gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
- Joined
- Jun 18, 2006
- Messages
- 25,327
Hrm, good question. I don't think I have an easy answer. I have "friendships" with a lot of people who believe a lot of woo - it's a hazard of working in the film industry here. I also worked with an old English guy who was absolutely positive that the Apollo missions were faked - I still managed to be friends with him.
What kind of "truther" are we talking here? Take it like religion. I hate and despise organised religion of all kinds. Does that stop me from being friends with religious people? Of course not. It does stop me being friends with some religious people though - the sort that stop me in the street and say "If you die tonight are you going to heaven or hell?".
So yeah, I could be friends with someone who believed the 9/11 Conspiracy Theories - but possibly not a really close friend, and no I don't think I could be friends with the sort of "truthers" we see most regularly on these subforums.
What kind of "truther" are we talking here? Take it like religion. I hate and despise organised religion of all kinds. Does that stop me from being friends with religious people? Of course not. It does stop me being friends with some religious people though - the sort that stop me in the street and say "If you die tonight are you going to heaven or hell?".
So yeah, I could be friends with someone who believed the 9/11 Conspiracy Theories - but possibly not a really close friend, and no I don't think I could be friends with the sort of "truthers" we see most regularly on these subforums.