• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Help...God is shaking me down!

Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
194
I was just watching “I love the 80’s.” They talked about one of my favorite old school televangelist Oral Roberts. It is so funny that he used the “God said he will take me home unless I come up with 8 million dollars” scam and it worked. I find this truly mind blowing that it actually work. Why would god need him to go beg for 8 million if god is all mighty and all-powerful? I guess this isn’t much different than what most televangelist do, but damn…god will kill me unless you donate is a real bold angle to take . It is truly sad how many people will fall for such obvious BS.
 
I remember that there was a bumper sticker "Send Oral to Heaven in '87".
 
Well, compared to the "believe in (the correct version of) me or burn in hell for all eternity" scam he has been running for the last 2000 or so years, this one seems pretty mild.
 
I was sad Oral wasn't taken. But it appears God doesn't want the jackass either.
 
Didn't someone start an organization called "LORD", standing for Let Oral Roberts Die?
 
I've always thought that Oral could have done more to promote Christianity or more correctly, his version of Christianity, than anyone or anything in the last 2000 years, if hee had only stayed up in that tower an let everyone see the hand of the lord come to get him. But I guess the lure of the lucre was just too much.
 
Well, compared to the "believe in (the correct version of) me or burn in hell for all eternity" scam he has been running for the last 2000 or so years, this one seems pretty mild.

Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?
 
Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?

er...:confused: "mocked, scorned and called irrational" = "burn in hell for all eternity" now ? That's new to me.

And if your belief in god can't stand mockery, well, frankly, it's not worth much, innit ? The first xians withstood much more than this... (what's a little mockery compared with hungry lions, people ?) They must have been made of a tougher stuff than today's thin-skinned, persecution-complexed ones...
 
Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?

No, don't just believe. Examine the evidence as it's presented to understand reality as we can determine it.

Don't just believe, figure it out. Separate reality from fiction.
 
Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?

Both theists and evolutionists are likely to deride their opponents for their beliefs. But I have never heard an evolutionist claim to a theist that there will be terrible consequences if the theist persists in his/her beliefs. Unless you include the likelihood of the theist being separated from his/her hard earned money.
 
Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?

You need to learn the important difference between 'belief' and 'understanding'. No one actually 'believes' in the big bang theory or any other scientific theory. You understand it and the evidence for and against and then make up your own mind about it. Religion requires belief without evidence, science requires understanding evidence in support of ideas.
 
You need to learn the important difference between 'belief' and 'understanding'. No one actually 'believes' in the big bang theory or any other scientific theory. You understand it and the evidence for and against and then make up your own mind about it. Religion requires belief without evidence, science requires understanding evidence in support of ideas.

You put that very well.
 
Relic does have a point. I often question the maturity of Atheists who feel it necessary to use phrases like "big sky daddy" and putting Darwin Fish on their cars. It's deliberatly provocactive. It's not to try to make anyone change their minds. It's ridicule of religious beliefs.
 
Relic does have a point. I often question the maturity of Atheists who feel it necessary to use phrases like "big sky daddy" and putting Darwin Fish on their cars. It's deliberatly provocactive. It's not to try to make anyone change their minds. It's ridicule of religious beliefs.

And what's wrong with ridiculing the ridiculous? :)
 
Relic does have a point. I often question the maturity of Atheists who feel it necessary to use phrases like "big sky daddy" and putting Darwin Fish on their cars. It's deliberatly provocactive. It's not to try to make anyone change their minds. It's ridicule of religious beliefs.

Here in Texas, people drive around with cars that look like billboard advertisements for god, christians, anti-abortion, george bush, bible, prayer, telling me how horrible I am because I don't subscribe to their myths, etc. They even say god listens to their favorite radio station. Why would they advertise like that?

I find it pleasant to see a proud Atheist expressing their beliefs in the same manner (A friend of mine had his Darwin fish vandalized, many times, until they caught the religious vandal).
 
Here in Texas, people drive around with cars that look like billboard advertisements for god, christians, anti-abortion, george bush, bible, prayer, telling me how horrible I am because I don't subscribe to their myths, etc. They even say god listens to their favorite radio station. Why would they advertise like that?

I find it pleasant to see a proud Atheist expressing their beliefs in the same manner (A friend of mine had his Darwin fish vandalized, many times, until they caught the religious vandal).

I think there is an element of mocking in having my darwin fish or wearing my "Inteligunt Desine" T-Shirt but a major part of it is me stating my beliefs. The only way I can respond to something like religion is with humor as it is just so far beyond rational there is no point in using logic.

I have had bumper stickers and darwin fish ripped off nearly every car I have owned yet I have never heard of someone vandalizing a christians symbols on their cars. I have been yelled at, told I am going to hell, and to get out of the country if I don't love jesus. So much for love thy neighbor and do unto others.
 
Believe in the Big Bang or be mocked, scorned and called irrational by evolutionists for the rest of your life. Don't you do the same thing as the religious?

Why are these evolutionists so concerned about cosmology? Is it a hobby?
 
I have had bumper stickers and darwin fish ripped off nearly every car I have owned yet I have never heard of someone vandalizing a christians symbols on their cars. I have been yelled at, told I am going to hell, and to get out of the country if I don't love jesus. So much for love thy neighbor and do unto others.

Hey, THEY would want to be treated the same way if they were godless heathens. Is it they're fault they're not?

;)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom