• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

EXE files don't open on Ubuntu; where to upgrade BIOS?

Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
556
Ubuntu, a Linux OS, will not open EXE files. Where can I find a BIOS upgrade for my computer written in a format that Ubuntu can open?

I understand there's a program called Wine that can open EXE files, but to use it you have to write libraries and such in the system first and I'd rather not do that, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to geekspeak. I'd really just like to stay away from Windows altogether for all the malware, that's why I got rid of XP to begin with. ;) But, aparently, EXE files will only open in Windows. So I cannot open the new BIOS software I just downloaded, or Hijackthis, or iTunes or any of my other old toys. I need new toys!

Where do I find them? I especially need the BIOS upgrade. The current one is 1998 and has "flash bugs" and a problem with something called ACPI, and it freezes up to 20 times a day and I have to unplug and reboot and that's really irritating. LOL. The computer is an ECS iBuddie A900.

ETA: I have looked on the ECS website, the only download they have for this system is an EXE.
 
Last edited:
Let me rephrase this, 'cause I was confused about the request on first reading.

You wish to upgrade the BIOS of your computer. However, the BIOS installer you have only runs on Windows. So, you need a way to run the BIOS-Installer-Exe from Linux.

Is that correct?

It sounded, at first, as if you needed a BIOS upgrade in order to run EXEs, which would not be true. Running EXEs has nothing to do with the BIOS. But, it does have everything to do with the operating system.

You might want to ask the PC maker if they have BIOS installers that can run from a boot disk.
 
Yes that is correct. That first one. :)

After rereading I suppose I could have written that a little better. :) Yes, I have the new BIOS file downloaded already, but because it is an EXE file, Ubuntu can't open it or install it. So, is there another BIOS file for this machine that is written in a format other than EXE?

Or, would it be better to go ahead and install Wine? All the code involved with that kinda freaks me out.

ETA:WineHQ
 
Last edited:
Not sure if a BIOS upgrade will work through wine, myself. But, if it isn't too much trouble, you could give it a try.

Not sure if a virtual machine running Windows will work, either. BIOS upgrades upgrade the firmware on the motherboard, and would require an enviormnent that would have direct access to the motherboard.

If they don't make an upgrade that can run from Linux, your best bet would see if they have one that can run from a boot disk.
(In the old days, BIOS firmware could only be upgraded from a boot disk.)

If your machine does not have a floppy drive, you could create a bootable CD-ROM or possibly boot from a USB thumb drive.
 
Yes, I have the new BIOS file downloaded already, but because it is an EXE file, Ubuntu can't open it or install it. So, is there another BIOS file for this machine that is written in a format other than EXE?

What is the brand of the BIOS? Award? Phoenix?

My experience with my own computers has been thus far that there's always been a simple command-line tool which works off a bootable DOS-floppy to upgrade the BIOS.

Some BIOS-es also have the upgrade option built in in the BIOS.

I don't like the idea either that I'm upgrading the lowest level of software in my computer with twenty layers in between.
 
The reality is that Linux is not Windows and that you should not expect to be able to run any Windows program (which is what .exe files are). They are completely different and incompatible operating systems.

Some Windows programs will run under Wine (which emulates certain parts of Windows) with a bit of work, but not always very satisfactory.

A BIOS update program designed for Windows is most likely not going to work, as it requires functionality that Wine probably does not provide. It also modifies an extremely critical part of the computer and any errors that might happen during the update could render your computer unusable. Check if the manufacturer has a BIOS update that can be run directly from a bootable floppy disk or CD-ROM.

As for your old toys... Your best bet is to look for Linux alternatives, either through your distribution's package manager or websites like http://www.freshmeat.net/
 
Last edited:
The thumb drive is a good idea; my machine has a CD ROM and USB, and that's it. No floppy, no burner, nothing. I can't write a disk to use, at least not on this computer. Is it possible to set-up to boot from USB in order to use the thumb drive?

And if that's possible, can I boot using the .exe file on my thumb drive? BIOS doesn't actually have to do with the OS, the BIOS runs the mainboard. Since the BIOS starts up before the OS, it should work. Right?
 
The system has to support booting from USB. You can go into the BIOS settings, to take a look. Most systems will allow you to change the order of boot-up: Hard disk, CD-ROM, floppy drive, and USB thumb drive. Set the USB thumb drive to be checked first, if it is not already.

You usually enter the BIOS settings by hitting a key on the boot screen, usually F1, F12 or Del.

If your PC came with a user's manual, you can look into it for details.

The USB device will need a boot sector and boot files on it.

Searching "boot from thumb drive" in Google give you some more information:
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1846793,00.asp
http://www.hddsaver.com/content/18/
etc.

Apparently, you can even put a bootable version of XP on a thumb drive: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6346-5928902.html
 
Or, would it be better to go ahead and install Wine? All the code involved with that kinda freaks me out.

ETA:WineHQ

If you're the sort of person that's freaked out by the thought of having to install wine, I recommend you take the computer to a shop and ask them to flash the bios for you. This job is harder to do, and there's too much stuff that could go wrong when your computer can freeze in the middle of a bios update.
 
The easiest way is probably to use FreeDOS- the instructions are at www linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos-windows-no-floppy-drive.html
 
Ok everyone back up. What does "flashing the BIOS" mean?

Remember I 'm a n00b at code. I need it spelled out step by step. :) The machine is an ECS iBuddie A900, the BIOS version is 1998 (I need the 2000 upgrade or better), the OS is Ubuntu 7.10, and the BIOS chip is 686 AMBIOS DC 2000 AA04 0129. (I took it apart and found this number because it's my understanding that the software has to match up with the chipset, otherwise the system can be damaged.)

I have built computers before. :D Really I have. But programming them is a different story. Windows spoiled me. LOL

ETA: I tried it and yes, I can set it to boot from a USB drive. :) So if I can find the right BIOS software then I can put it on the thumb drive, and then restart the computer, but then what's next?
 
Last edited:
"Flashing the BIOS" means replacing the existing bios info with the new version. It's usually kept in flash memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS). Think upgrading the firmware/software of your iPod. You don't have to program anything. The chipset is not generally what you have provided. I think you have given us the inventory/part number of the individual chip. You want the chipset that matches your motherboard. For example, the Generic 486 GNS might have onboard graphics, networking card, and sound while the Generic 486 GGE will have onboard graphics, gigabit networking card (a 10/100/1000), and has PCI Express slots. If you have the GGE, you don't want to use the GNS bios, eventhough it's from the same manufacturer.

Typically, once you've loaded your thumb drive with the program and bios file, the program will run itself on reboot, ask if it's ok to upgrade/flash/replace your current bios. You confirm, then reboot with the new bios in place.

Your mileage may vary, so don't take my word for it. :)
 
Last edited:
I have built computers before. :D Really I have. But programming them is a different story. Windows spoiled me. LOL
Simply put you need to do four things.

1. Download the latest bios update for your computer. I think this might be it, but I'm not sure. I'm going to use it as the example anyway. The ZIP file contains an MS-DOS program that will upgrade the BIOS.

2. Install a basic MS-DOS compatible operating system on a USB memory stick (or CD-ROM) that has been made bootable. I can't really help you there, but I believe there are free solutions out there. Maybe someone else knows.

3. Copy the contents of the A900 folder in ZIP file from earlier (again, assuming that is the right BIOS update) onto the same memory stick.

4. Boot from the memory stick and then run the BIOS update (A900.bat) from the DOS prompt and follow any instructions it may give you. This is a very critical stage where interfering with the process or a crash can render the computer unusable. Once it has completed (it will probably tell you), reboot the computer as normal and you should have the new BIOS version installed.
 
A more fundamental question: Do you need to update the BIOS? If things are working fine, then there may not be any need.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 
I agree that upgrading your BIOS may not be necessary. If you don't have a really compelling reason to do it, I'd say don't bother.

As for replacing your old toys, this is a good start:

http://www.linuxalt.com/
 
A more fundamental question: Do you need to update the BIOS? If things are working fine, then there may not be any need.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes. The computer freezes often -the most I've counted in one sitting is 19 times- and the only way to unfreeze it is to unplug it and reboot, which is bad for the system and also just plain irritating when I'm trying to work. It doesn't go black or anything, it just stops, mid-task. And always while I'm on the internet. This is a problem that existed before the change to Ubuntu. I suspect a virus, or virus damage, and, since Ubuntu pops up all kinds of bios-related failures when booting up, mainly due to it being too old, it makes sense to update.
 
Yes. The computer freezes often -the most I've counted in one sitting is 19 times- and the only way to unfreeze it is to unplug it and reboot, which is bad for the system and also just plain irritating when I'm trying to work. It doesn't go black or anything, it just stops, mid-task. And always while I'm on the internet. This is a problem that existed before the change to Ubuntu. I suspect a virus, or virus damage, and, since Ubuntu pops up all kinds of bios-related failures when booting up, mainly due to it being too old, it makes sense to update.
This could be caused by faulty RAM. Have you tried running Memtest86? If you have a standard installation of Ubuntu, Memstest86 should be included in your boot menu. After you power on your computer, you should get a screen that say something like "GRUB loading. please wait… Press Esc to enter the menu…". If you press Esc and then select Memtest86, it should start running all sorts of tests on your RAM. Note that it might take quite a while to complete.

Memtest86 is also included on the desktop installation CD.

There are of course other reasons why your system might crash randomly, like faulty fans causing overheating.
 
This could be caused by faulty RAM. Have you tried running Memtest86? If you have a standard installation of Ubuntu, Memstest86 should be included in your boot menu. After you power on your computer, you should get a screen that say something like "GRUB loading. please wait… Press Esc to enter the menu…". If you press Esc and then select Memtest86, it should start running all sorts of tests on your RAM. Note that it might take quite a while to complete.

Memtest86 is also included on the desktop installation CD.

There are of course other reasons why your system might crash randomly, like faulty fans causing overheating.
Seconded. There are lots of things that can cause the system to freeze; usually either a software problem or failing hardware.

As you say this existed before you switched to Ubuntu (was it Windows?), it is unlikely to be a software problem. However, if it did not happen when the computer was new, then the most likely culprit is a hardware problem.

One simple thing that may help - as long as you're reasonably careful - is to open the case, carefully vacuum the inside, and push down on all the cards to make sure they're seated. Also look at the fans: if they're gummed up, overheating is almost certainly the culprit. (They could also have failed; take a look when the computer is on to ensure that all fans are running.)

Another possibility is a failing power supply, especially if you've added or changed cards (most notably a graphics card, which can be quite power-hungry). If you can, try taking out cards you don't need - if any - and see if that makes a difference.

By the way, I don't know if Ubuntu is configured to enable this, but Linux can have a "magic key" combo that will sometimes reboot stuck machines: Alt+SysReq+B (press all three together; SysReq is the same as the PrtSc [PrintScreen] key).

ETA: I don't think it's very likely a BIOS update will fix your problem, unless you have specific reasons to believe it may. In particular, if the description for the BIOS update doesn't say anything about fixing system freezes, then it is extremely improbable that it will fix your problem.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom