• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

St. Malachy's prophecies, anyone?

fkwebinash

DEFINITELY not a paid disinfo agent
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
254
So, everytime a Pope dies, the "Prophecy of the Popes" always comes up as a discussion topic on the media until the new pope gets elected, then it all falls down to oblivion until the next one kicks the bucket, and the cycle repeats.

Not familiar with the Prophecy of the Popes, you say?

Well, I'll explain you easily:

There was this guy. He was named St. Malachy. So-called prophet, he predicted Irish oppretion from the British (Where he was right), and the conversion of the English back to catholicism (Where he was wrong).

So, apparently the guy made this bunch of prophecies with the description of every Pope from his era up to the end of the World. (Which would be 112). This was around the 12th century. Of course, he didn't say "Pope number 52 will be called XXX, and Pope Number 53 will be called YYY", and so on. If that would be the case, I would be converted to catholicism by now. He gave him descriptive mottos to each. For example, John Paul II had the motto "De Labori Solis" (Roughly translated by me as "The Labor of the Sun"). And so on, and so forth.

  • So, why do the people believe on the prophecies?

Because of his "amazing prophetic skills".

<believer>
He predicted with nearly 100% accuracy the early popes, and with a lot of accuracy the ones from our modern time.
</believer>

Now, most of people believe that the End of ze world is just ahead of us because our current pope, Benedict XVI is the pope number 111 (The number of the... pope?), if we count that one who died before he managed to get to the Pope chair, and the next one is ought to be "Petrus Romanus" (Peter the Roman, as accurate as I can get with my basic latin. Note that none of the popes ever chose "Peter II" due to respect of the poor apostle), according to his last "verse", which is supposed to be the last pope, and then, bam, Armageddon. He also predicts the destruction of Rome, etc etc.

Also, the "Basílica de San Pablo Extramuros" of Rome. They have a room filled with gigantic medallions, where people have painted a face of the Pope and the time of their reign after they died. There's only one left, and it's reserved to Benedict XVI. Tourist guides say that when Benedict XVI kicks the bucket the World will end. Oh, dear

  • But, what is the problem with these prophecies?

They are WAY too vague.

Consider this:

-The prophecy was apparently made on the 12th century (Between 1094 and 1148, the lifetime of Malachy, although I don't believe that he knew how to write when he was 1 year old).
-Now, the prophecies were made public around 1590 (give or take a few years), where this guy made a biography of St. Malachy, and said he "found the prophecies locked in the Roman Archives".

Remember how I told you that the prophecies were nearly flawless on the early popes?

Because, the prophecies start to get vague at around 1600, after the release of the "hidden prophecies".

JPII motto, "From the Labor of the Sun", can be considered as a post-diction, because, it could be rather because his father traveled around the Earth (Like the Sun, if we see the prophecy as "Pre-Copernicus"), or the fact that he apparently was born and died both on a solar eclipse, or this, or that, or the other thing, etc etc.

Same goes for Benedict XVI. His motto is "De gloria olivae" (Glory of the olive) which looks like a post-diction, as well. It could rather be from the Benedictine order (Benedict=Benedictine, good call, perhaps? No, as only 7 names have been used recently. Benedict XVI said that he uses his current name because he wants to follow Benedict XV's theological conservatism), as they had an olive on their coat of arms. It could also mean to have an olive in Benedict's coat of arms, or having an "olive complexion" (Latino or Black). It could also have meant that he came from an olive farm, or whatever.

Or he could have AT LEAST had the kindness to put on the prediction that John Paul I was going to live a month after his papal reign. And nope, he just said "De Medietate Lunae", which, again, my rough latin could say that it says "Of the middle of the Moon", or "In the middle of the Moon".

Last, but not least, the last prediction (Petrus Romanus, Armageddon, blah, blah, blah) wasn't on the original "release" of the prophecy. It seems that it was added after 1820, as the other "editions" of the prophecy do not show this.

I came up with this post after I heard rumors on the radio that Benedict XVI was "on a grave condition". I just noticed around the middle of writing this post that the report was not true.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
 
I think I'll, pass, thank you.

Since I think that the use of 'saint' or its abbreviations is a sure sign of woo, and since I think that the use of 'prophecy' is a sure sign of woo, there is the potential for a perfect storm of woo when they are combined in a thread title.

Much worse, there is every indication that the OP writer actually believes this stuff.

I hope he can come up with better threads in the future.
 
Much worse, there is every indication that the OP writer actually believes this stuff.

How shameless of you to think that I believe on this. At the end, I wrote that it came to my mind when the pope was "dying".

Just wanted to discuss this ********* of woo with you.

Edited by Locknar: 
Edited, breach of rule 10; do not curse in posts or mask such words in an attempt to by-pass the auto-censor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How shameless of you to think that I believe on this. At the end, I wrote that it came to my mind when the pope was "dying".

