Would it matter whether the columns further down are stronger or not,
when nothing or little of the stress waves is transmitted to the structure below?
At the early stages of collapse, the columns above and below are about the same strength, and failure favors the columns below for reasons I already indicated.
After a few floors worth of collapse, the columns above are hitting the debris in between, opposing only the momentum of the upper block, whereas the columns below oppose the momentum of the upper block
and the accumulated debris. So shortly into the collapse, the lower structure suffers much larger hits. This is enough to overcome the relative strength difference between upper and lower columns.
Also, because the columns below are not homogeneous, stress waves don't transmit into them very well. Much of the wave is reflected at the splices. This is yet another factor that keeps the failures near the point of impact instead of loading the entire column, the full height of the building, at once. This is true even for planar waves, and even more true for torsional waves.
Now, assuming that the outcome of this experiment is positive, would this be the first
experiment in history to demonstrate this phenomena, to your knowledge?
No. The model would repeat a phenomenon seen twice in nature -- in WTC 1 and 2 themselves.
There are also several mathematical experiments that have already confirmed these results, and none that question them (except unreviewed ones with obvious mathematical errors), plus a couple of simulated experiments that also confirm the result. But I do not know of a
physical model anyone has assembled that replicates this situation accurately.
I suspect this is due to three factors: First, it's a difficult thing to model. Lots of complexity.
Second, I don't believe there is anyone who understands the science, yet doubts the result. There's little motivation for a real researcher to do it.
Third, those who
are motivated, viz. the Truth Movement, do not appear interested in doing it properly.
But if anyone wants to do it, I encourage you, and the third show attempts to show you how. I'll be glad to critique your efforts.