The quote you cited doesn't say what you think it says.
Not really. It talked about whether men were more prone to violence. I do not think that is the same thing as intent. You might leave your house with no intention to be violent at all. Something happens. You react violently: another person in the same situation does not. I think that makes you more prone to violence but it does not speak to intent at all
I see what you mean. I disagree. You cannot see intent and if there is no violence then there is no violence. Your paralysed person might be apt to fantasise about violence, and might be furiously angry all the time: but he or she is not violent. They might like to be: but they aren't. See the problem?
I understand what you're saying. I suppose it's a matter of how you interpret the OP. When I read it I thought of it in terms of a mental propensity to violence - a violent mindset. Violent action in itself doesn't seem overly useful to me as violence can be entirely accidental. When talking of whether men or women are more
prone to be violent, I had assumed what was meant was a mental attitude of using violence.
I disagree.
"prone:5. having a natural inclination or tendency to something; inclined, disposed, apt, liable: 6: ready in mind (for some action); eager" (OED)
I fail to see how this definition works against my argument. It deals primarily with
cause which is something not given by crime statistics.
You appear to be arguing that we can assume the tendency to violence in the absence of any evidence it is there. You also seem to be arguing that it is not legitimate to infer from actual violence that the propensity exists.
I don't understand what you mean by the first point, but I disagree on the second. Were this true, I would be arguing that men are not violent. I have not argued this. But this discussion is about the
comparison between men and women. Crime statistics confirm that men are violent, but they do not confirm that women are
not violent. Therefore they don't answer the OP.
I see no reason at all to dismiss verifiable facts in favour of mind reading: but that is what you seem to be asking me to do.
Nonsense. I have not dismissed crime statistics in favour of conjecture, I have focused on actual data that more readily answers the OP and doesn't have the same flaws as crime statistics.
Ok. You choose to ask the questions in a particular way which seems helpful to you.
How is it helpful to me?
First you say:
1. Which gender can be more violent?
In the first place, as others have said, either gender can be violent. Weapons do make that equally possible for men and women, at least where guns are available.
This is debatable (there are other issues to raise with guns) and guns are involved in a small fraction of violent crime so they're not overly significant.
People have also given instances of women fighting with women, so there is nothing preventing women from being violent. Like men, they probably won't pick a fist fight with someone a lot bigger, but women are as variable in size as men are so there is nothing at all to prevent intra-female violence being perpetrated at the same levels as intra-male violence. We do not see this, however. It happens but at much lower levels, as Tanja's source shows.
This is true, and a good point in your favour, however there is more to it than being "bigger or smaller than your opponent". Humans are by and large made of the same material, and by and large a minimum level of force is required to cause injury. If a woman has insufficient physical strength to inflict physical injury, it won't make much difference if she's attacking someone a little bigger or a little smaller than her - there won't be much damage. Violent crime offenses are established essentially by degree of damage inflicted, so this might explain a lack of female-female violent crime.
Secondly, and despite your denial, you are now again arguing that capacity equals action.
Nonsense. The first part addresses capacity, the second action. Why do people always make this basic mistake? (I get the same strawman arguments thrown at me when I talk about the topic of conditioning to kill).
So your statement that the crime statistics answer this question is not true. They do not answer the question who can be violent: they answer the question who is violent. Not the same thing at all.
Presumably those who
are more violent
can be more violent, so yes, it does answer that question.
You then go on to ask
2. Which gender wants to be more violent. As a philosophical question that cannot be answered at all. As a practical matter, the only evidence of desire is the action which satisfies it. And that action is violence.
This is incorrect. You can also use evidence of
attempts to satisfy it. "Violent Crime" is not a universal statistic of all violent acts. For various levels of violence, minimum thresholds are required. A person can have violent intent, and can act in a violent way, yet inflict insufficient damage to reach a minimum threshold of violent crime.
I have looked at the links you have provided. 3 out of 4 are reports rather than studies and it is not possible to evaluate them. The other is a summary of a number of studies.
Will you at least accept that studies with these findings exist? I am all for assessing the validity of a study's findings but what you asked for was evidence of the existence of these studies. Demonstrating the validity of all of these studies is, of course, well beyond the practical confines of an internet discussion.
Granted. But while 60% can be described as well over half quite readily: 80% is not something I would describe that way.
I thought it wise to err on the side of caution.

According to wikipedia
this abstract looked extensively at a range of studies on false accusations in New Zealand, the UK and US from 1968 to 2005 and found an enormous variation in rates - from 1.5% to 90%.
So one "senior officer" makes this estimate just after members of his own force have been accused of rape? And everybody working in the field disagrees. This does no more than confirm the evidence I cited in the other thread about police attitudes in rape cases and the role that plays in attrition.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here... police have been accused of rape, therefore a police officer who talks about rape is a liar? "everybody working in the field" doesn't disagree. My most recent post cites yet more examples of other officials and researchers presenting similar findings.
Ok. I do not see how it related to the statistics you cited but ok
Because I was specifically looking at domestic violence and that particular offense applies exclusively to domestic violence.
The site appears to be a campaigning one for someone called Peter Ellis. I assume he is protesting his innocence of some crime. It is not really objective I think: though I make no comment on his situation, since I know nothing of it. I just do not see how it is relevant.
Peter Ellis' case isn't really relevant to the thread, but their site keeps an ongoing index of media articles about false allegations, which is relevant to the specific topic of false rape allegations. The site isn't objective, obviously, however the news articles are real, not fabrications.
(For what it's worth the Peter Ellis case is probably the worst miscarriage of justice in New Zealand history - it's actually quite a fascinating study of how badly even a thoroughly uncorrupt legal system can fail)
Can you tell me a bit more about this process in NZ. I ask because there is evidence from all over the world of women being prevented from making formal complaints because of the attitude of the police. In this country this problem is being recognised and the procedures for dealing with rape complaints has changed though not enough: what is the attrition rate in NZ and what is the conviction rate. I have to say that with senior police officers going about saying 60-80% of complaints are false it seems likely to me that they are unlikely to make it easy to register a formal complaint: perhaps I am wrong and there are really good procedures for recording but I would just like that confirmed. Do you not have a mechanism for "no criming"? I have asked already but I do not see a direct answer
New Zealand used to be much like other western countries particularly with poor attitudes towards rape complainants but we've tended to be a bit ahead of most of the world in terms of woman's rights, and so the changes brought about by the feminist movement are pretty well established here. Further, New Zealand has a major domestic violence problem so in the past years a pretty substantial effort has been put into encouraging women to report domestic violence - last year domestic violence reporting surged over 30%.
Police have dedicated sexual crime investigation teams and they thoroughly investigate every complaint. In fact the reason police have complained about these false complaints is
because they expend so much time and resources investigating them which takes resources away from genuine victims.
In terms of statistics, when a complaint is made police will ask the victim to fill out an official form detailing the complaint, and this is immediately logged as a reported crime. Police recognise that some victims may be scared to make a formal complaint, so in domestic violence situations independent victim support counsellors attend, take the victims aside, and talk them through the entire process to assure them that they will be protected and their complaint will be taken seriously.
In New Zealand, most crimes cannot be investigated unless a formal complaint is lodged.
That does not really answer my question. Are all complaints registered formally or are some "no crimed" by the police as happens in most parts of the world? if they are what is the percentage?
All complaints are lodged formally if the complainant chooses to do. I'm not sure what you mean by "no crimed". Do you mean the police determine no crime was committed? If you do, yes, this obviously occurs, however it does not affect "reported" crime statistics - these would be counted in "resolved" crimes.
Of the cases which are "resolved" how many are dropped by the prosecuting authority and at other stages, and what percentage come to trial? what is the conviction rate and how does it compare with other crimes of violence and with other countries, what are the variations in those figures in different parts of the country and how are they explained?
Resolved crimes are those for which the following has occurred:
(Statistics are for violent offences)
Family Conference Youth Justice - 382
Other - 3,011
Prosecution - 34,315
Diversion - 318
Warning/Caution - 8,439
Youth Aid - 2,096
Prosecution only includes those cases taken to court - conviction statistics are supplied by the Ministry of Justice. Violent crime statistics for 2006 (most recent) are as follows:
Prosecutions - 20,374
Convicted - 11,131
Discharged - 1,515
Not proven - 7,671
What does "unresolved" actually mean - pending trial? no suspect? or what?
Unresolved means the case is not solved - no one has been convicted of the crime, and police still feel a crime was committed. Bear in mind you get double-ups here because Justice statistics measure
cases not crimes, so there can be multiple cases for the same crime if an initial suspect is found not guilty or if there are multiple offenders.
child sexual abuse is another matter entirely and it is clear this is a celebrated case in your country: no comment as I know nothing about it and I cannot see it is relevant at all
It was the first example of a wrong conviction which sprung to mind. It's only relevant insofar as pointing out the rather obvious fact that sometimes innocent people are found guilty of crimes.
It does not seem ridiculous to me. I think you will find you cannot be charged with an assault on an object. Damage to property is not violence.
Assault and violence are not the same thing. If you like, assault is violence against a person. The OP did not specify violence against other people, it just specified violence.
As outlined in one of my first posts - domestic violence statistics are skewed heavily against males due to the way they are dealt with by law enforcement.
I do not think "controlled environment" means what you think it means
A fully controlled environment has no undesirable variables. Obviously any real world environment is not going to be fully controlled, but there are a range of conditions between totally uncontrolled and totally controlled. It makes sense to attempt to use a model which eliminates as many variables as possible.
No. The economic situation of a woman in an abusive relationship often bears no relation at all that of the man in the same house. Her social circumstance are also often vastly different
I disagree quite strongly.
No. domestic violence takes place in the home. business fraud happens in the work place: burglary takes place in a home: all crime tends to take place in a confined environment - well maybe not mugging but most
This is incorrect, at least in my country. The overwhelming majority of violent crime either happens in a dwelling (the majority of which is domestic violence) or in a public place.
yes but they are informed by much wider things than that particular relationship
Of course, but it's easier to isolate violent action of individuals than it is in other contexts.
Yes. But then most people work somewhere and don't embezzle the cash:
Embezzlement isn't a violent crime.
most people do not belong to a gang:
Exactly.
a great deal of violence happens in or outside pubs. So what?
Most people do not spend any substantial period of time in a pub, and because the people involved are constantly changing, so too are the personal relationships involved. Not true of a domestic environment.
I disagree.
