• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Obama and the Gay Military...

What do you expect? Do you expect that all men go to sensitivity training classes? It is the military! It is not a democracy. It is not a republic. It exists to break and destroy and defend. It is a monarchy by design. And that works best. Too bad that it is not fair. Life is not fair. It never was and it never will be.
Exactly. So why should this "monarchy by design" be run to placate those who would undermine its mission, rather than those who would contribute to it? Let's say you have soldier A, who is eager to serve, trained, capable, and ready; and soldier B, who also appears to be eager to serve, and is trained and capable, but unwilling to obey an order to serve alongside soldier A; and soldiers C through Z who will follow whatever orders they are given. Why kick out A so that B can serve? Why not kick out B so that A can serve?

Well if B signed a paper saying that he was not into humping M and he was caught humping M, then legally he has viloted the contract he signed and the military has legal authority to kick out B from the military.

It is neither your nor my call. We have no authority to tell the generals and admirals what is fair and what is not and what gets the job done or not. If the generals and admirals think this or that is what it takes to get the war done and done quickly then they are given the authority to do whatever they want. They have total freedom and legal right. It does not matter what it involves with few exceptions. If they think someone should be shot for sleeping at his post, then that person is shot. The foot solder can protest a direct order but if that order is within a wide degree of reasonability, the foot solder is taken away for disobeying.

I can tell or I strongly sense you have not been in the military. I also sense that you think you are too intelligent to be in the miltiary as well.

I was in the miltary.

Let me give you an example of the world we are talking about. Blacks were once segregated in the military. And it was this way a for long time. It did not matter that society said it was not fair.

And, no I am not racist.

It did not change because of public pressure. It changed because the military conducted studies to prove that black solders were just as intelligent and capable as whites. Then the segregation ended.
 
So, according to this BBC News page, Obama is going to have a go at getting rid of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell situation.

Will he succeed?

Why should sexuality be an issue in the Military? You are fighting for your country, Damn it, not being judged on who you sleep with! Nosey people should mind their own damn business. I mean, seriously, how many Soldiers ever had an issue with a Homosexual Male/Woman, and actually provided corroborating anecdotes to suggest that is a serious problem and distraction to our Military? Because It is Irrelevant to what you should be doing in the Armed Forces
 
Why should sexuality be an issue in the Military? You are fighting for your country, Damn it, not being judged on who you sleep with! Nosey people should mind their own damn business. I mean, seriously, how many Soldiers ever had an issue with a Homosexual Male/Woman, and actually provided corroborating anecdotes to suggest that is a serious problem and distraction to our Military? Because It is Irrelevant to what you should be doing in the Armed Forces

Which is exactly why the miltiary has strict rules whom you can and cannot sleep with.

They do not want officers to sleep with enlisted men. As you said, you are supposed to be fighting for your country.

I imagine there must have been some gay guys I knew in the military. The ones that "followed their heart" got booted out.

I find it amusing the disconnect civilians have when they insist that the military has no right over their service men and women. If you have ever been through boot camp, you know that apart from physically striking you, they have the right to do anything.
 
Which is exactly why the miltiary has strict rules whom you can and cannot sleep with.

They do not want officers to sleep with enlisted men. As you said, you are supposed to be fighting for your country.

I imagine there must have been some gay guys I knew in the military. The ones that "followed their heart" got booted out.

I find it amusing the disconnect civilians have when they insist that the military has no right over their service men and women. If you have ever been through boot camp, you know that apart from physically striking you, they have the right to do anything.

That is such a stereotype: That Gay men are all about sex. I hope you do know that Men, regardless of sexuality, do not always act on their urges. To tell you the truth, Sleeping with another soldier and risking getting booted, is less likely to occur than a gay guy fantasizing on his own time.
 
Which is exactly why the miltiary has strict rules whom you can and cannot sleep with.

Opposition to DADT does not involve asking the military to change it's rules regarding sexual behavior among soldiers. What it does involve is not getting fired because of who you are married to.
 
Opposition to DADT does not involve asking the military to change it's rules regarding sexual behavior among soldiers. What it does involve is not getting fired because of who you are married to.

Which is what Closeted Conservatives cherrypick
 
It is just that the military does not allow you to have sex with other men if you are a man. Is it fair that the military can tell you who to have sex with and who you cannot have sex with? HELL YES! If you are an officer you cannot have sex with an enlisted person, that is grounds for dismissal. If you are an officer and married, you cannot have sex with someone outside of your marriage. That is grounds for dismissal as well. And it is a good thing that this is the case for several reasons. Allowing such behavior diminishes morale and can subject an officer to blackmail.
Apples and oranges, you're comparing one person's sexuality to another's promiscuity. And the prohibition doesn't apply to just sexual relationships - fraternization includes casual friendships, business dealings, etc between officers and enlisted members.
Well if B signed a paper saying that he was not into humping M and he was caught humping M, then legally he has viloted the contract he signed and the military has legal authority to kick out B from the military.
You didn't answer the question. And I'd bet you were either not in a leadership role during your time in service, or you were a horrid leader. Either way, I would kick B out because (and this is what's damned important) he/she will not put aside his/her own prejudice to follow an order, thereby jeopardizing the entire team/mission. As you yourself have stated, men/women in the military are required to follow orders. Step back, take a deep breath, and think about it.

It did not change because of public pressure. It changed because the military conducted studies to prove that black solders were just as intelligent and capable as whites. Then the segregation ended.
So, are you saying openly homosexual men and women (I notice that you've focused on only men...a little telling, perhaps) are not as intelligent and capable as heterosexual men and women?

In fact, I am for gay marrage
This, in fact, does not allay that you do not support equal rights for homosexuals. But, hey, if it lets you hide that homophobia for a bit at night so you can get some sleep, at least it's something.
 
What initiative? All I heard was blah, blah, blah. No plan, no timeline, just tossing a bone to the stupid gays who still support him and keep ignoring the coming realization that Obama could care less.

I mostly agree with you, except the phrase is "couldn't care less".

Obama can't directly do anything about it anyway. Don't ask, don't tell was the result of legislation, which took the power to end the policy away from president and gave it to Congress. If Clinton hadn't signed the law, then Obama would still have the power to set the policy to whatever he wanted.
 
In all fairness, they do show the Spartans holding their ground using their formation. It's not until the attackers falter that the Spartans break ranks to finish off the stragglers (except for one or two places - and they suffer losses for doing so).

It doesn't matter. The phalanx fought as a phalanx to the end. It was the cavalry's job to finish off stragglers, if you had any.

Plus, I'm sure at least one scene is breaking formation while the Persian light infantry is still coming at them.

And in other movies, e.g., The Last Legion, it's even more stupid. They break formation willy-nilly, even before the first wave of enemies made contact.
 
As a test, I once posted an outrageous comment in the forum and at the end I posted, "just kidding" as a test to see who would read the entire comment before responding. There was one who did. This is not the same here, but if you read the whole post you would not have sliced and diced my post. I also remember in the 6th grade they would test kids by seeing who would read the whole instructions to a test befor launching into it. I don't mean to call you uneducated, maybe you are too passionate about something and need a time-out to gather your thoughts.

An irrelevant ad-hominem. Yes, I've read the whole message, it still reads like his answer is spot on. If there was any mis-understanding involved, well, then you need to work on _your_ writing skills.
 
You don't get it. If you don't get it, you never will. It does not mater, in the military. All that matters is winning the war.

Is breaking into my writing and taking something out of context a way of attacking something that you do not like?
How am I taking something out of context? You said it's better if everyone's the same sex and orientation. And I asked if you would apply that to race and religion, and if not, why not? I wonder why you are reluctant to answer these questions.

In a real sense, gays CAN serve in the military. If there was a draft you would not be excused if you tell the military that you are gay. If that was the case, people did not have to escape to Canada during Vietnam.

It is just that the military does not allow you to have sex with other men if you are a man.
This is false. DADT means you are kicked out if you are gay, whether or not you are having sex with other men. If a soldier went to his superior and said, "I'm gay, but don't worry, I'm not planning to act on it," then under DADT, he would be discharged.

Is it fair that the military can tell you who to have sex with and who you cannot have sex with? HELL YES! If you are an officer you cannot have sex with an enlisted person, that is grounds for dismissal. If you are an officer and married, you cannot have sex with someone outside of your marriage. That is grounds for dismissal as well. And it is a good thing that this is the case for several reasons. Allowing such behavior diminishes morale and can subject an officer to blackmail.
I agree with all of this. But is it fair that the military can tell you what sex you can have sex with when you're off-duty (or whatever they call it, on leave or whatever, I don't know the terminology)? I say no - if you say yes, then I ask you why?

Having these potential litte love tifs and love nests in the fox hole also diminishes morale. So women cannot serve on the front lines along side men under morst situations and the same thing with openly gay men.
Yeah, it doesn't follow. You haven't created a meaningful distinction between heterosexual relationships and homosexual relationships. And although I tend to agree with you that neither relationship should probably be allowed among soldiers who are serving, why is it an issue if a male soldier has a civilian boyfriend back home?

As a test, I once posted an outrageous comment in the forum and at the end I posted, "just kidding" as a test to see who would read the entire comment before responding. There was one who did. This is not the same here, but if you read the whole post you would not have sliced and diced my post. I also remember in the 6th grade they would test kids by seeing who would read the whole instructions to a test befor launching into it. I don't mean to call you uneducated, maybe you are too passionate about something and need a time-out to gather your thoughts.
If you didn't mean your insult to our armed services, you could have used a ;) or a :) or a [/sarcasm] or something like that. It sure looked to me like you meant it, and if I'm wrong, I don't think it's my fault.

They were just as much under the stress, and in fact probably more so, than the traditional military. The fact that they were acting in a military capacity in a war zone is what is important. The fact that by name they were not the standard armed forces is minutia.
I trust our armed forces, and its members ability to be disciplined and follow orders, more than I do employees of a private warfighting corporation, with its various guarantees of immunity, etc. I guess this is where we agree to disagree.

Straw Man and Ad Homemin.
It is of course neither. Strawman is where I ascribe to you a view you do not hold, for the purpose of refuting it. But the view I ascribed to you is the view that all straight men are homophobic, which is a view you said you hold. Not strawman. Ad hominem is where I say your argument is wrong because of some personal characteristic of you. If I point out that your argument is wrong and point out a personal characteristic of you, without the causal connection, then I have not done an ad hominem.

And if you think the military is the perfect battlefield to attack homophobia
Hey, here we have a great example of a strawman! Well done!
, you have even greater issues with logical thinking. I also never said I was homophobic.
You said all straight men are homophobic. So either (a) you are not a straight man, (b) you were lying, or (c) you are homophobic. You pick!
In fact, I am for gay marrage. You are resorting to reading things into what I write that I have not written.
I picked what I thought was the most sensible interpretation. If you are gay, a woman, or a liar, please let me know.

Well if B signed a paper saying that he was not into humping M and he was caught humping M, then legally he has viloted the contract he signed and the military has legal authority to kick out B from the military.
True, and if B signed a paper saying he was not into eating sauerkraut and then he was caught eating sauerkraut then they could kick him out too. But if we want our military to be effective, then why would we kick out good people for actions unrelated to their ability and willingness to serve? Why put traps in their contract?

It is neither your nor my call.
Thank goodness!
We have no authority to tell the generals and admirals what is fair and what is not and what gets the job done or not. If the generals and admirals think this or that is what it takes to get the war done and done quickly then they are given the authority to do whatever they want.
There is of course a civilian who outranks all the admirals and generals, and that civilian, at least in some sense, answers to the populace (you and me). What I'm saying is, in a democracy with a civilian-controlled military, this is our business, yours and mine. (I'm assuming you're a US citizen here; correct me if I'm wrong.)
They have total freedom and legal right. It does not matter what it involves with few exceptions. If they think someone should be shot for sleeping at his post, then that person is shot. The foot solder can protest a direct order but if that order is within a wide degree of reasonability, the foot solder is taken away for disobeying.

I can tell or I strongly sense you have not been in the military.
Would this be one of those ad hominems you were talking about, or did you have some legitimate point to make?
I also sense that you think you are too intelligent to be in the miltiary as well.
Based on what, exactly? Or is this just an insult thrown in for fun?

I was in the miltary.
Wow, it baffles me that you would insult them the way you have.

Let me give you an example of the world we are talking about. Blacks were once segregated in the military. And it was this way a for long time. It did not matter that society said it was not fair.

And, no I am not racist.

It did not change because of public pressure. It changed because the military conducted studies to prove that black solders were just as intelligent and capable as whites. Then the segregation ended.

What is the point of this, exactly?
 
linusrichard said:
You haven't created a meaningful distinction between heterosexual relationships and homosexual relationships. And although I tend to agree with you that neither relationship should probably be allowed among soldiers who are serving, why is it an issue if a male soldier has a civilian boyfriend back home?
Why should that even matter? PLENTY of men and women who are serving at FOB are sexually involved with each other.
 
Why should that even matter? PLENTY of men and women who are serving at FOB are sexually involved with each other.

All right, not being in the military, I don't really have the perspective needed to have an informed point of view on the topic. I believe the military should be able to forbid such relationships - whether they should exercise such ability is a less important point. My gut says they should, but that might be wrong.
 
All right, not being in the military, I don't really have the perspective needed to have an informed point of view on the topic. I believe the military should be able to forbid such relationships - whether they should exercise such ability is a less important point. My gut says they should, but that might be wrong.

Stress release ;)
 
You don't get it. If you don't get it, you never will. It does not mater, in the military. All that matters is winning the war.

Is breaking into my writing and taking something out of context a way of attacking something that you do not like?
How am I taking something out of context? You said it's better if everyone's the same sex and orientation. And I asked if you would apply that to race and religion, and if not, why not? I wonder why you are reluctant to answer these questions.

thestupiditburns.jpg


IF YOU READ MY WHOLE POST YOU WOULD SEE THAT I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. IN FACT, ONCE RACE WAS TREATED AS A FACTOR IN TREATING SOLDIERS DIFFERENTLY AND THE MILITARY DID NOT BOW TO PUBLIC PRESSURE TO CHANGE BUT CONDUCTED THEIR OWN STUDIES.

ALSO, THE COMMANDERS IN THE MILITARY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO THE END OF GETTING THEIR JOB DONE. AND IF RACE OR RELIGION OR THE COLOR OF SOMEONE'S EYES SOMEHOW CANE INTO PLAY, AS THEY SEE IT, THEN THEY WOULD USE THAT AS A MEANS TO GETTING A WAR WON.

I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION. READ THE WHOLE POST INSTEAD OF RESPONDING TO SOMETHING ONE SENTENCE AT A TIME.

ALSO, I NEVER SAID IT WAS BETTER IF EVERYONE HAD THE SAME SEXUAL ORIENTATION.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom