• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Conservative Columnist: Palin should bow out

The lecture he gave McCain over strategy and tactic was too cute. If there is much discussion regarding foreign policy next week, it could get really ugly for Palin.


Here's how Biden handled another unqualified candidate ...

 
I hadn't seen this Biden clip before. Too cute ...





It's this kind of command of the answers that Palin likely can't match. :D
 
Here's how Biden handled another unqualified candidate ...


Pretty funny. I remember that.

All I got to say is he better not try that with Palin. He is a quick wit but if he does that with her she could get a lot of sympathy.

I think his game should be to treat her with as much respect and look at her as a peer (no matter how much he is probably repulsed by her political skills or lack there of)..... she will do the rest for him. If he looks like he is trying to belittle her in any way at all he is in trouble.
 
I absolutely love that you guys are still, after all this time, convinced that Palin is going to go, and has to go. Just keep telling yourselves that.

And look, Ben brings in a completely unsubstantiated "rumor" without any evidence. What a shocker. And some are inclined to want to believe it. Oh please please please please give us the details Ben. Help shore us up. We need the support.

L O F'n L
She's not going anywhere. But the fact that a prominent conservative columnist is calling for her head and raising serious doubts about the wisdom of McCain's choice is, I think, pretty damning.
 
Pretty funny. I remember that.

All I got to say is he better not try that with Palin. He is a quick wit but if he does that with her she could get a lot of sympathy.

I think his game should be to treat her with as much respect and look at her as a peer (no matter how much he is probably repulsed by her political skills or lack there of)..... she will do the rest for him. If he looks like he is trying to belittle her in any way at all he is in trouble.


Here he aims at another Governor about qualifications ...

 
How can a columnist be so stupid? There's no doubt Palin just isn't very articulate without a teleprompter, and the potential for disaster in the debate next week will definitely make it worth watching. But pull out? You can't do that. McCain may as well pull out himself. For Palin to back out would be to say that McCain made a colossal blunder on his first major Presidential decision. Whether or not that happens to be true, you can't admit that and stay in the campaign.
 
I'm impessed by the National Review and Kathleen Parker, that she would be so candid.

I'm nonetheless still worried about Palin though. I still think she's a political threat. I'm worried that, lacking any other good arguments, that she will play The Elitism Card and that it will work. As maddening as it is, this seems to be a very effective political tactic. She and her surrogates will say that attacking Sarah Palin is attacking regular folks. Small-town God-fearing folks who didn't go to Ivy-league schools. Hockey moms. Devout Christians. I definitely think it's a big mistake to attack her religion.

Please, somebody tell me that it won't work this time. :covereyes
 
This is a good point. The mere fact that Biden is making himself so visible at every opportunity causes people to ask the obvious question...

He may be makeing himself visible but google trends results suggest people may not be noticeing.
 
How can a columnist be so stupid? There's no doubt Palin just isn't very articulate without a teleprompter, and the potential for disaster in the debate next week will definitely make it worth watching. But pull out? You can't do that. McCain may as well pull out himself. For Palin to back out would be to say that McCain made a colossal blunder on his first major Presidential decision. Whether or not that happens to be true, you can't admit that and stay in the campaign.

You are right that this is bad political advice, and very off-message. If you assume that she's trying to increase McCain's chance of winning, it is very stupid. If you've got a lemon you have to try to make lemonade. The last presidential candidate to switch VP was McGovern, and we know how that turned out. OTOH, maybe she's just calling it like she sees it and let the chips fall where they may. To maintain credibility, sometimes even partisans have to criticise the people in their own party.
 
Last edited:
I'm impessed by the National Review and Kathleen Parker, that she would be so candid.

I'm nonetheless still worried about Palin though. I still think she's a political threat. I'm worried that, lacking any other good arguments, that she will play The Elitism Card and that it will work. As maddening as it is, this seems to be a very effective political tactic. She and her surrogates will say that attacking Sarah Palin is attacking regular folks. Small-town God-fearing folks who didn't go to Ivy-league schools. Hockey moms. Devout Christians. I definitely think it's a big mistake to attack her religion.

Please, somebody tell me that it won't work this time. :covereyes

If the quote on the other thread currently running is typical of Palin's delivery on the hoof then Biden should simply let her speak. A little pressure to make her air her views outwith the bounds of scripts must shirley be his primary goal.
 
If the quote on the other thread currently running is typical of Palin's delivery on the hoof then Biden should simply let her speak. A little pressure to make her air her views outwith the bounds of scripts must shirley be his primary goal.

I agree. If her performance with softball questions is anything like the Couric interview, Biden may just need to sit back and watch her dig her own grave.

The only way I could imagine Palin dropping out and McCain surviving would be a family crisis. Bristol OD in a suicide attempt, Sarah dropping out because her family needs her. It would still be a big hit for McCain, but if Palin drops out for any other reason--admitting the affair, smoking gun in troopergate, etc.--McCain is toast.
 
I'm impessed by the National Review and Kathleen Parker, that she would be so candid.

I'm nonetheless still worried about Palin though. I still think she's a political threat. I'm worried that, lacking any other good arguments, that she will play The Elitism Card and that it will work. As maddening as it is, this seems to be a very effective political tactic. She and her surrogates will say that attacking Sarah Palin is attacking regular folks. Small-town God-fearing folks who didn't go to Ivy-league schools. Hockey moms. Devout Christians. I definitely think it's a big mistake to attack her religion.

Please, somebody tell me that it won't work this time. :covereyes


Actually she played the elitism card pretty deftly in one of the few non-cringe-inducing moments in the Katie Couric interview. When asked about just getting a passport last year, she said that she's not from a background where upon graduation from college she got from her parents a passport and a backpack to see the world. Instead she (allegedly) worked two jobs until having children. A taste of things to come?
 
It does have the feeling of a summer chick flick: Legally blond meets Mr. Smith goes to Washington.


Um ... that was a movie. It was called Legally Blonde II

I forgive you for not having seen it. Nobody has seen it.
 
Might be for the best for Obama that no one's noticing, because he's been on a roll with the gaffes lately.

I know its so hard to recognize because he's a politician, but those aren't gaffes. That's honesty.

Which yes, is probably the second biggest sin a Washington politician could commit. Palin however, is committing the biggest, which is gross stupidity on camera.

Okay, yes, the FDR TV thing was a bit of a gaffe, but I think his point remains.
 
I'm impessed by the National Review and Kathleen Parker, that she would be so candid.

I'm nonetheless still worried about Palin though. I still think she's a political threat. I'm worried that, lacking any other good arguments, that she will play The Elitism Card and that it will work. As maddening as it is, this seems to be a very effective political tactic. She and her surrogates will say that attacking Sarah Palin is attacking regular folks. Small-town God-fearing folks who didn't go to Ivy-league schools. Hockey moms. Devout Christians. I definitely think it's a big mistake to attack her religion.

Exactly!

Does anyone remember the Bush Ferraro debate in 1984? Bush pointed out a mistake about foreign policy that Ferraro had made by saying something like, "let me explain this to you" and was called a "bully".

It is a rule of politics to bring down expectations before a debate. So far the Republicans have done exactly that.

As far as how elitism plays in rural America, you might be interested in this article:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12305147


For the record, I fully expect Obama to win, but it isn't over yet.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom