If you hire a man for a day, you owe him the value of a day's provisdions,
You have not established that all work is worth a day's provisions. You have in fact acknowledged elsewhere that some work is
not worth a day's provisions.
unless he does something so obviously wrong that you can take him to small claims court.
This is the fallacy of the excluded middle. If we assume that a day's provisions (food, clothing, and shelter) is, say $250, you are staking out the ground that there is no middle ground between work that is destructive and costs the employer money (fouling up the brick wall, mistakenly tearing down the nursing home), and work that is worth $250. You are stating that work is either utterly worthless, or is worth at least $250, with no possibility of its being worth anything in between. This is nonsense.
If you think that it is right for you to retain people who have not utterly screwed up the job at less than a living wage, you are demanding a subsidy from them, and they have no reason to give it to you.
I demand nothing. Free men in free markets can not demand anything. I can
ask a man to work for $100 a day, and he can
ask that I pay him $500. But in a free market, I can no more compel him to take $100 than he can compel me to pay $500. If, as free men, we agree on a price for his labor, that means we have agreed that the value of his labor is that price - not some artificial and meaningless "day's provisions" standard.
And if we don't agree on a price for his labor, he is free to take his labor to someone else and try to sell it to that person. Just as I am free to try to find someone who will work for the price I am willing to pay for his labor.
If a man's work is not worth a day's provisions, why would you keep him on for more than a day unless you are utterly retarded and not qualified to run a business?
Because it is worth something - just not as much as you think it is.