• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This deliberate obtuseness infuriates me. You absolutely know you're wrong.

humber may very well know he's wrong. The thing is he can't figure out the physics to get it right. So instead he settles for infuriating people who do know the right answer, so he can feel superior to them in some way.

the thing to remember is that Humber wants you to get infuriated.

If you take him serious, you'll try to corret him on his mistakes, try to teach him the right way. He'll continue to exhibit complete obtuseness. You'll get frustrated and infuriated. And Humber will feel superior, feeding right into what he wants.

The only reaction I can see that doesn't feed into his trolling is to either ignore him or to not buy into his act at all, not get suckered into trying to educate someone who isn't interested in learning, not get upset, but call him the liar that he is, call him on his con.

three thousand posts on this thread and a couple thousand posts on the original thread? I think its pretty clear that humber isn't trying to learn or teach, he's here to lie and troll and get the reaction that he wants to get. Being obtuse gets people infuriated, which is exactly what humber wants.
 
humber may very well know he's wrong. The thing is he can't figure out the physics to get it right. So instead he settles for infuriating people who do know the right answer, so he can feel superior to them in some way.

the thing to remember is that Humber wants you to get infuriated.

I am not sure this is the only psychological explanation. I have seen similar behavior where this was not the driving force.

If you take him serious, you'll try to corret him on his mistakes, try to teach him the right way. He'll continue to exhibit complete obtuseness. You'll get frustrated and infuriated. And Humber will feel superior, feeding right into what he wants.

I can't see how your behavior make any difference for humber compared to John's behavior. Call him a liar don't make much difference.

The only reaction I can see that doesn't feed into his trolling is to either ignore him or to not buy into his act at all, not get suckered into trying to educate someone who isn't interested in learning, not get upset, but call him the liar that he is, call him on his con.
I think the only way is to ignore the person. I think humber is equal happy (if you where correct above) about your behavior as from the other participants behavior in the thread.

three thousand posts on this thread and a couple thousand posts on the original thread? I think its pretty clear that humber isn't trying to learn or teach, he's here to lie and troll and get the reaction that he wants to get. Being obtuse gets people infuriated, which is exactly what humber wants.

He is probably happy that you wrote this.

Any attention is good if he does what he does for attention.
 
This is kind of a three-for-one deal for the HUMBERWRONG list:-

"The cart has no KE in all frames"
"The kite moves towards the kite flyer in all frames"
"The car only LOOKS like it's going backwards wrt you, it's REALY going forwards, you can tell by the way the wheels turn!"

"Humber doesn't get frames of reference" would suffice.

Then there's "Negative drag" and "Cavitation" in gases.

SO much wrongness, so little time!!
 
Now we have Greg London sucked into Humber's abyss exactly the same as everyone else but yet feeling superior about it.

LOL. Humber without Greg could never be so entertaining.

JB
 
Last edited:
Indeed it is difficult to discern what humber is trying (not) to say.;) I read this statement as one of the times when he bows to classicism, myself: that bodies A and B can maintain zero KE relative to each other, but gain an arbitrary amount of it w.r.t. C (another body). I think you read it as "...wrt one another".

The fact that it was an incorrect or irrelevant response to the point made previously is another matter.

Personally, I don't want to trawl through all his mistakes a second time anyway, but I am looking forward to the compendium, the Visitor's Guide to the Humberverse, or the Principia Humbermatica.

Oh, this is all part of the "Humber doesn't get relative values" genre.

On a number of occasions he's said things like "Where did the KE go?".

Somewhere, he's actually read (and mis-understood) the first law of Thermodynamics. In Humbers brain, if you measure velocity and therefore KE wrt one frame (and he uses the ground as his absolute frame of reference), and then measure a DIFFERENT velocity wrt another frame (E.G-an object with the same velocity, therefore zero relative velocity and KE) the KE has "Gone Somewhere" and therefore the first law of TD is broken.

No END of attempts to explain that KE was a relative value were attempted and fell on the usual deaf Humber ears!
 
.
Where humber is wrong


[*] "Drag is not a force"
[/list]
​

This may be humber trying to say "pull, not push" or some such, not realizing that a pull to one person is the same as a push to another. The frame of reference issue again/still, as noted by Ross and others.
 
Now we have Greg London sucked into Humber's abyss exactly the same as everyone else but yet feeling superior about it. LOL. Humber without Greg could never be so entertaining.

I don't know exactly where you and Spork decided that I said I was superior to everyone here, but it's a strawman of your own making. If you want to say I'm telling everyone how I'm superior to them, and then come in and feel all superior about that, well, I guess everryone's got their personal motives. Some more silly than others.

And if you decide to post a quote by me to "prove" I was asserting superiority, ("here you said 'blah' and what else coudl that mean other than ....) even then, all you've done is managed to have the pot call the kettle call the frying pan black, since you both are coming in and trying to assert your own brand of superiority.

in short: check your mirror
 
Now we have Greg London sucked into Humber's abyss exactly the same as everyone else but yet feeling superior about it.

LOL. Humber without Greg could never be so entertaining.

JB
Greg, I'm sorry, but I have to agree with JB and fredriks. I think you're doing something that is quite common and I have done myself, imagining that your responses to or about humber are useful or better than others'. I also share some of spork's irritation with you on this issue. My irritation is partly because you are pretty new to this thread, and I sense that you have missed several places where I have talked about my approach and others have talked about theirs.

There isn't a correct way to deal with someone like humber. Some people try to educate him. What you see as people trying to educate him could, in fact, be using the opportunity to educate generally. Others just post to lampoon. Others to see how far they can extrapolate humber's physics and see where it gets. I've done a fair bit of all of those. I've also told him he's lying and trolling. Personally, I find your approach of repeatedly telling him he's lying and trolling rather a poor one, because it is still being on humber's hook, it isn't even an intelligent response without alternative explanations, and it tends to deteriorate into arguments from authority, which alone are rather dubious and, in the extreme, oppressive and didactic.

Besides, I like the principle of trying to deal with someone honestly. If I'm feeling angry with humber, I say so. Might I suggest that you are more irritated with humber than you like to let on, in case he "pwns" you (whatever that is), and thus direct some of that anger at others for their involvement. Might I get really 'shrinky' and suggest that you're actually angry with yourself for repeatedly swallowing humber's fly?

Calling him a liar won't shut him up or educate him. Trying to educate him at least has some chance, and if it fails, it's educating us and other readers. It seems to be failing to teach him on the surface. Personally, I think this is the way some people learn, while pretending to know more than the teacher, and that his problem is that he cannot allow himself to admit to incorrect knowledge on anything even when he realises that someone else has a much more sensible view and his was nonsense. That might be about physics, and it might also be about social things.

Only humber can decide whether to continue being a pointless human being (he is certainly point-less here)...and that's not really fair either, he is like a court jester, entertaining, often irritating, fascinating and, ironically, quite educative. I haven't enjoyed a thread as much, ever, or learned as much, thanks to humber and his idiocy. And he's brought out my own sense of humour more than usual, at his expense.

I've also said that I think it's probably useful that we have different responses, so don't take this as counter-criticism, please, and do carry on repeating "humber, you're lying" if you like. It might help. I don't know. Strictly speaking, we should be dealing only with the issues, and not even commenting on the person or their motives and behaviour. I'm not sure how strictly that should be observed. Maybe you should be saying "That was a lie" or even "that was a falsehood", but not "You are a liar". We seem to have pushed the boundaries on this quite a bit, and that might be because humber, for all his faults, doesn't often click on the report button. If he did, we'd all have had to cool it, or we'd be banned.
 
I don't know exactly where you and Spork decided that I said I was superior to everyone here, but it's a strawman of your own making. If you want to say I'm telling everyone how I'm superior to them, and then come in and feel all superior about that, well, I guess everryone's got their personal motives. Some more silly than others.

And if you decide to post a quote by me to "prove" I was asserting superiority, ("here you said 'blah' and what else coudl that mean other than ....) even then, all you've done is managed to have the pot call the kettle call the frying pan black, since you both are coming in and trying to assert your own brand of superiority.

in short: check your mirror

Greg, you just keep explaining how EVERYONE on this thread except you is being "pwnd" by humber. I did post an example where you are doing exactly the things you claim others are doing, and thus being "pwnd" by humber.

You apologized for your previous insults and I accepted it. I told you you'd hear no more insults from me without further insults from you. I held to my word.

Be a good boy and drop it.
 
This is kind of a three-for-one deal for the HUMBERWRONG list:-

"The cart has no KE in all frames"
"The kite moves towards the kite flyer in all frames"
"The car only LOOKS like it's going backwards wrt you, it's REALY going forwards, you can tell by the way the wheels turn!"

"Humber doesn't get frames of reference" would suffice.

Then there's "Negative drag" and "Cavitation" in gases.

SO much wrongness, so little time!!

If we published the list without the context it would make as much sense as scientology. You can create post links using the [post=]...[/post] tags as in...

Where humber is wrong (nominations)

"KE = 0 is a mathematical possibility, but has no meaning." #79

"Treadmill wind, is not like real wind." #85

"The boat will reach a finite speed, lower than the water. This speed is the solution to the simultaneous equations of the forces driving the boat, and that of drag. The air will reduce that speed, but even in a vacuum, waterspeed will not be reached." #136
​


This last one is a definite keeper. It's one of the rare times where humber is absolutely clear about what he is saying and still absolutely wrong.
 
If it is being said that everything is Relative, why not just look at the substructure that brings such relativistic events about in the first place.

00001.gif

All objects within Space-Time are in constant motion with a magnitude of motion known as "c".

The only thing that can be done is change the direction of that travel across the open environment known as Space-Time.

Turn that point of view into equations, via the Pythagorean theorem, you will end up with the Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction equation and the Time Dilation equation.

0000222.gif


On the drawing above, I have set up STANDARD REFERENCE UNITS, with each being related to " c ".​

Take note that the object begins to extend across Time if in motion across Space as well, rather than all motion being directed across Time alone. Thus clocks located at the ends of the object are no longer synchronized. Take this into account, along with the other two equations, and you create transformation equations that turn out to be identical to those known as the Lorentz Transformation equations.

x' = ( x - vt ) / SQRT( 1- v2 / c2 )

y' = y

z' = z

t' = ( t - v / c2 * x ) / SQRT( 1- v2 / c2 )

Thus by understanding how ones measurement instruments change depending upon ones velocity across Space, one understands that all 4 dimensional laws are still being followed no matter ones velocity across Space is, and due to the measurement instruments changing in a 4 dimensional manner, everything still checks out to be OK.

Or one may choose to stick to mere 3 dimensional thinking such that one can go in never ending circular arguments.
 
Last edited:
If we published the list without the context it would make as much sense as scientology.

Does the context make it better? Here are some nominations, anyway. It's not just about being wrong, there are so many different ways to be wrong:

Zen: "When there is no wind, the belt has no meaning." #1089

A rare moment of doubt: "The problem of the orange bothers me. When I move it either with the belt, or against the belt, it seems to gain KE w.r.t. the belt and ground by equal amounts." #1105

Struggling to understand: "The cart's frame is tenuous, because it would seem that it is both in the belt and windspeed frames." #1214

Assertion = Evidence: "Windspeed is the same "frame" as being still on the ground in still air. This too I have claimed. This is evidence." #2738
 
humber quote:
Assertion = Evidence: "Windspeed is the same "frame" as being still on the ground in still air. This too I have claimed. This is evidence." #2738

I think the real value in this list is that it brings to light the "best of humber" for those of us that only have time for the patented humber fast-scroll.
 
"The boat will reach a finite speed, lower than the water. This speed is the solution to the simultaneous equations of the forces driving the boat, and that of drag. The air will reduce that speed, but even in a vacuum, waterspeed will not be reached." #136

This last one is a definite keeper. It's one of the rare times where humber is absolutely clear about what he is saying and still absolutely wrong.
Yeah, I'd forgotten that gem. I proposed a hypothetical balloon with no mass and/or no aerodynamic drag earlier, which he thought preposterous. I'm enjoying the image of a boat on water with a vacuum instead of air above, still not reaching waterspeed. I know how they keep it below waterspeed - with magnets - but how do they stop the water getting sucked up into the void? :D
 
There isn't a correct way to deal with someone like humber..

And not engaging his nonsense and simply calling it what it is, nonsense, is at least an accurate portrayal of what he's saying.

Calling him a liar won't shut him up or educate him. Trying to educate him at least has some chance.

Isn't that just saying your approach is better than mine?

If humber was charging money for this nonsense, would you be trying to educate him? Would you still say that even if humber didn't learn anything, at least others and yourself might learn something?

Even if money wasnt' involved, if an intelligent design defender came into the forums and started spewing nonsense about the second law of thermodynamics, for thousands of posts and didn't learn anything, would you still hold out for hope that he might learn something from your lessons, or at some point would you say that it's clear his motivation isn't about science but that he's driven by something else?

Humber is driven by something other than science. And if there was ever a sucker bet for scientists it is that others will follow science if they can just be shown the way. ID'ers haven't suddenly switched to understanding and respecting the theory of evolution. THey're just laying low trying to figure out a way to push their nonsense.

Humber isn't going to get it. I'm basing that off of thousands of his posts and not a single bit of progress can be shown in his understanding. What are you basing your assertion that there is "some chance" of educating him? What evidence is there? It isn't empirical. THe list of things humber has said that were correct is empty.

he is like a court jester, entertaining, often irritating, fascinating and, ironically, quite educative. I haven't enjoyed a thread as much, ever, or learned as much, thanks to humber and his idiocy. And he's brought out my own sense of humour more than usual, at his expense.

If you find it entertaining, that's fine. If you're learning things, that's great. I learned some stuff trying to talk with humber myself. Thing is, I could have learned the same stuff from people who actually understood the cart.

But I will assert that humber isn't going to learn anything by anyone's lessons here. ANd I base that off of the evidence of thousands of posts by him and not a single bit of progress is shown in his understanding during that time. That isn't me trying to be "superior" to someone who thinks they can teach humber something, anymore than me writing up a document about the propeller cart is trying to be superior to people who don't understand the cart.

If you're talking with humber for the entertainment value, or because you might learn something you hadn't thought of yourself, go for it. But if you're holding out some hope that you can educate humber or that he will learn something from you, I have seen no empirical evidence to support that notion.

And from a game theory point of view, either humber is faking it or he isn't. If he is faking it, he's just trolling for reactions. If he isn't faking it and truly wants to learn, then you still have no impircal evidence to show that he CAN learn. but at the same time you say "thanks to humber and his idiocy. And he's brought out my own sense of humour more than usual, at his expense".

So, if someone thinks humber is really and honestly trying to learn, then they shouldn't be mocking him, putting his gibberish into quote lines for further mocking, and laughing at his expense.

The way people are behaving towards humber, I think makes it clear that absolutely no one thinks humber is trying to learn here.

WHich means people think that either humber actually believes he is correct and therefore humber deserves to be mocked, or humber knows he is making up garbage and is trolling for a reaction.

All I've done is reach the logical conclusion that everyone else is indirectly pointing to: everything humber has said is wrong, humber will never learn anything, and the only reason he continues posting is in all likelihood because he is trolling, because he gets something out of the response, not because he is trying to learn something from people here.
 
So seconded...
By a third rate mind.

Where humber is wrong

  1. "You need constant force and energy to maintain riverspeed."
  2. "Drag is not a force"

Dear me, the cat is stuck up a tree again, always trying to climb beyond its ability.
I wrote "drag, not force". a short for 'driving force, not drag'. Some things are contextual,
 
Last edited:
I didn't understand any of that, but I do find this comforting:
Thus by understanding how ones measurement instruments change depending upon ones velocity across Space, one understands that all 4 dimensional laws are still being followed no matter ones velocity across Space is, and due to the measurement instruments changing in a 4 dimensional manner, everything still checks out to be OK.
:)

Or one may choose to stick to mere 3 dimensional thinking such that one can go in never ending circular arguments.
Yeah, I'll do that. :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom