• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Give autodidacts and independent learners a chance

... except that under his system everyone uses homemade credentials. So it would actually increase the weight of my IAI certificate because there's no validating agency to say that my IAI cert is worthless.

Or if there is, then the validating agency is also homemade -- and I can just as easily create a International Credentials Commission to print a certificate "validating" the IAI.

I should hope you don't agree with his line of reasoning. I can't see any rational person agreeing....

That's not quite true. They'd be allowed to use homemade credentials, but they would choose not to if they wanted to be in a legitimate profession.
 
... except that under his system everyone uses homemade credentials. So it would actually increase the weight of my IAI certificate because there's no validating agency to say that my IAI cert is worthless.

Or if there is, then the validating agency is also homemade -- and I can just as easily create a International Credentials Commission to print a certificate "validating" the IAI.

I should hope you don't agree with his line of reasoning. I can't see any rational person agreeing....

Are you sure?
The current diploma mill certificates get their value from people mistaking them for the real thing.
If there were no real thing they would have no value. Certificate would be a meaningless word.

(you overlooked the last line in my post "I do not agree")

How does it differ from everyone printing their own currency and letting the marked decide their value based on peoples reputation?
 
That's not quite true. They'd be allowed to use homemade credentials, but they would choose not to if they wanted to be in a legitimate profession.

I see a problem with internal logic here.

You are allowed homemade credentials, except for legitimate professions?
So what are the homemade ones good for?
 
I see a problem with internal logic here.

You are allowed homemade credentials, except for legitimate professions?
So what are the homemade ones good for?

They'd be legally allowed to use homemade credentials, but people wouldn't naturally respect those credentials or them. Plus, there could still be legal action if negligence resulted in death.
 
Last edited:
They'd be legally allowed to use homemade credentials, but people wouldn't naturally respect those credentials or them.
So you could design/print your own certificate and claim to be a real professional?
How are people supposed to tell the difference?
What would that do to the system of accreditation?

Plus, there could still be legal action if negligence resulted in death.
Yes, as everywhere, but a little late for the victims of fraud.
 
No, I'm anti-quack. They use licensing to protect their quackery. That's why it's becoming an issue. If fancy letters and pieces of paper had no legal ramifications, quackery would be reduced.

Of course, they could also post test scores(both written and practice), degrees, and any other credentials.

Secondly, I'm not even against licensing for professions. I'm just against accreditation involvement in licensing.

So are you against the entire FDA because if patent medicine didn't work people wouldn't buy it?

Bring Back Snake OIL!!!
 
So are you against the entire FDA because if patent medicine didn't work people wouldn't buy it?

Bring Back Snake OIL!!!


Yep.
The FDA would be replaced by private companies. You'd lots of FDAs competing.
Snake oil isn't even all bad. It's not that good, but some studies have shown that it can help with joint pain some.
 
Last edited:
Yep.
The FDA would be replaced by private companies. You'd lots of FDAs competing.
Snake oil isn't even all bad. It's not that good, but some studies have shown that it can help with joint pain some.
So you are pro-quack.
Oh yes, please post these "some studies have shown that it can help with joint pain some."
 
So you are pro-quack.
Oh yes, please post these "some studies have shown that it can help with joint pain some."

No, I'd condemn the quackery personally, but wouldn't throw them in jail unless they were deliberately trying to kill people. I'll find a few of those studies, but you're right snake oil isn't a panacea. It's just not the worst thing for you.
 
No, I'd condemn the quackery personally, but wouldn't throw them in jail unless they were deliberately trying to kill people. I'll find a few of those studies, but you're right snake oil isn't a panacea.
And if they "accidentally" kill people? What if they prevent people from getting real treatment and dying? Do tell.

It's just not the worst thing for you.
You are wrong as usual
http://whatstheharm.net/
 
And if they "accidentally" kill people? What if they prevent people from getting real treatment and dying? Do tell.


You are wrong as usual
http://whatstheharm.net/

You're way off paxi.
1)Preventing people from getting real treatment is deliberately killing them.

2)Your site doesn't seem to mention snake oil as generally harmful.

3)Snake oil has a lot of Eicosapentaenoic acid. That helps a lot. It's like fish oil.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-fishoil.html
 
Last edited:
You're way off paxi.
1)Preventing people from getting real treatment is deliberately killing them.

2)Your site doesn't seem to mention snake oil as generally harmful.

3)Snake oil has a lot of Eicosapentaenoic acid. That helps a lot. It's like fish oil.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-fishoil.html
facepalm.jpg


Please do some reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil_salesman
 
It's a minor point. I know snake oil was touted as a panacea for years by crooked salesmen but snake oil is reasonably healthy. It's just not a cure for any of the diseases the salesmen mentioned.

Or are the National Institutes of Health not credible by your standards? It's equivalent to fish oil.
 
It's a minor point. I know snake oil was touted as a panacea for years by crooked salesmen but snake oil is reasonably healthy. It's just not a cure for any of the diseases the salesmen mentioned.

And you have no problem with someone selling it as a panacea.
 
Just like the IAI competes with the American Medical Association and the state Board of Health.

You're pro-quack.

It does? Who cares about the IAI? I don't listen to it. I don't know anybody who does. So, let your hypothetical organization(it is hypothetical right?) exist.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom