Beth said:
Okay, I decided to stick with examples from just this thread. I went back and took a look at some of the early posts in this thread. I felt that V23, Epeos69 made valid arguments for their belief systems. I also think that thesyntaxera and most recently, HghrSymmetry have made valid defenses for their belief systems.
Ok, so you agree that they have valid arguments, but how do you make that decision? – that was the important question. What is the mechanism or commonality behind them
for you, so that you feel it’s proper to agree with them or dump them? I assume you’re not deciding randomly.
Beth said:
why? If you are making no assumptions, why not leave that one in as opposed to out?
Because, as you said, we must minimize bias. We might not totally rid ourselves from it, but we have to keep our options as open as possible. The interpretive chain must be deconstructed because it’s possible that there could be a shorter procession to a satisfactory conclusion.
Beth said:
Why is god the last in line? Even if is, when you have exhausted all other mundane explanations save coincidence or divine intervention, why pick one rather than other?
Because we can try to exhaust natural explanations but the supernatural ones are infinite. It’s pragmatic to start with the natural ones, and it’s possible that we don’t even have to venture into supernatural territory at all.
Beth said:
When you prioritize your possible explanations, when you choose between coincidence or divine intervention for a personally meaningful experience, you are making value judgments. And those value judgments are based on your assumptions about the existance or non-existance of god.
No, it’s doesn’t have to be a lottery, we try to let evidence lead the way, although it might come to choosing between coincidence and divine intervention, but it might also come to choosing between some other explanation and divine intervention. That’s why we refrain from a binary yes/no assumption for the existence of god in the beginning of the investigation, they are too limiting in their vagueness.
Beth said:
Absolutely. On the other hand, when we are evaluting a claim we have no personal knowledge of, it's not unusual or unreasonable to give credence to the opinions of others, particularly those whose judgment we respect and those who we trust to advise us with our best interests at heart. That's all part of judging the 'quality' of the evidence, which is, of course, a subjective value judgment based on our default assumptions.
Please understand, I'm not saying you are wrong. Your reasoning and support of your own beliefs is fine. It's consistent and follows from your basic assumptions about reality. You might well be right about reality.
What I'm saying that I don't know if you are right and it seems perfectly reasonable to me that other people believe differently for perfectly valid reasons as well. Their arguments are also consistent and follow from their basic, but different, assumptions about reality. They might be the ones who are right about reality.
We should give credence to the quality of the claim itself.
I don’t think it’s about who’s right or wrong, we can never know that in the absolute sense, it’s a discussion, and I’m interested in why you feel some god-claims are relevant and other’s aren’t. The only thing presented so far is: Since we don’t know absolutely, we can leave the door open.
But that doesn’t answer the question why the door is left open for some extraordinary claims but not for others. It’s pretty clear that the argument about not knowing isn’t playing the centre figure here, there’s something else in play.