• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Buddhist couple live in close proximity

Can anyone explain the differences between, say, Tibetan buddhists and Laotian or Chinese buddhists? I know, that is probably asking too much, but even a brief outline would be helpful for me.

Well, with other places using a nationality isn't as useful. In Laos the predominant form of Buddhism is Theravada Buddhism, the Path of the Elders. This is the most traditional form of Buddhism.

It is contrasted with Mahayana Buddhism, which is the main form of Buddhism in China, Tibet, Japan, etc. This was an old split, where Mahayana placed emphasis on becoming a bodhisattva, an enlightened savior of all beings, while Theravada kept focus on becoming an arhant, an enlightened one. Also, the Mahayana branch uses more texts than the original Tipitaka.

In China there was Chan Buddhism originated from India, which then translated into Zen. In China along with the other nations like Japan, Vietnam, etc. the main Mahayana sects are Zen and Pure Land.

What is called Tibetan Buddhism is a distinct form of Vajrayana, which includes Tantric, Buddhism, which includes four different schools.

To be brief, Zen or Chan Buddhism places emphasis on meditation (Zen comes from Chan which comes from dhyana which means "meditation"). Pure Land Buddhism focuses on chanting for Amitabha Buddha so one can enter a Pure Land where it is easier to gain enlightenment. Tibetan Buddhism focuses on rituals and performing deeds of merit.

Each school also focuses on its own main texts.

It may be safe to say there is more of a difference between different schools in one country than between that country and Tibet.
 
Thank you for that reply,Tsukasa Buddha. That is what I was looking for.
 
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been trying to think of the best answer.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort :)

But when I got past the fluff that most people consider to be Buddhism, I found something very appealing.

I found the ideas of Buddhism to go quite against the ideas of other philosophies, such as the teaching of anatta.

Knowing nothing of anatta, I Googled and found http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell09.htm
www.buddhanet.net/nutshell09.htm said:
The subsequent thought moment is neither absolutely the same as its predecessor -- since that which goes to make it up is not identical -- nor entirely another -- being the same continuity of kamma energy. Here there is no identical being but there is an identity in process.

<snip/>

When life ceases the kammic energy re-materializes itself in another form. As Bhikkhu Silacara says: "Unseen it passes whithersoever the conditions appropriate to its visible manifestation are present. Here showing itself as a tiny gnat or worm, there making its presence known in the dazzling magnificence of a Deva or an Archangel's existence. When one mode of its manifestation ceases it merely passes on, and where suitable circumstances offer, reveals itself afresh in another name or form."

Birth is the arising of the psycho-physical phenomena. Death is merely the temporary end of a temporary phenomenon.

"...kammic energy re-materializes itself in another form..."

To be frank, it all sounds like simple, unadulterated woo to me...

However... they are not your words... so maybe you don't ascribe to them... or do you?

But these are you words:
For me, in the words of Dogen, "To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things."

"... To study the self is to forget the self ... "

Erm... if that ain't woo-speak then I'm seriously confused

I hope this helps :) !

And I, sincerely, hope you don't mind me asking frank questions

I do not intend to insult you nor do I want to debase your belief system... I simply want to understand what, if anything, is non-wooey about Buddhism
 
Knowing nothing of anatta, I Googled and found http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell09.htm


"...kammic energy re-materializes itself in another form..."

To be frank, it all sounds like simple, unadulterated woo to me...

However... they are not your words... so maybe you don't ascribe to them... or do you?

Yeah, BuddhaNet is filled with woo.

Anatta is the doctrine of no-self, not-self, etc. Basically, it means that things lack an inherent, permanent, independent existence, or self. In terms of a person, it means that one has no permanent, unchanging soul, or atman.

Basically, in Buddhism a person is made up of five khandas, these are form, feeling, perception, volitional mental formation or will, and consciousness. Each of these are dependent upon the other and are constantly changing and are not-self.

But these are you words:


"... To study the self is to forget the self ... "

Erm... if that ain't woo-speak then I'm seriously confused

Well, it doesn't involve karmic energy if that's what you mean :) .

Basically, it refers to in meditation when you analyze your mind, and find that the typical idea of "self" is wrong. It is basically to stop seeing yourself as an independent, eternal, singular entity "in here". To remove the distinction between self and other.

From what I know, this is pretty much the exact opposite of most every other religion.

And I, sincerely, hope you don't mind me asking frank questions

I do not intend to insult you nor do I want to debase your belief system... I simply want to understand what, if anything, is non-wooey about Buddhism

Oh, it is perfectly fine :) .

If you want I could recommend some proper sources. Most things you find are filled with fluff.
 

Well, I'm not sure I understand the "Mc" part, but I did not mean that only one tradition is True Buddhism. It's just that most books out there are about spiritual fluffiness, i.e. random thoughts about everyday life that don't really have anything to do with the main teachings.

If you want to read a good examination of the Zen view of a person from the point of view of Western philosophy, a good book is "Zen Action/ Zen Person".

"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" is considered a classic for American Zen, but despite the name it is very deep. Perhaps a little too deep for introduction.

Thich Nhat Hanh has written about five books a month, but for an intro I would recommend "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching". It is a great introduction, though they Mahayana concepts it gets into towards the end are a little extraneous.

For Theravada, the best are "What the Buddha Taught", "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere", and "Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness". "What the Buddha Taught" is more dry, however.

If you want to read an original beginner's text, read the Dhammapada, which can be found free online.

Also, for a completely non-supernatural view of Buddhism, "Buddhism Without Beliefs" is a great, simple, read, though it does not belong to a specific tradition.

Also, for the viewpoint for examining the Dhamma, read the Kalama Sutta. Some brief excerpts:

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.

"The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom four solaces are found here and now.

"'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him.

"'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) befall an evil-doer. I, however, think of doing evil to no one. Then, how can ill (results) affect me who do no evil deed?' This is the third solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) do not befall an evil-doer. Then I see myself purified in any case.' This is the fourth solace found by him.

Linky.

And damned if I can find it, but there was an ebook called "Buddhism For Skeptics" or something like that.

There are also Brad Warner's books, who takes a no-nonsense attitude and is skilled in the form of rough speech :p . He quotes his teacher as saying that if you believe in rebirth you are not a true Buddhist. But his books are also fairly autobiographical, though he has led an interesting life.

Also, a good Tibetan Buddhist book is "What Makes You Not a Buddhist". Though it focuses on the Four Seals, so it isn't really the best for learning the most about Buddhism.

And to relate this to the topic, none of these things contain anything like the practice in the OP :p . And quite a few clearly state that it is incorrect.

Another good ebook (IIRC) is Buddhism for Students, which I believe can be found at BuddhaNet, though I am loathe to point you there :p .
 
Well, I'm not sure I understand the "Mc" part, but I did not mean that only one tradition is True Buddhism.

It was a nod to the "No True Scotsman", something I assumed you'd recognise... My apologies...

It's just that most books out there are about spiritual fluffiness, i.e. random thoughts about everyday life that don't really have anything to do with the main teachings.

Please don't think that I'm ungrateful for your detailed replies, but I'm afraid I don't want "a good examination of the Zen view of a person from the point of view of Western philosophy" or any other subjective accounts (which is what I infer from titles like "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching", "What the Buddha Taught", "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere", and (C/- your link) the Kalama Sutta, which - in my opinion - out-woos many of the most rabid fundies hands down

Instead, I'm looking for an objective account

For example:

Christianity:
a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior​

Short, sharp, and clearly identifying Christianity as woo

Buddhism
Buddhism was founded in India around 500 B.C. by Gautama Sakyamuni, who taught that the cause of all suffering is desire. When desire is extinguished, the individual may attain nirvana (nothingness) and thus escape the painful cycle of birth, life, and death.​

Again, short, sharp, and - to me - clearly identifying Buddhism as pure woo:
vis "painful cycle of birth, life, and death"

I guess I'm confused by what I interpret as many self-professed sceptics giving Buddhism what I regard as an unduly easy ride and, assuming there's a reason why, I'm looking for something that tells me that my interpretation is wrong

In the meantime, I will continue to regard Buddhism as just as bad as any other religion
 
A couple decide together not to have sex and not to go more than a certain distance from each other.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why it's anybody's business but their own?
 
Indeed! And do not reject these teachings as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true.
 
A couple decide together not to have sex and not to go more than a certain distance from each other.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why it's anybody's business but their own?

It's not. I don't really care so much about that couple, but I was using it as a means to learn more about buddhism. This thread has lead to that, and that was what I was intending.

The publication in the NYT helped to learn more about the society we live in. People believe in all kinds of things, and without hearing about it, how can we make decisions about the world around us. If people believe in woo ideas, such as bigfoot and extraterrestrials, then it may be a cultural influence.
 
A couple decide together not to have sex and not to go more than a certain distance from each other.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why it's anybody's business but their own?

So far, the answer to your question is "no."

I share your sentiment.
 
It was a nod to the "No True Scotsman", something I assumed you'd recognise... My apologies...



Please don't think that I'm ungrateful for your detailed replies, but I'm afraid I don't want "a good examination of the Zen view of a person from the point of view of Western philosophy" or any other subjective accounts (which is what I infer from titles like "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching", "What the Buddha Taught", "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere", and (C/- your link) the Kalama Sutta, which - in my opinion - out-woos many of the most rabid fundies hands down

Instead, I'm looking for an objective account

For example:

Christianity:
a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior​

Short, sharp, and clearly identifying Christianity as woo

Buddhism
Buddhism was founded in India around 500 B.C. by Gautama Sakyamuni, who taught that the cause of all suffering is desire. When desire is extinguished, the individual may attain nirvana (nothingness) and thus escape the painful cycle of birth, life, and death.​

Again, short, sharp, and - to me - clearly identifying Buddhism as pure woo:
vis "painful cycle of birth, life, and death"

I guess I'm confused by what I interpret as many self-professed sceptics giving Buddhism what I regard as an unduly easy ride and, assuming there's a reason why, I'm looking for something that tells me that my interpretation is wrong

In the meantime, I will continue to regard Buddhism as just as bad as any other religion

As I've said in other threads, rebirth doesn't have to be literal. And I don't like those definitions. Of course, I don't think there can be an objective definition. Merely a setting it into a more comfortable subjective definition.

And I don't view all religions as bad, or all the priests as charlatans.

I think skeptics are less concerned with it because most of us live in societies where it is rare. Christians, Muslims, etc. have more of an effect on us than Buddhists.

Also, Buddhism is non-theistic, with the only supernatural concepts being kamma and rebirth (which, again, are considered by many in a non-supernatural way), and is very much focused on you and the present moment (Or at least enough traditions are).
 
A couple decide together not to have sex and not to go more than a certain distance from each other.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why it's anybody's business but their own?

Because they agreed to be photographed and interviewed for a newspaper article?
 
Because they agreed to be photographed and interviewed for a newspaper article?

I am glad I got some support for this thread. :)
It seemed I was getting flamed for a current event topic which I was using to learn more about a particular religion.
 
Also, Buddhism is non-theistic

In my book: woo is woo is woo is woo

All woo encourages people - my neighbours, colleagues, friends, whatever - to switch off part of their brains and accept nonsense instead of reality


with the only supernatural concepts being kamma and rebirth (which, again, are considered by many in a non-supernatural way)

Please describe a verifiable instance of
  1. natural karma (kamma)
  2. natural rebirth
very much focused on you and the present moment (Or at least enough traditions are).

I would have thought that mainstream Thai Buddhism was one significant tradition...

I have discussed buddhism - in some depth - with a couple of otherwise intelligent Thais that I know quite well

Although reluctant to admit such blatant stupidity, they adhere to the notion that if you're born into a trashy neighbourhood, you obviously deserve to live there

So... please... tell me how/why buddhism ain't not just woo but dangerous woo that oppresses millions of people
 
Last edited:
Dude: Hey, I've got a new girlfriend!

Friend: Oh yeah? How's she look?

Dude: Hot! Pretty face, long hair, nice body.

Friend: Awesome! Waiter, two more beers please.

Dude: You know it!

Friend: So, have you, you know, hit it yet?

Dude: Well, our friendship is much deeper and more spiritual than that. We feel that...

Friend: Whatever. See if you can snag that NTN game control so we can play the big screen trivia.
 
six7s,

Please describe a verifiable instance of
  1. natural karma (kamma)
  2. natural rebirth

Pragmatically, I view samsara as the potential for the arising of suffering and nibbana as the cessation of that potential. Kamma is intentional actions of body, speech and mind that give rise to pleasant, unpleasant or neutral feelings. I am able to look back and see how many of my unskillful actions ripened into unskillful results, and how those consequences were not worth the relatively small amounts of happiness they provided. The reverse is true in regard to my skillful actions. These teachings not only make logical sense to me, but I have at least experienced a level of kamma and rebirth in this life by observing my intentions translate into actions, my actions translate into results, my experience of happiness or unhappiness based upon those results, and how the being I am now is physically and psychologically different than the being I was in the past.


In my book: woo is woo is woo is woo

All woo encourages people - my neighbours, colleagues, friends, whatever - to switch off part of their brains and accept nonsense instead of reality

...

I would have thought that mainstream Thai Buddhism was one significant tradition...

I have discussed buddhism - in some depth - with a couple of otherwise intelligent Thais that I know quite well

Although reluctant to admit such blatant stupidity, they adhere to the notion that if you're born into a trashy neighbourhood, you obviously deserve to live there

So... please... tell me how/why buddhism ain't not just woo but dangerous woo that oppresses millions of people

While I am heartened by your efforts to discuss Buddhism with intelligent Thai Buddhists, I am disheartened that your conclusions about Buddhism seem to stem more from such discussions and your own perception of what is "blatant stupidity" instead of what the Pali Canon and knowledgeable teachers have to say on the matter. Being a practitioner of Thai Theravada Buddhism myself, I can assure you that while such ideas regarding kamma are quite common with Thai people in general, they are more of a cultural interpretation of kamma than anything else. Therefore, I think it is unfair to criticism Buddhism in general, and the doctrine of kamma in particular, based upon certain cultural interpretations of what the Buddha taught that, in my opinion, are faulty. That said, perhaps it would be helpful to explore what the Pali Canon has to say about kamma.

There are many misconception in regard to kamma and the ways in which kamma is said to work. To begin with, the Buddha said, "Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, and intellect" (AN 6.63). The word itself simply means "action." Thus, kamma is commonly defined as intentional actions of body, speech, and mind. Intention (cetana) is a product of the aggregate of mental formations (sankharakhandha). The cause by which kamma comes into play is contact (phassa). Furthermore, according to Nyanatiloka's Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, vipaka is "any... mental phenomenon (e.g. bodily agreeable or painful feeling, sense-consciousness, etc.), which is the result of wholesome or unwholesome volitional action (karma, q.v.) through body, speech or mind, done either in this or some previous life."

On a more simplistic level, volitional actions of body, speech, and mind (kamma) produce fruits or results (vipaka) as long as there is ignorance (avijja), i.e., ignorance of the Four Noble Truths, present. With ignorance present, all intentional actions of body, speech, or mind are said to have the potential to ripen during this life-time (dittha-dhamma-vedaniya-kamma), in the next birth (upapajja-vedaniya-kamma), or in later births (aparapariya-vedaniya kamma). Additionally, the commentarial tradition of Theravada denies that everything is the result of kamma. According to them, there are five natural laws (panca-niyamas) which operate in the physical and mental worlds. The five laws are seasonal laws (utu-niyama), biological laws (bija-niyama), psychological laws (citta-niyama), kammic laws (kamma-niyama), and natural laws (dhamma-niyama) *.

Consulting Nyanatiloka's Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines once again, he states that kamma-produced corporeal things are never called kamma-vipaka (kamma-result) "as this term may be applied only to mental phenomena." Instead, they are termed kammaja or kamma-samutthana (kamma-produced). This category would include phenomena such as the sense organs, and these phenomena are said to be conditioned through wholesome or unwholesome volitional actions in a previous existence. To summerize, kamma is intentional actions of body, speech, and mind that are performed in the present moment, the present moment is conditioned by the results of past actions combined with the results of present actions, the psychological results are termed kamma-vipaka and the corporeal results are termed kamma-samutthana.

With all of this in mind, I believe that in certain contexts, it would be appropriate to think of kamma as "habit energy" in that the potential effect of an action can be to strengthen certain physical and psychological reactions. This is especially true in regard to psychological reactions considering that vipaka is limited specifically to "mental phenomena," i.e., corporeal things are never called kamma-vipaka. While it is true that the teachings on kamma state that kamma leads to rebirth, and to some extent, certain mental and physical circumstances of future lives, the idea that a person "deserves" the results of their actions fails to take into consideration that such circumstances are the result of an impersonal process of causation. It is not a kind of post-mortem justice, and a person should not be resigned to accept any experience of suffering in the present.

As previously mentioned, a common misconception is that kamma is a form of absolute determinism in that everything is the result of actions done in previous lives, but Theravadin doctrine clearly states that our experience of the present moment is conditioned by (i) the results of past actions combined with the results of present actions and (ii) the five natural laws that operate in the physical and mental worlds. This means that one always has some means to effect their current circumstances at any time in the form of their present actions. If a person is experiencing unhappiness in the form of being born into a trashy neighborhood, for example, they can always change how they react to such circumstances (e.g., being happy that at least they are not homeless, et cetera) or the circumstances themselves (e.g., improve the neighborhood, move, et cetera).

Classifying something as "woo" just because one does not accept the possibilty does not constitute a resonable argument that the concept itself is nonsense, or that people who accept such possibilities are shutting off their brains. While I admit that the literal interpretation of rebirth is difficult, if not impossible, to prove (all of the most convicing evidence I have seen in support of this possibility has been in the form of case studies and first-hand accounts), it has yet to be disproven. Perhaps consciousness is simply a by-product of electrochemical processes in the brain, but perhaps there is another dimension to consciousness that science has yet to discover. Either way, until science has found a way to rule out the possibility that consciousness can exist outside of the body or condition the arising of a new consciousness, rebirth is simply an unproven hypothesis.

Jason
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom