It's a latin term, but I suppose it's all greek to you..
Cute but silly. You didn't use any latin and you know as well as I do who originally got all hot and bothered about the taxonomy of logic.
Certainly and I do. There's almost a billion people in the world addicted to tobacco. There's more than that addicted to religion. There's less than that addicted to meth.
Pat but unjustified. We know a lot about the mechanism of tobacco addiction. The idea that religion is some sort of psychic addiction is a largely untested hypothesis. Fun to chant, though.
Who claimed otherwise? What does religion do for the individual? It is a balm for fear of dying. It absolves you from taking existential responsibility for yourself. What does it do sociologically? It provides a very cheap and effective way to control people on a large scale.
Religion can do some of these things. Of course, it's quite possible to do them without religion. These are themes in the literature dating back to Voltaire. When was the last time you tested them against reality?
1. We have evidence based medicine now. Very few people walk around obsessing about death. Yet religion persists.
2. Personal responsibility has been a constant theme in at least some protestant sects since Martin Luther. Check out some 19th century theologians, to gauge the timeliness of your complaint.
3. TV/internet is the new opiate of the masses, don't you read Calvin and Hobbes?
Religion does lots of things. Different religions even do different things. As mentioned earlier, I can't give you a complete list, because it falls into areas (social dynamics, identity, psychology, etc) that haven't been very well analyzed yet. Some of the obvious ones: fosters and creates conditions for various types of relationships; teaches various emotional processes (efficacy open to ordinary judgment), provides a tested moral framework etc.
Not at all. Your list suits YOUR purposes but you are omitting some of the largest sects. And even of the ones you list many have a quite violent and repressive history.
Since I was talking about making distinctions based on judgment (a point which you, like so many others ignore) I didn't so much omit the violent ones as I did judge and choose the helpful ones. The Westboro folks aren't my co-religionists any more than the Jain are. It's an entirely different conception of God. I have no trouble distinguishing between sects on the basis of the practioner's acts, and hold mine to the same standard.
To disregard evidence and become habituated to internalizing the fabricated doctrine as reality.
Allow me to translate from philosobable: Stawman. Paying attention to inner experience is not necessarily equivalent to disregarding the rules of objective evidence. Seriously, you just need to be clear about how conflicts get resolved.
If you aren't lying you don't need to appeal to credulity.
Sometimes, you might. I leave construction of the hypothetical as an exercise to the reader. In any event, the question of faith hasn't been raised by anyone but the atheists. In my view the important battle is to properly circumscribe its scope (or magisterium if you will, thanks JREF for the new vocab).
Completely wrong. The equivalence between them is the same with all religions. They ennoble the idea of faith, and usually make lack of faith questionable, if not a sin entirely.
On reflection, I feel you may be bringing a personal perspective to this question that I don't yet understand. In any event ennobling faith over reason would seem to be an epistomological choice, so the use of the word "completely" appears a little reflexive.
More to the point, I have specifically argued that a denomination's attitude toward faith is the litmus test for reasonableness. I and many others would say that faith has to be subordinate in the areas where our best epistomological methods have produced results.