• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

I don't want to die

The paradoxical good news is that, when you die, you won't have to worry about dying. Even if you wanted to worry, you will not be able to cause there will be no you in the first place to worry.... or unworry.... or reach a verdict about the whole issue.... or start worrying about some other thing

There will be no you. You won't exist. No mind. Nothing
 
That's strange, I'm far more bothered by the idea of living forever than having a finite life.
If I lived forever I'd probably eventually be driven to intense despair and try to kill myself anyways.
 
The idea of one day being dead does not concern me in the slightest, since once I am dead, I will not know anything about it, or anything else for that matter.

The idea of dying annoys the hell out of me, so I don't think about it very much. There are still so many things I wish to do and see, and experience, and such little time to do it all in (I will be 60 this year).

I don't want to ever reach a point where I know I am about to die (if that occurs), so my hope is simply to eventually go to sleep one night and not wake up the next morning.

That would be the best of all worlds.

Norm
 
Maybe I'm overreacting to this no afterlife question. But I lost faith recently and I have problems seeing how can one be calm and die piece fully. I don't want do die. I want to live for ever!:blush::boxedin:
I think most people go through a period like that. For me, I was maybe seven, and at that time I was, let's say, rather optimistic about my abilities. There was so much in life I wanted to do, and I realized that even if I had a long life, I would only be able to do very few of those things. So I figured that maybe if I dedicated my life to finding eternal life, I wouldn't have to die, and then I could do everything. But, optimistic as I was, the realist in me told me that finding eternal life would probably be extremely difficult, and there would be a high probability that I would fail. Also, of all the things that interested me, biology wasn't nearly at the top. So there'd be a big risk that I would waste my only life doing something that I didn't really like all that much. So I gave up that idea.

I haven't had thoughts like that in years, and I think that the trick is to worry more about the present than about the future (or the past, for that matter). Know yourself. Do you like your life as it is today? If not, what is it that most disturbs you? What could be better? What can you do about it?
 
You know, speaking of death, my uncle died when he was 33. He left behind a wife and two young kids. I was 7 when he died, and I remember being told about it and thinking he was so old. Here I am now, 33, with a wife and two young kids, and just being grateful I ain't dead yet. I suppose if it was just me I'd sell everything and be a cynic the rest of my days, but I have the responsibilities of family life keeping my nose to the grindstone.
 
Hi Tekniques!

Welcome to the forum!

Great 1st post :)

One q:

How/why/etc is a fear of death rational?

To me, its like fear of a sunrise... or any other inevitable event

Thank you for the welcome, it's good to be here.

I feel it is rational because fear of losing a prized posession is perfectly resonable. I suppose my consciousness is one of my most prized, if not THE most prized posession I own.

Inevitability does mean i have to accept it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or be unfettered by it.
 
....

Maybe I'm overreacting to this no afterlife question. But I lost faith recently and I have problems seeing how can one be calm and die piece fully. I don't want do die. I want to live for ever!:blush::boxedin:
And maybe I'm skeptical of this claim because I've seen too many liars for Jesus on this forum thinking this kind of lie was some cleverly disguised way of getting atheists to see what they are missing.

But, if you are sincere, welcome. Isn't it better to go by the evidence there are no magical gods and afterlife than to waste your days on the planet worshiping a myth in the belief life starts after you die? Think of how much time the Pharaohs wasted building their pyramids to heaven. Why would today's god beliefs be any less foolish?

Enjoy your life. If you enjoy the book, read it. If you are forcing yourself to read for some goal you don't have your heart in, don't. If you have the money to quit work and think you will enjoy retirement, retire. If not, oh well, if there's no real choice, why waste emotions dwelling on it?

I'd like to live long enough for modern medicine to extend our lives. My big fear is dying just before they come up with a way to regenerate all our organs. As for fulfillment through work, look at it as working to improve the collective human population. Why not? We're all part of the species.

Do what you are happy doing and if you can't, then worrying about it certainly isn't making it better.
 
Live each moment as if there will be a billion more moments, because after you are gone there are no regrets.
You are immortal until the day you die.
 
And maybe I'm skeptical of this claim because I've seen too many liars for Jesus on this forum thinking this kind of lie was some cleverly disguised way of getting atheists to see what they are missing.

Didn't think of that but it does seem to be a distinct possibility. Weird that these people would think they could think of something we havent thought of yet, and we would say "Oh wow i never thought of that!" lulz
 
I understand what you mean ''fromdownunder'' . I'm also way less worried about being dead than process of dieing. I don't want to die like coward, gasping for air and clinging to life what's slipping away. I'm afraid that I will want to live and will die with look of horror on my face.

Yea, and BTW queen video wins.
 
Last edited:
I understand what you mean. I'm also way less worried about being dead than process of dieing. I don't want to die like coward, gasping for air and clinging to life what's slipping away. I'm afraid that I will want to live and will die with look of horror on my face.

Too many horror movies bud. Concentrate on not living like a coward and everything else will fall into place.
 
Well, in US and Western Europe most people live past 70 by now. When I am 50 (which will be in 7 years, BTW), I expect to have rather more than 20 more years to enjoy life.

And perhaps a lot more:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html

Hm, interesting, I would love to have more data.. do you have any?


ETA: What i find basically says that it is pseudoscience. That doesn't surprise me much, and maybe what i have found is wrong.
 
Last edited:
I understand what you mean. I'm also way less worried about being dead than process of dieing. I don't want to die like coward, gasping for air and clinging to life what's slipping away. I'm afraid that I will want to live and will die with look of horror on my face.
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did

Not screaming with fear, like his passengers
 
I don't want to die. I want to live for ever. I think learning things to lose them is torment. I like to live, but every thinking about death brings my mood down.
There is no reason to believe to afterlife, at least that's what I think at a moment. But living without hope for afterlife isn't pleasant thing for me.

For example, I was reading interesting history book, and I liked it, but then I started to think about death and now, I have no more wish to continue reading it, because, if after some 40 years I'll be dead, maybe I better stop learning and just enjoy rest of my days.

At a moment I don't even understand anymore why people who are 50 years old go to work. They will die in next 20 years or so. wouldn't it be better if they would sell everything, go around world doing all things what they wanted and when money runs out....

Maybe I'm overreacting to this no afterlife question. But I lost faith recently and I have problems seeing how can one be calm and die piece fully. I don't want do die. I want to live for ever!:blush::boxedin:
Have you ever considered using our patented Religion™? Guaranteed to alleviate all fears about death, instantly!®
 
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.


Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas


Some people like that poem, but personally, I think it's pretty stupid. I'll save my energy to rage against something I can do something about. We're all going to die, so enjoy the ride while you can and be nice to your fellow passengers in the Death Express.
 
Have you ever considered using our patented Religion™? Guaranteed to alleviate all fears about death, instantly!®

Don't listen to him! Our Religion™ is the real one, and backed thousands of years of research! Money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with the quality of your afterlife! We know the Real Truth™, and by joining us, so can you!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom