Yes, quite - perhaps I phrased myself poorly.They aren't capitalists, that's the thing. It was an argument against communism.
He wouldn't, I suppose. I don't see how this is a problem for communism, though. I mean, "community" is right in the name.My question was why would he work for a community with nothing to offer him? Especially when his own community has a surplus of goods they are willing to pay him so long as the bridges remain built and he makes himself product.
Yes, quite - perhaps I phrased myself poorly.
I meant, the man in question has no reason to build bridges for a group that has nothing to offer him in a capitalist society, either. Removing communism from the picture does not solve that particular problem.
He wouldn't, I suppose. I don't see how this is a problem for communism, though. I mean, "community" is right in the name.
Bollocks.
You owe a working man every bloody cent you promised him. Speculators deserve what they get if, and only IF, they have done something for somone.
If you gamble and lose, bend over and take it. you still owe laborers for any services rendered, every dime of it, before any of your investors or managers get their unearned share of what is left of the company. That includes old age pensions. Just putting up with the crap that the investor class habds a working man should be compensated. Do you think that working people would have any reason to sit there and take the abuse if they could not count on a comfortable old age?
The investor class are a breed apart from working people. Their reward is in the risk, the thrill of the game. Don't tell a worn-out, weary old man about to retire that, "Hey, sometimes you win, some times you lose. Get back in the game."
These people have had their fun and it is time they started taking their lumps like responsible grown-ups. Reagan is dead and his policies are starting to smell like his corpse as well.
By KF's hypothesis, people who need the man's services don't have briefcases of money, nor, indeed, anything else that he wants.In the communist system , various thugs take turns pointing their guns at him, while in capitalism, they wave briefcases of money in his face.
But surely the communist answer to that would be that the communist society is all one big community and that one of the conditions for which this community pays him is that he's works where it tells him to.Ok, you're still failing to understand me. Forget about his dilemma on where to work. He's already working for his own community that he resides in and is well compensated for his work. Now, he's approached by another poorer community. If there is no incentive for him to work for this other community, how do they get him to build a bridge for him? The short answer is they can't.
Who the hell decides what "provisions' are necessary anyway? The government? Internet badass wannabes?
When you get down to it, what Lefty is saying all boils down to:
By KF's hypothesis, people who need the man's services don't have briefcases of money, nor, indeed, anything else that he wants.
Indeed, I'd just want to expand upon that. Who determines what "need" is necessary? Who determines who needs more than another?
And what I wonder if he realizes is that if you do go through with such a plan, that you'll still have class warfare? The masses, and the government who controls their lives.
But surely the communist answer to that would be that the communist society is all one big community and that one of the conditions for which this community pays him is that he's works where it tells him to.
the People could determine it by democratic decisions.
Of course! Now why can't an employer and an employee decide what the value of his work is?
Of course! Now why can't an employer and an employee decide what the value of his work is?
OK - but why isn't it a problem for capitalism then? I don't see how admitting a failure makes it less of a failure in a practical sense.No he doesn't and that is something capitalism will admit freely.
Yes, but this is true regardless of the economic system. Your answer seems to be (as far as I can tell) that communism fails because it won't admit that. I guess in an academic sense maybe, but in any practical environment they'd probably just work it out (ignoring the myriad other issues with communism for the moment).If there is no incentive for him to work for this other community, how do they get him to build a bridge for him? The short answer is they can't.
well i think there should be limitations . a minimum but also a maximum.
but thats my personal oppinion. because i think it is imoral when managers "earn" more a day than non management workers a month.
OK - but why isn't it a problem for capitalism then? I don't see how admitting a failure makes it less of a failure in a practical sense.
Yes, but this is true regardless of the economic system. Your answer seems to be (as far as I can tell) that communism fails because it won't admit that. I guess in an academic sense maybe, but in any practical environment they'd probably just work it out (ignoring the myriad other issues with communism for the moment).
My answer is that the situation is actually relatively rare; generally, some sort of barter system would be worked out in the absence of currency (political bargaining/bartering is how a lot of international situations get resolved currently).
well i think there should be limitations . a minimum but also a maximum.
but thats my personal oppinion. because i think it is imoral when managers "earn" more a day than non management workers a month.
But, in your hypothetical, the government has nothing the man wants. Presumably he would turn them down, then, and this option becomes moot - the government/community still doesn't have its bridge.there at least exists the option of the government to hire this man to build the bridge.