applecorped
Banned
- Joined
- Mar 8, 2008
- Messages
- 20,145
He assumed wrong.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2009/09/reaction_to_roman_polanski.html
Anne Applebaum at the Wash. Post continues to dig a deeper hole for herself with her defence of Polanski.
WTF? "Seduced" in scare quotes, as if Polanski didn't even seduce the girl when he drugged, raped, and sodomized her.Joan Shore said:The 13-year old model "seduced" by Polanski had been thrust onto him by her mother
She's so eager to excuse Polanski that she's making stuff up out of whole cloth.Joan Shore said:The girl was just a few weeks short of her 14th birthday, which was the age of consent in California. (It's probably 13 by now!)
Holy sweet jesus, now she portrays him as a victim.Shore said:Polanski was demonized by the press, convicted, and managed to flee
so Polanski ran away.
As mentionned earlier it wildly vary with historical and cultural setting. On some palce it is 12ish today, and it used to be 10, then it even depended whether you were homosexual or heterosexual, or even your gender (in France up to 1940 something it was/still is 15 with hetero, but 21 if you were homo).
As far as I can tell it is a real mess in the US where you can go from 15 to 21 as age of consent (21!!!!) with a median at 18.
I'm curious, though. Did Polanski have a reputation as having a thing for young girls? I hadn't heard that until now; but it has no bearing on anything as far as I'm concerned.
He packed it in,
And packed it up,
And sneaked away,
And buggered off,
And chickened out,
And pissed off home
Brave Polanski ran away.
(apologies to Monty Python)
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:I think he should be treated like everyone else.
From what I've read, some of the "blame" for this has been laid at the feet of Polanski's lawyers. A few months ago, when arguing that any charges against Polanski should be dropped and the matter closed, they pointedly complained that California had made no attempt at extradition in over 30 years and that this was obviously a case they preferred to ignore.
California, apparently, decided to up the ante.
According to a news release issued by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office earlier this week, state law enforcement officials were in talks with the RCMP about detaining Polanski in Calgary and having him extradited to California in December 1986 when it was discovered the director was thinking about shooting a movie in Canada.
When all else fails, there is always the economic reason why it is a bad omen to punish Roman
“The people of California- we’re broke. What are we going to do? We’re going to prosecute him with IOUs? Let’s figure out some other way to deal with this for the moment.”
John Ridley, former MSNBC co-host and a Huffington Post contributor,
Polanksi pled guilty to having sex with her. He did not plead guilty to raping her.
Having read through this entire monster thread:
1. I haven't spotted any links or citations showing that Polanski ever confirmed that the girl's statements about what happened on the night in question were true. If such a citation is available I'm happy to take their combined statements as being factual, in which case Polanski belongs in jail for a lengthy list of crimes.
2. Lacking such a citation, I think the position several posters have taken that the girl was telling the truth is insufficiently supported. Lacking such a citation bald claims like "Polanski raped a thirteen year old girl twice" are incorrect, and the posters making those claims should instead be saying "a thirteen year old girl alleges Polanski raped her twice".
Polanksi pled guilty to having sex with her. He did not plead guilty to raping her. It is possible that they had consensual sex and she lied about it later, just as it is possible that Polanski drugged her and raped her.
3. It seems that the likely outcome of Polanski staying in the USA was 48 days in prison followed by deportation. By fleeing the USA, voluntarily deporting himself as it were, he avoided 48 days in prison.
Certainly if due process is to be followed he should spend 48 days in a US prison but it's such a small length of time for a crime committed so long ago that I don't find the case for pursuing the matter very compelling.
1. I haven't spotted any links or citations showing that Polanski ever confirmed that the girl's statements about what happened on the night in question were true. If such a citation is available I'm happy to take their combined statements as being factual, in which case Polanski belongs in jail for a lengthy list of crimes.
2. Lacking such a citation, I think the position several posters have taken that the girl was telling the truth is insufficiently supported. Lacking such a citation bald claims like "Polanski raped a thirteen year old girl twice" are incorrect, and the posters making those claims should instead be saying "a thirteen year old girl alleges Polanski raped her twice".
Polanksi pled guilty to having sex with her. He did not plead guilty to raping her. It is possible that they had consensual sex and she lied about it later, just as it is possible that Polanski drugged her and raped her.
3. It seems that the likely outcome of Polanski staying in the USA was 48 days in prison followed by deportation. By fleeing the USA, voluntarily deporting himself as it were, he avoided 48 days in prison. Certainly if due process is to be followed he should spend 48 days in a US prison but it's such a small length of time for a crime committed so long ago that I don't find the case for pursuing the matter very compelling.
4. If you happened to have a TARDIS and a video camera in your back yard, and you went back and videotaped the alleged rape, and by doing so you obtained proof beyond reasonable doubt that Polanski raped the girl exactly as she described it, then I would obviously support trying Polanski for rape and giving him an appropriate sentence. If you don't have a TARDIS and Polanski has not confirmed the girl's story then this isn't going to happen.
5. If I've missed the link where Polanski admits to raping her, mea culpa. If I haven't, this thread is an embarrassing display of supposed skeptics leaping to vilify someone based on insufficient evidence and those of you who have been stating as a fact that Polanski is a rapist need to go to remedial skeptic training.
6. How to put this politely... from what I've read in Dan Savage's column (NSFW) over the years I would expect an anal rape that took place as described in the transcript at The Smoking Gun to leave detectable injuries that would have been documented by the police and presented at Polanski's trial as evidence of forcible rape. I'm not calling her a liar but if that exact sequence of events was presented in a sex scene in a work of fiction I think it would be seen as implausible. People's bits just don't work that way.
Possibly they just had no clue about aspects of forensic procedure we take for granted today in the seventies but a medical examination for evidence of injuries isn't exactly rocket science.
That oddity doesn't incline me to a conclusion either way but it does strike me as rather curious.
Having read through this entire monster thread:
1. I haven't spotted any links or citations showing that Polanski ever confirmed that the girl's statements about what happened on the night in question were true. If such a citation is available I'm happy to take their combined statements as being factual, in which case Polanski belongs in jail for a lengthy list of crimes.
2. Lacking such a citation, I think the position several posters have taken that the girl was telling the truth is insufficiently supported. Lacking such a citation bald claims like "Polanski raped a thirteen year old girl twice" are incorrect, and the posters making those claims should instead be saying "a thirteen year old girl alleges Polanski raped her twice".
3. It seems that the likely outcome of Polanski staying in the USA was 48 days in prison followed by deportation. By fleeing the USA, voluntarily deporting himself as it were, he avoided 48 days in prison. Certainly if due process is to be followed he should spend 48 days in a US prison but it's such a small length of time for a crime committed so long ago that I don't find the case for pursuing the matter very compelling.
Mr. Gunson (Deputy District Attorney): Do you understand that at this time, the Court has not made any decision as to what sentence you will receive?
The Defendant (Polanski): (No response.)
Mr. Gunson: Do you understand that the Judge has not made any decision?
The Defendant: Yes