Hopelessly flawed, beyond comment.Thanks Brian.
<snip>
Hopelessly flawed, beyond comment.Thanks Brian.
<snip>
No, my argument is entirely consistent and you know it. I have exposed your lack of understanding and knowledge of your own field, and now you want to try and shift the blame to me.Well, humber's last bunch of drivel about what he thinks a boundary layer looks like appears to be pretty contradictory to when he chose diagram A on my multiple choice offering. Not surprising -- consistency is not his long suit. What I have gleaned is that, despite the fact that he picked A, his belief seems to be that D is the right choice (see the numbers that he lists above). Or maybe not, it's hard to tell based on the inconsistent location of the ellipsis in his list. In any case, if that were the case, it would be an interesting difference, but it's wrong. The correct answers, by the way, are A for the windspeed observer, and G for the beltspeed observer (which is identical to the "ground" view for the outdoor
case).
I'll leave you with a final thought, humber. There are planets like Jupiter that have no surface, but that have much greater gravity than Earth does. They just get thicker and thicker on the way down, and maybe transition gradually to a liquid if you go deep enough. There is no fixed ground reference on such a planet. How does humberphysics work in a place like that? How do you know whether something has KE?
OK- Here are the questions-
1) Use the term Negative drag in a meaningful sentence pertaining to Aerodynamics
2) Cite an example of the term Cavitation being used regards the action of gasses alone.
Just to be clear, I was never a student of Mark Drela. I first met him when we were both undergraduates, and we later worked together.Where you can live in the reflected glory of being on of Drela's former students, but nothing else.
I guess I passed that part of the test then.
So that's two questions that humbre has failed on so far. Who has the next question?
I'll remind you of your statements again:Hopelessly flawed, beyond comment.
10 > becomes < 10
9 > becomes < 1
.
. this gradient of 3 has become a difference of 5
.
6 > becomes < 6
.
. this gradient of 5 has become a difference of 3
.
1 > becomes < 9
I have also said "apart from some numerical coincidences"Hmmm. I put two statements of yours together, one based on your flawed understanding and the other,
dragged out of you after endless simplifications of the situation in discussion, and finally four attempts to get you to answer a couple of simple questions, clearly contradicting the first. Your response:
I'll remind you of your statements again:
Statement 1. If the layer is say, 100mm and has a linear profile, what moves at 10mm above the ground, moves at that same speed 90mm above the belt, but in the opposite direction.
Statement 2. Referenced to still air that is 6m/s back with the belt.
(Statement 2 is not completely unambiguous in that form, but it is certain from everything you have said that it represents the 'belt-flow' referred to in your diagrams and endlessly discussed as the opposite flow at the same height as the 6 m/s flow over the stationary ground. I'll find a few more of them if you like.)
So you can't tell me why the 6 -> turns into a <- 6, yet the 9s and 1s are swapped in their vertical location?
My pointing out that those are mutually exclusive conditions is "hopelessly flawed"?
If they are not contradictory, you need a reason why the gradient is squished up in one area and stretched out in another. Do you understand? Let's put it diagramatically again:
Code:10 > becomes < 10 9 > becomes < 1 . . this gradient of 3 has become a difference of 5 . 6 > becomes < 6 . . this gradient of 5 has become a difference of 3 . 1 > becomes < 9
Go on then, clever hans, what's happened to the properties of air such that the gradient (which we supposed was linear) has now stretched in one area and compressed in another?
Let the record show that it was humber who brought up the notion of turbulence in the boundary layer (which, ironically, he was earlier referring to as "laminar flow"). Nobody has said anything about turbulence. I guess we need to add that term to the list.If I follow your reasoning, and the flow adjacent to the road is turbulent, why is the layer near the "windspeed" air not turbulent, rather than close to the belt?
[EDIT: Took out the first thing that I said here, because it was not really accurate.]
Let the record show that it was humber who brought up the notion of turbulence in the boundary layer (which, ironically, he was earlier referring to as "laminar flow"). Nobody has said anything about turbulence. I guess we need to add that term to the list.
I have also said "apart from some numerical coincidences"
Because of this you ignore:
(1) Different profiles
(2) Flow are in the opposite direction.
If I follow your reasoning, and the flow adjacent to the road is turbulent, why is the layer near the "windspeed" air not turbulent, rather than close to the belt?
Clever Hans responded to the subtle cues of the trainer...
I made the effort to make the obvious even simpler, not for you to pick apart.
[EDIT: Took out the first thing that I said here, because it was not really accurate.]
Let the record show that it was humber who brought up the notion of turbulence in the boundary layer (which, ironically, he was earlier referring to as "laminar flow"). Nobody has said anything about turbulence. I guess we need to add that term to the list.
Solution G cannot be correct, or even a perspective, because not only does it reverse the profile, but suggests that the influence of the belt, that is the force of the belt, increases with distance from that belt. Magic.
O my dear. Put you bunny on the belt and ask her about the wind at different heights according to her (i.e. not relative to the Andromeda galaxy or the milk car driving in Bombay but simple the wind the bunny sees relative to herself)
Ask the bunny;
1. Where does the force come from to drive top layer?
2. How does that separate the existing flow from the belt?
Cant the bunny ask humber if he can't read a physics book before trying to write about physics on the internet?
Drive the top level?
Separate the flow?
The bunny is simply sitting on a moving belt and measuring the wind with an anemometer.
Ask the bunny;
1. Where does the force come from to drive top layer?
2. How does that separate the existing flow from the belt?
G is (perhaps) the profile generated by the motion of the observer w.r.t the air above the belt.
A is like the paper held in video #7. If that strip were hung from a pole and attached to the belt, which way would it go?
The same way. Must be true. The fastest possible air, is closest to the belt. It does no stop being so, just because you happen to be on the belt.
Poor Humber. Every time somebody tries to get him to think about things in a frame of reference other than the ground, he gets all confused. Of course, he's pretty confused even when the frame of reference is the ground.
Solution G cannot be correct, or even a perspective, because not only does it reverse the profile, but suggests that the influence of the belt, that is the force of the belt, increases with distance from that belt. Magic.
I think you will pursue this point until you run out of fuel, Captain