Meadmaker
Unregistered
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2004
- Messages
- 29,033
I'm going to describe an incredibly stupid plan to stimulate the economy. At least, it seems incredibly stupid to me. Maybe you will disagree. I want to hear comments on exactly what is stupid about it.
My plan is to take a certain amount of your income, proportional to your current taxes, and replace it with gift cards. Those gift cards can be used at retail stores, restaurants, or all the other sorts of places you use gift cards now. However, they couldn't be used on unprepared foods (i.e. restaurants are ok. Grocery stores are not.) Nor on medicine. Nor on rent or utilities. Nor on gasoline, etc. Consumer goods only, please. If you are subject to withholding, you would start getting gift cards immediately. Those of you who pay estimated taxes would see an extra boost in your taxes, and you would get the gift cards in the mail after you file your estimated taxes.
Of course, the "gift cards" would be renamed "stimulus cards".
Stimulus cards could be applied toward major purchases, such as automobiles.
The purpose of this plan would be to stimulate demand again. Get people spending money. Wal-Mart would have to hire more employees, and those employees would in turn spend more money, and the economy would be rolling again.
I hope everyone would agree that that plan would be very, very, stupid. But, why? More importantly, why would it be any stupider than the last two brands of stimulus we have tried? Bush borrowed money and sent checks in the mail in the hope we would spend it. His last stimulus package was seen as largely ineffective because many people paid off debts with it, instead of buying more junk. That wouldn't happen with stimulus cards!
Obama is taking a different approach. Instead, we'll hire people, put them to work on ......something. Who cares what? Then, they'll spend their paychecks. That's fine, but you could accomplish the same thing with a mandatory stimulus card, and would not be running up the national debt at the same time.
The more I think about things, the more I think that any plan that depends on manipulating consumer behavior is just stupid. If we really want to stimulate demand, it seems to me that Meadmaker's stupid plan would be the ultimate way to do just that. Despite that, it still seems awfully stupid to me. Maybe any attempt to manipulate consumer behavior is misguided from the start.
I don't want the Stupid Stimulus Plan to be taken seriously. However, I would like to hear why that plan is much stupider than other attempts to stimulate the economy via tax cuts, rebate checks, or public works spending. If you think there is a good way to stimulate the economy, I would like to hear why your plan is superior to the Stupid Stimulus Plan.
And if you can't think of one, I want the contract to run the datacenter to support the IT infrastructure for processing the stimulus cards.
My plan is to take a certain amount of your income, proportional to your current taxes, and replace it with gift cards. Those gift cards can be used at retail stores, restaurants, or all the other sorts of places you use gift cards now. However, they couldn't be used on unprepared foods (i.e. restaurants are ok. Grocery stores are not.) Nor on medicine. Nor on rent or utilities. Nor on gasoline, etc. Consumer goods only, please. If you are subject to withholding, you would start getting gift cards immediately. Those of you who pay estimated taxes would see an extra boost in your taxes, and you would get the gift cards in the mail after you file your estimated taxes.
Of course, the "gift cards" would be renamed "stimulus cards".
Stimulus cards could be applied toward major purchases, such as automobiles.
The purpose of this plan would be to stimulate demand again. Get people spending money. Wal-Mart would have to hire more employees, and those employees would in turn spend more money, and the economy would be rolling again.
I hope everyone would agree that that plan would be very, very, stupid. But, why? More importantly, why would it be any stupider than the last two brands of stimulus we have tried? Bush borrowed money and sent checks in the mail in the hope we would spend it. His last stimulus package was seen as largely ineffective because many people paid off debts with it, instead of buying more junk. That wouldn't happen with stimulus cards!
Obama is taking a different approach. Instead, we'll hire people, put them to work on ......something. Who cares what? Then, they'll spend their paychecks. That's fine, but you could accomplish the same thing with a mandatory stimulus card, and would not be running up the national debt at the same time.
The more I think about things, the more I think that any plan that depends on manipulating consumer behavior is just stupid. If we really want to stimulate demand, it seems to me that Meadmaker's stupid plan would be the ultimate way to do just that. Despite that, it still seems awfully stupid to me. Maybe any attempt to manipulate consumer behavior is misguided from the start.
I don't want the Stupid Stimulus Plan to be taken seriously. However, I would like to hear why that plan is much stupider than other attempts to stimulate the economy via tax cuts, rebate checks, or public works spending. If you think there is a good way to stimulate the economy, I would like to hear why your plan is superior to the Stupid Stimulus Plan.
And if you can't think of one, I want the contract to run the datacenter to support the IT infrastructure for processing the stimulus cards.
