Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor
- Joined
- May 21, 2003
- Messages
- 25,141
Unless Iraq flowers as a democracy, (unlikely), it was not worth a single cent of my money.
I don't think that's enough. I think to answer to the question is "Overall, were the interests of the US helped by our invasion of Iraq?" and I think the answer to that question if a pretty solid "no". What you are talking about is winning the battle, not the war.
Call me an idealist, but in my opinion, "US interests" and freedom are one and the same.
Of course, if it all goes to hell, they'll have no problem pinning every iota of blame on Bush.
I'd call you tragically deluded.
In practice such freedom includes a country's right to develop nuclear weapons, like Iran may or may not be doing.In my opinion, "US interests" and freedom ought to be one and the same. Of course, that isn't always the case historically, but it should be. I believe that if we can advance the cause of freedom, we should do so, even if it means giving people the freedom to hate us. (For one thing, I don't think free people will hate us. They might resent our nation's power, and might try to prevent expansion of that power, but that's a different thing.)
Call me an idealist, but in my opinion, "US interests" and freedom are one and the same.





It doesn't seem right to kill that many people. There is no way this whole debacle should be seen as justifiable, regardless of the outcome. How can we know what might have happened had we not gone to war? Maybe worked some other angles?
I'd hate to think, that if Iraq becomes a model country of the world, it would strengthen our feelings about similar, future approaches to our problems.
Its great to see a rape victim overcome their trauma and create a good life for themselves...but the rapist shouldn't be proud to play a role.
Bush gets no credit from Iraqis. The guy who threw the shoes at him is a national hero.
Are you actually referring to the US here? Because that country walks more like an oversized Godzilla.the country that walks softly but carries a big stick.
Dead link. Got the CNN version of a 404 error...Page not there...The monument to their "national hero" lasted 1 day. Did you think it was coincidental that Muntadhir al-Zaidi's shoe monument found a home in the region of Tikrit, Saddams's birth place? I guess some in Iraq still consider Saddam a national hero as well. He is in good company.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/me...shoe.monument/
Are you actually referring to the US here? Because that country walks more like an oversized Godzilla.
Dead link. Got the CNN version of a 404 error...Page not there...
I said the US walks like an oversized Godzilla - lots of noise, earth trembling, etc.How could an "oversized Godzilla" have trouble crushing Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan? It seems it would just squash the entire country without a moment of hesitation.
Brilliant analogy. Iraq was a victim of a sex crime perpetrated by the the country that walks softly but carries a big stick. You could probably win a Mother Jones free subscription using this in a letter to the editor.
I said the US walks like an oversized Godzilla - lots of noise, earth trembling, etc.
But while the country has a big, and very expensive stick, it's by far not big enough to back all that noise up.
Actually the opposite of "walk softly, carry a big stick".
Thanks.
I don't think we can ignore the number of people we killed and made homeless with this war. Its the main reason why we lost. Our own war deaths; public image; extreme debt, are icing on the cake. Its fair to blame Bush.