Just wanted to discuss this ********* of woo with you.
Edited by Locknar: 
Moderated content edited.


If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I gave your OP a one-second scan - I no longer give apparent woo more than that.

Can't imagine why you want to talk about this, but if you get any takers, have at it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I gave your OP a one-second scan - I no longer give apparent woo more than that.

Can't imagine why you want to talk about this, but if you get any takers, have at it.

Just for general discussion about it. I bet that when Benedict XVI dies, uncountable waves of woo will come to the world, so, why don't we prepare for that?
 
Just for general discussion about it. I bet that when Benedict XVI dies, uncountable waves of woo will come to the world, so, why don't we prepare for that?

I don't think that will happen. However, if the next Pope picks the name Peter II, then there will be one heck of a woo-storm. At least until he dies and there's another Pope after that.

Did JPII die during a solar eclipse? I'll have to look that up.

ETA: There was a solar eclipse on the day of his funeral, but not on the day he died.
 
Last edited:
Last, but not least, the last prediction (Petrus Romanus, Armageddon, blah, blah, blah) wasn't on the original "release" of the prophecy. It seems that it was added after 1820, as the other "editions" of the prophecy do not show this.

I know there was a paragraph of explanation associated with "Peter the Roman", where the other ones just had names. Was it the paragraph that was added, or was the name itself lacking in previous editions?

If the name itself was added, then the conclusion is obvious. Benedict is the last pope.;)
 
If we could know that they were made back in the 12th century, I'd have to say it would be pretty hard to deny some of the predictions. But all the predictions that are spookily accurate just happen to concern pre-1590 popes, and the predictions just happen to have been made public in 1590...

I'm not worried about this.
 
I know there was a paragraph of explanation associated with "Peter the Roman", where the other ones just had names. Was it the paragraph that was added, or was the name itself lacking in previous editions?

If the name itself was added, then the conclusion is obvious. Benedict is the last pope.;)

The whole entry is missing on the pre-1820 editions. Not just the name.
 
The whole entry is missing on the pre-1820 editions. Not just the name.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. So the whole "Peter the Roman" thing was a post-prophecy addition? Sounded more dramatic to make sure that all the popes were listed? Not just a list of names, but a complete, final, list of names?

A thought just occurred to me. The manuscripts of the prophecies were "discovered" in the 16th century. One of the reasons good Catholics are actually told to reject the prophecies, if I remember the story correctly, was that they didn't just contain the "real" popes, but the "anti-Popes". Were the prophecies "discovered" during or very shortly after the anti-Popes? Could it have been some pseudo-magical conspiracy to try and confer some legitimacy on the schismatic popes? I don't know the dates well enough to pass judgement on that possibility.
 
I must say stuff like these "prophercies" are a bunch crap designed to scare as many people to attend curch as possible just like the original omen trilogy "devil didn't want it made" conspiracy.

Also shortly after pope Benedict become the pope I read some thing similar that stated that the next pope will be a demon if not the devil himself impersinating pope John Paul 2.
 
112

2012

ZOMFG! :eye-poppi:eek::eek::eek::yikes::scared::faint: It's all lining up!
 
Last edited:
Even if the prophecies were correct, that is not evidence of prophecy. It is possible that the College of Cardinals are very much aware of the prophecies and choose popes who fulfill the "descriptions."
 
Actually, I remember a deeply religious fellow telling me about how there was only space for a few more popes before the end of the world, and had frequently wondered if he had been pulling my leg or if there actually was such a wall of portraits.
 
So basically from what people are saying (and I've read as well) these so called "prophecies" are spot on accurate for everything before the date they were supposedly found and are strangely vague for everything after that date.

Uh huh, right. My mind is not so open that it runs out my ears.
 
Greetings in the Resurrected Christ from Peter the Roman!

Even if the prophecies were correct, that is not evidence of prophecy.

You've got your signals crossed a little there. Correct prophecy, that which is truly a communication from God to man, is also evidence of prophecy. One can even call the devils' lies false prophecy. If it is locution, that is, the spoken and/or written word in any way, shape, or form, then it is prophecy.

It is possible that the College of Cardinals are very much aware of the prophecies and choose popes who fulfill the "descriptions."

That brings up an interesting point, the fact of "the mystery of iniquity" as written in prophecy and how it meets up with faith/moral infallibility. The selecting of Cardinals is not an invoking process as in the case of Matthias, the first to fill a vacant Christian office, so error is virtually invited. There is a prophecy which I have been studying which one would normally interpret to mean that Cardinal Ratzinger, when elected, was a Roman of good age.

The only way I keep my head at times (I know that might seem a bit strange to some), is knowing that I am Peter the Roman, and ultimately, I am not subject to voting by men.
 
Umm, say what?? What in the world do you mean when you say 'I am Peter The Roman', etc??
Either I'm missing something (not impossible by any means), or someone is a bit (fill in the blanks).
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom