. As I understand it, they are closely related to Mallards Anas platyrhunchos and a whole range of (usually) insular ducks that all look more or less the same, as well as the Spot-billed Duck Anas poecilorhyncha of mainland Asia and the American Black Duck Anas rubripes. I remember reading somewhere that the Mallard was long believed to be more similar to the ancestral form, with its large range, and that the insular forms were more derived, having lost their colourful plumage, but in whatever publication that was, they showed that the opposite was actually true. I don't know if this still holds, or if a larger dataset has since overturned it.

D1251169.jpg


Australasian Shoveler Anas rhynchotis, here mostly in eclipse plumage. The male has a beautiful blue head with a white crescent in front of the eye.

D1251163.jpg


Grey Teal Anas gracilis, hard to tell apart from female Chestnut Teal Anas castanea. The latter lacks the very pale patch on the throat, though. There were likely Chestnut Teals at Lake Monger in Perth -- where all these pictures were taken -- but I saw none that I was confindent in identifying as such.

D1070638.jpg


Hardhead Aythya australis is the only bird of its genus in Australia, and one of the few on the southern hemisphere. There a New Zealand Scaup Aythya novaeseelandiae and the Madagascar Pochard Aythya innotata, which is on the verge of extinction as well, but otherwise this genus is more northern.

D1251214.jpg


Blue-billed Duck Oxyura australis is also the only representative of its genus, although the Musk Duck (see below) is allied; the group is called Stiff-tailed Ducks Oxyurini. This species has the annoying habit of hiding its bill, but not swimming away, when someone wants to take pictures of it...

D1251152.jpg


Musk Duck Biziura lobata is one of the really strange ones. The male has this large pouch underneath the bill, and as in the picture, they often drag the tail in the water.

D1251194.jpg


Pink-eared Duck Malacorhynchus membranaceus is my absolute favorite, although I think the name is ridiculous, as the ear is not always even visible in the field. The alternative name Zebra Duck is much more fitting. There's also a Coot Fulica atra, which brings us to the Rails. The Coot, as you know, has the ugliest youngs in existence:

D1251227.jpg


With the moorhens in close second:

D1251228.jpg


(here Dusky Moorhen Gallinula tenebrosa), though they grow up to be quite beautiful:

D1251150.jpg

D1251132.jpg


Notice the two-coloured legs. Australia also has this bird:

D1251211.jpg


Purple Swamphen Porphyrio porphyrio, as well as a number of rails, most of which are hard to spot. There is a Buff-banded Rail Gallirallus philippensis mellori here, but it's sort of hard to spot:

D1150772.jpg


Australia also has three grebes:

D1251138.jpg

D1221039.jpg


Australasian Grebe Tachybaptus novaehollandiae, which is very similar to the Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis, but the Australian species has more black on the head. It is usually easy to tell apart from the endemic Hoary-headed Grebe Poliocephalus poliocephalus:

D1251136.jpg


And very easy to tell from the familiar Great Crested Grebe Podiceps cristatus australis:

D1251121.jpg


Finally, here is a Hermit Crab:

D1190900.jpg
 
You got a linnet at Stanstead? you are a lucky man, Kotatsu. I only ever saw one properly on Bute. Not that Bute is hard to get to but.....never even heard of one in a city

Yeah, I hear that a lot from my birdwatching friends. We might have been looking at a shoreline for a whole day, and then when the others take some coffee, I find the first Grey Plover or so. I never discover any real rarities, though, but lots of semi-rarities. I think the greatest "rarity" I ever discovered on my own was a White Stork, which is a Swedish non-breeder (though they are trying to reintroducing it in Skåne). However, this was on Öland in May, when there's one in every bush...

This Linnet was at the airport parking, though, so it isn't really inside a city. Still, finches are tricky. Here in Sweden, the Serin is quite rare, and confined almost exclusively to cemeteries and cemetery-like parks, but across the Baltic, in Germany, they sit on every TV-antenna in every village, singing their eating-hard-bread-that-is-somehow-electrified song.

The same goes for the Black Redstart. Very rare here, and found almost only in container storage areas, harbours, ferry terminals and industrial areas, but in Germany they are common garden birds, while the Redstart is more of a forest bird (and a garden bird in Sweden!).

I have no idea why these profound range differences may exist over such a short distance as across the Baltic, but they do. There's probably lots of other differences as well, but these are two I noticed the most when I was in Germany last.
 
Hopefully I'll get some time this afternoon to update the web pages, in the meantime, here's the latest figures (barring the last few days):
Total Individual Sightings| 1663
Number of Forum Contributors| 43
Order Count| 25
Family Count| 102
Species Count (including subspecies)| 628
Subspecies Count| 12

For what it's worth, we're slightly ahead of last year for species count:

As at end of Sept, 2008
Total Individual Sightings| 2008
Number of Forum Contributors| 58
Order Count| 23
Family Count| 90
Species Count (including subspecies)| 601
Subspecies Count| 40

I'm a bit interested in the mismatch in orders. I think someone (Floyt?) reported a penguin last year, but what is the other one? I mean, the covered areas are more or less the same so far, so the order representation should be quite similar...

It's also nice to notice that despite being fewer reporters this year, we have had more species. However, for next year, we'll have to automate input somehow... If nothing then because I will likely be traveling a lot in Sweden next year, and I've noticed that many short trips are more disruptive than single long ones...
 
I'm a bit interested in the mismatch in orders. I think someone (Floyt?) reported a penguin last year, but what is the other one?
My Jackass Penguin in 2009. Or is that not what you meant?
I mean, the covered areas are more or less the same so far, so the order representation should be quite similar...
The country ranges is reduced from 31 in 2008 to 14 in 2009. Perhaps more species are being seen, but because of the smaller "search" area, we're seeing a more homogenous group?

It's also nice to notice that despite being fewer reporters this year, we have had more species. However, for next year, we'll have to automate input somehow... If nothing then because I will likely be traveling a lot in Sweden next year, and I've noticed that many short trips are more disruptive than single long ones...
Now that I've changed hosting that allows ftp uploading and the extra functionality of ASP etc we might get to that, but still, someone has to double-check the entries. Between you and I we are at least able to get consistency in listings, despite the variety of field guides and local nomenclature that we've witnessed in the last 2 years.

That and I need to pull my finger out. More frequent updates actally makes the task easier.

If anyone has suggestions on automating, feel free to do so, but one of the joys of these threads is the open sharing with each of our birding experiences.

I'll have a few new ones to add in December to bump the numbers up...

In the meantime, Ghana, Accra today.

Slender-billed Weaver, Ploceus pelzelni
Yellow-billed Barber, Trachylaemus purpuratus togoensis
Green Wood-Hoopoe, Phoeniculus purpureus
 
My Jackass Penguin in 2009. Or is that not what you meant?The country ranges is reduced from 31 in 2008 to 14 in 2009. Perhaps more species are being seen, but because of the smaller "search" area, we're seeing a more homogenous group?

Ah, so we have a penguin this year as well? Then I have no clue what the mismatch in number of orders may be... Someone saw a Cassowary last year, didn't they? And an ostrich? I mean, I can imagine where the overlap lies; there are several obvious candidates. But the mismatch? No clue. Also: note that I am trying to guess, I assume it is possible just to click the link and find out, but what would be the fun in that?

Also, at least we got some Canadian observations this year, even if I had to go there and do it myself^^.

Now that I've changed hosting that allows ftp uploading and the extra functionality of ASP etc we might get to that, but still, someone has to double-check the entries. Between you and I we are at least able to get consistency in listings, despite the variety of field guides and local nomenclature that we've witnessed in the last 2 years.

Even if I had just a report-form online that would help. Like one of those things you get when you register somewhere and have to fill in a lot of detail... Being able to do it more or less anywhere would help a bit, as I don't always have my computer with me. If that could also autogenerate names, so that I, in the case of commonly reported birds, only would have to write i.e. "Bla" to get "Blackbird" as a suggestion, that would be great. If we could feed this autogenerator thing with the taxon list of Clements (the downloadable one, so we won't have to write stuff ourselves), and have a drop-down curtain for countries, and maybe parts of countries (and also, of course, make this possible for multiple reports), so only the exact locality needed to be written by hand, that would help.

Ideally, we should have something like http://www.artportalen.se/birds/ though naturally not as complex (1). Here, you first have a screen where you select the locality, which is then valid for all reports until you change it. You then switch to the actual report sheet, where you enter the species and other data, and then you hit report and it's in the database. Very simple, from a user's perspective at least. I have no idea how complex the actual system is. If we could get something like that, either with each individual reporter having their own login or me having another screen where I chose reporter, that would make everything extremely easy...

---
(1) I'll send you my login-data so you can look inside if you want...
 
Also some Australian birds from last year.

Love the pictures. I particularly like the black swan.

There's also a Coot Fulica atra[/I


I've always suspected that the coots and moorhens spend so much time in the water not because they're feeding or avoiding predators but because they're embarrassed about their feet.
 
Their feet are beautiful!!

I had a lovely time watching a moorhen walking on ice one winter under a feeder which was attended by three red squirrels. It is an abiding memory
 
D1221040.jpg


Foot of Australasian Grebe, which is similar. This is what it looks like when you collect parasites from it^^:

D1221053.jpg


I actually have an undescribed species of Aquanirmus from this individual. Now you can brag to your kids/grandkids/neighbour's-kids that you've seen the bird from which the type material of a parasitic louse is derived! A honour few people have had.

I have to get started on describing those Australian lice soon...
 
The turacos have green color which comes from turacoverdin, the only true green pigment in birds. Other "greens" in bird colors result from a yellow pigment such as lypochrome combined with the prismatic blue physical structure of the feather itself. That's why the brightness and "blueness" can vary so strongly; it's greatly dependent on the viewing angle and lighting.
The head of a male mallard is a familiar example. It also makes identifying birds like glossy starlings a bit of a nightmare. Your average fieldguide illustrations can't really convey the iridescent sheen, and even photographs only capture a single moment.

Thanks for the comments sphenisc. I read a little bit more about the chemistry of bird pigments based on your comment about turacoverdin. I had no idea of the complexities involved and the considerable variation in the chemicals used by birds to create their various colors.

I was aware that the color of a mallards head can vary greatly depending on the viewing angle of the viewer and the angle of the light source. I have two pictures of the same mallard male. One where the head color is a vibrant green and the other where the head color is a dark blue. The only thing that changed was the angle of the sun on the feathers and the angle that I was taking the picture of the bird from.

On my question about how to post thumbnails from an external source:

This seems to work:


It requires that the source image have a thumbnail. I suppose most people that are posting here have figured this out, but I just did and maybe somebody else might find it useful.

[URL="http://FileToBeDisplayedWhenImageIsClickedOn.com"][IMG]http://URLofThumbnail.JPG[/IMG][/URL]

And on the subject of ''Tringa semipalmata'':
I noticed in the JREF list of species that willets were still under the old name, ''Catoptrophorus semipalmatus''. According to the synopsis of the 47th supplement to the AOU checklist (July 7, 2006) the name was changed to ''Tringa semipalmata''. Perhaps it has not been changed in other sources. I thought it was cute that they changed semipalmatus to sempalmata for Latin grammatical reasons when they changed the genus.

http://www.kirtlandbirdclub.org/whats_new/pdf/47thsupplement_summary _changes.pdf
 
And on the subject of ''Tringa semipalmata'':
I noticed in the JREF list of species that willets were still under the old name, ''Catoptrophorus semipalmatus''. According to the synopsis of the 47th supplement to the AOU checklist (July 7, 2006) the name was changed to ''Tringa semipalmata''. Perhaps it has not been changed in other sources.

Guilty. Evidently, when the name was changed in 2006, my softcover copy of Sibley wasn't updated.

You know, I've been flipping through it, and I'm not even sure how to turn on automatic updates.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom