I normally don't write posts in this style, but I just want to run down some replies I've already seen in this thread:
lionking said:
This just has to be the most irrational thread I have ever seen.
Anyone who thinks that the value of human life is so intrinsic, so obvious that its doesn't even merit discussion is just being thoughtless. Case in point: people have fundamental disagreements about the permissibility of taking life all the time, have you never seen two people argue over abortion or the permissibility of war? If you acknowledge that your principles are different from the principles of the Iranian government on the value of human life, then there is room for discussion.
Denver said:
Other answers may come to you if you think about it this way: Why would homicide be bad for ME? What kind of laws would I want in place to discourage it from happening to ME?
I don't know if this is a good principle, because many people want to pass laws that are positively harmful to others. Homosexuality is punishable by death in Iran and the government sponsors the murder of 15 billion animals in the US every year.
Arthur Denton said:
I think it is the end of possibilities, so I condemn homicide because it takes someone's last chance to do something on earth.
An interesting point to make is that murder is
circumstantially wrong. If we had a device that could instantly resurrect a person, murder wouldn't be especially objectionable at all. For now, we don't have the technology, so you're point holds.
TinfoilCat said:
Homicide causes the pain and suffering of not only the victim, but also the people the victim know. To know a person, then to find out he/she was killed. Would you like that? I wouldn't.
I don't know if I buy that. People still object to abortion even when the fetus has no friends and its family doesn't value its life; people criticize the Iranian government for killing homosexuals even though those victims have been completely ostracized from the community and disowned by their family; a teenage girl who abandons her baby in the dumpster has done something wrong whether she cared about her baby or not. What makes those behaviors objectional?
Silentknight said:
From an evolutionary standpoint, homicide is "bad" because it is not conducive to our survival as a species to condone it.
If you make any moral argument for or against
anything based on evolution, then you flunk out of critical thinking class. I don't know how many times I've had to say this already on this forum, but
evolution is NOT a moral theory
Richard Masters said:
My current moral code is actually to do what is best for myself (positive consequentialism) and avoid what is bad for others (negative consequentialism). In that order and consistently when possible.
You're at least a vegan, right?
gdnp said:
I have not heard of a human society where there are no sanctions when one member kills another member of the group without just cause: ie, murder.
I think this is actually a very good comment, although you don't really state what counts as a 'just' cause. I don't think I even need to comment on the enormous amount of literature written on the permissibility of abortion.
As an aside, one of the few books I've read that is consistently fascinating from cover to cover is Peter Singer's
Rethinking Life and Death.