GregLondon
Scholar
- Joined
- Dec 6, 2008
- Messages
- 102
History repeating itself is pretty similar
Yes, I've noticed a similar pattern as well.
History repeating itself is pretty similar
Nope, it's not a strawman, it's taken from your own words as to how everyone but you is "pwned" by Humber -- in this context that's the very definition of "superior". Clearly as you can see from others responses I'm not the only one to notice this.
JB
Now we have Greg London sucked into Humber's abyss exactly the same as everyone else but yet feeling superior about it.
LOL. Humber without Greg could never be so entertaining.
Greg, meet Humber. Humber, meet Greg.
You two will get along famously.
JB
Marriage is imminent.
When a normal object is rolled along a belt, be it an orange or a packet of biscuits on the belt of the supermarket checkout, it gains KE when moving with or against the belt.
This is not the case with the treadmill, where objects appear not to be able to move down the belt, yet move towards zero KE when in motion in the other direction. I think that last claim is special pleading in order to save a model from failure. What do you think, Michael_C?
The old one finger pointing means 3 others pointing back at you.
I find this thread absolutely enertaining. I could never put in as much effort has some with Humber, but I've been the benificiary so I'm grateful to both sides for the fun.
He's stone cold crazy, but he's creative, witty, has good writing skills and he's got great patience and isn't an 'escalator' -- if you poke him he pokes back (as he should be able to) but always within relative reason.
A lot of fun this humber guy.
JB
But really Humber, come on, be a sport, please state your laws of motion. It is too hard to glean them from your general postings. I want to see them clean and shiny, standing on their own.
One of your best retorts ever JB. Kudos! It may well earn you a citation in Principia Humberticus.Motion is denied.
JB
Does the context make it better?
Here are some nominations, anyway. It's not just about being wrong, there are so many different ways to be wrong:
If the force from a parachute is linear with velocity, then that is simply;
Power (available) = force* distance/time = force * velocity.
No. Motion relative to the supermarket belt is also relative to the ground.I think that we could add that quote to the list of "best (or is it worst?) of humber": you explain your nonsense with even more nonsense. You appear to see a magical difference between a supermarket belt and a treadmill. The KE of an object depends on your chosen frame of reference; if the object changes velocity, this can mean either an increase or a decrease in its KE, depending on the frame of reference. If you choose one solid object, it's always possible to find a frame of reference where that object has zero KE: just choose a frame moving at the same velocity as the object. As soon as the object changes velocity, it will gain KE relative to the chosen frame.
But I won't waste any more time trying to explain frames of reference. Instead, here are the physics problems for today:
It will show, amongst other things, the acceleration due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, and the near constant acceleration due to the rotation of the planet. Perhaps you mean a relative accelerometer. Let's say a not-quite accurate-zero, then.1. What value does an accelerometer show in an elevator, stationary at the surface of the earth?
Acceleration due to gravity,g.2. What value does an accelerometer show in an elevator in free fall at the surface of the earth? The elevator is falling in a vacuum: its fall is not being slowed down by any mechanical friction or air drag.
It shows the acceleration due to its orbit, otherwise it falls out of orbit.3. What value does an accelerometer show in an unpowered spaceship orbiting the earth?
It is spinning?4. What value does an accelerometer show in an unpowered spaceship floating in outer space, far away from the gravitational influences of any stars?
Both directions yield the same KE, if viewed from belt or ground.
By "choosing an object", I can ascribe zero KE for any object anywhere, that is traveling at the same velocity relative to the ground. That is equally true of any object traveling at the same velocity w.r.t the belt, the difference being that if viewed from the belt, they have zero KE. They would because they also have zero velocity w.r.t each other. And?
It will show, amongst other things, the acceleration due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, and the near constant acceleration due to the rotation of the planet. Perhaps you mean a relative accelerometer. Let's say a not-quite accurate-zero, then.
I do not contest the context of;The context is for reference if the claim is contested. For instance, If humber were to claim that he never said "Drag is not a force", we may want to revisit that post to look at what he was saying. But since I don't have a reference for that one I'll put it back on the nominations list.
I'll second those. And I even like the color
Where humber is wrong
"You need constant force and energy to maintain riverspeed." #2
That is also correct. A vehicle traveling on the road into a headwind, will see the air pass under it. That "boundary" is modified both by the road's surface, and by the vehicle as it passes over that road.[*] Zen: "When there is no wind, the belt has no meaning." #1089
[*] A rare moment of doubt: "The problem of the orange bothers me. When I move it either with the belt, or against the belt, it seems to gain KE w.r.t. the belt and ground by equal amounts." #1105
[*] Struggling to understand: "The cart's frame is tenuous, because it would seem that it is both in the belt and windspeed frames." #1214
[*] Assertion = Evidence: "Windspeed is the same "frame" as being still on the ground in still air. This too I have claimed. This is evidence." #2738
Google "absolute accelerometers"All I have is a relative accelerometer, humber. If you have plans for an absolute accelerometer like the one you apparently own, I'd love to get them from you. Could you loan me your accelerometer for some testing too?
You should first check your facts, Mender.Or is this another way to get out of answering a line of questions that leads to a conclusion that you disagree with?
Brave fellow.I'm not afraid to answer the questions though:
But really Humber, come on, be a sport, please state your laws of motion. It is too hard to glean them from your general postings. I want to see them clean and shiny, standing on their own.
Perhaps you mean a relative accelerometer.
It is spinning?