Well, it was a start.
I wonder if you can see the problem with your method of discerning truth, there.

I gained confidence that big-mass falls faster than little-mass because no-one stepped in and corrected me, apart from you, but you turned out to be right.
No contradiction, I think, John. Usually, if I get responses that are said to contradict my claims, they turn out to be false, or apples and pears.
I am looking for more evidence, but haven't found anything at all. The balloon search began like that, too. A lot is coming up about rail wheel research, which I haven't looked much at. I guess it's much more vital, and relates to railway safety, and is probably more about lateral movements and derailing than whatever forward-backward position the contact takes w.r.t. the axle.
Not easy to find, I agree.
I hope you might find time and post any you find supporting your version of events. Perhaps it would also be fun if you explained the mechanics of your version, too, rather than just asserting it. I thought the patch would be in front if anything, and when mender said you had it backwards, I decided to dare to discuss what I felt should happen. I gave clear reasons, if non-technical ones, and even physical experiments that one might do with a piece of rubber. Imagine a piece of rubber is a wheel fixed to a vehicle with some fair amount of resistance from friction. Find a roundish rubber (er, do I need to say "eraser" for you guys over the pond?). Pretend your hand is the vehicle and start turning the rubber against your desk. Does it not tend to pile up in front?
You are confusing the distortion of the rubber with where the driving force is, and you need to drive it from the axle not the rim. Tyres are complex, and have controlled modes of flexure, because they must also handle cornering forces etc.
(As an side, an engineer told me that marketing would often reject tyre designs, because they did no look 'aggressive enough'. I found that disquieting.)
ETA: The forward distortion that you see in soft rubber is the 'plough' of the rear acting force.
Think of a car in soft and or mud. A belt moving belt under the wheels cannot do that, without moving the cart along with it, let alone create a force from the rear, to be in the opposite direction.
If your wheel has sticky surface, and you roll it over a sheet of paper, then the paper will shear a way from the rear.
What's your version? Do you think that the driven wheel moves the contact patch behind the axle first to initiate motion? Does the wheel drive its axle forward w.r.t. ground, leaving the contact position behind?
Good luck!
The car is in forward motion, so the driving force must come as thrust from behind the driving axle. The contact patch, the reactive frictional force of the ground, must also be from behind the axle.
It is not possible for for the wheel to drag the vehicle forward in front of the axle, because the first point of contact lies directly under the axle. That is why the wheel must deform to some degree for driven motion to occur. The only option for forward motion, is behind the axle.
This is also why locomotives can pull more than their weight. The static friction of the driving wheels against steel is low and due to gravity, and lying under the axle. Force of acceleration distorts the wheel and track to produce a higher rolling friction, allowing greater loads to be hauled, because the hauled wheels will still have something like the lower static friction.
Early railway engineers did not know this, and built geared tracks and even legs. (Brunton's and Blackinson's engines.)
There, something that has been learned about classical mechanics in the last 200 years.