Originally Posted by H'ethetheth
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I'm basically a fresh engineer (since last december). You can see part of my thesis project in my avatar. It's a render of plastic head of the robotic zebra fish larva I developed for Wageningen University to do performance measurements with. Unfortunately, there was only money to hire me for a couple of months to get the build started after I graduated, so I'm looking for a job at the moment.
ETA: Oh, and I see I forgot to mention what kind of aerospace. Well, all kinds, basically. My major (not sure if that's the right term) was design and integration, so you could say I'm a generalist. Among specialists you could also say that I know next to nothing about just about anything.
Welcome to the ranks.
A thought for you... Lots of poeple knows scientists. Few people know engineers. Learn about the luminaries in your field. There are some absolutely incredible stories.
A couple of suggestions:
The real story of Tesla & Westinghouse.
James Watt
Harold Edgerton (inventor of the strobe, and E in EG&G)
Kelly Johnson (skunk works, of course)
Elmer Sperry (gyroscope)
The story of radar (as told in "The device that changed the world" by Buderi)
The incredible engineering challenges behind the atom & H bomb ("The making of the atom bomb" & "Dark Sun", by R Rhodes.
These are all astounding stories. It'll make you feel proud to be part of a fraternity to be familiar with them.
Tom
PS. And a person whose name gets thrown around a lot in here has got a lifetime of achievement that puts him in with all of these guys: Zdenek Bazant. Check out his CV & bibliography page at Northwestern...
Thank you Tom and Hetheneethhehth...
What's notable about these posts are the following:
1. A young engineer has absorbed the tools of academic engineering and is receptive to learn - as we all do and did, from the life experience of those rationalists before us.
Newton saw further because he stood on the shoulders of giants.
FineWine appears tall because he stands on the piled-up carcasses of idiots.
The rest of us stand in line to get a piece of what's left.
2. tfk has discerningly selected exceptional engineers to learn from.
3. tfk's advice reflects wisdom from experience and judgement - the ability to make wise assessments.
"The wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." - Hume
This is the main failure of the Conspiracy Hypothesists (CHs) - they are immature in judgement- regardless of age.