Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged
That might be the case, for many of them. Though, I would not necessarily throw that as a blanket statement over all of them.I call this a learning disability.
This might be a good topic for a separate thread, if you would like to start one.
The hypothesis of Evolution (that natural processes are sufficient) implies that intelligence is not necessary. It does not imply such higher intelligence could not exist.That may be true, however if one is advocating ID as a scientific theory, that forces the question of the existence of a creator to be a matter for scientific inquiry and discussion and would require evidence as would any other competing hypothesis.
I.D., on the other hand, implies that it must.
One has a better history of making discoveries, than the other.
I am considering asking a question related to this, but everything I come up with sounds weak.
Perhaps it could better to ask: What can be gained by adding ID into the mix, in medical research?Unfair question. What is applied in medical science is an understanding of natural selection, a part of evolutionary thinking that isn't disputed by IDers or even Young Earth Creationists.
However, a lot of "macro-evolution", which ID specifically denies, is relevant to these fields, as well. Endangered species are examined (physically and behaviorally) with their common ancestors taken into consideration. And "new complex features" on animals, especially insects, are sometimes documented.
I agree that it is not necessary for science to have a practical application.Also if all science had to have an practical application, we would have to throw away an awful lot of science.
But, if there are two competing "theories": One already happens to be way ahead of the curve on practical applications, and the other contributes nothing, you have to bring that up, somehow.
You might like the last question I contributed, about the thrill of discovery, better.
I am sure your answer is accurate. But, I would be curious to know what their answer is going to be. Just what problems do they think they are solving?!Probably because they aren't trying to solve any real scientific problem, but rather are attempting to find scientific problems that the Theory of Evolution can't solve. (Not much luck so far)
Perhaps you are right. I might not pose the question, like that, to someone like Michael Behe. Though, I might still be inclined to pose it to someone like Kent Hovind.Unfair question. Proponents of Intelligent Design aren't claiming that evolution is a hoax. It isn't even claimed to be a hoax by most Young Earth Creationists.
My point is that they do not even seem to think the question is important to answer, scientifically. Even though such evidence would be a profound clincher, if it was discovered.According to proponents of Intelligent Design, the evidence of a designer is in the biological structures that couldn't have formed without a designer. They don't necessarily claim there is more direct evidence.
If an ID was necessary, there should be some early, potentially testable, hypothesis about its nature. Assuming there is a real interest in doing science, right?
I would still like to know how they would actually answer.That is an easy question to answer: their whole "research program" consists of criticism of an empirical science.
Well, with all due respect, It could be wrong. Maybe God, himself, sculpted each individual fossil skeleton, for example. That idea, though not testable, is not ruled out by Evolution, if we are speaking in strict terms.No, it may not.
In another sense: It might be possible that Evolution via Natural Selection is merely an approximation, of some other, more fundamental process, yet to be discovered. It could be possible the Evolution will seem as quaint and outdated as miasma theory ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miasma_theory_of_disease ), in the distant future. Miasma was a viable theory, that actually helped fight some diseases, until Germ Theory proved to be much more accurate.
I specified NEW discoveries. Not re-hashes of stuff we already considered.Wouldn't amoronI.D. believer be a lot more thrilled about discovering evidence of creation than a science nerd would be about discovering evidence of evolution?