• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Satanic D&D... for the kids!

That may have been true way back, but these days we have gamer girls.

Gamer girls <3

I'm old.

Now that you mention it I do know a very fetching Puerto Ricana who is into World of Warcraft to the detriment of every other facet of her life.
 
I think this is a good solution.
Move away from the evil and potentially dark influence of D&D to something more wholesome like call of cthulhu.

ha ha ha...ha ha HA..HA HA HA BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!! HAH HAH HAH----

--sorry. Failed my sanity check there for a sec.

Edited to add: I want to put in my props to Cheapass Games (mentioned earlier). I imagine that kids would have a good time with "Devil Bunny Needs a Ham" -- no, wait, with that title, it won't do. How about "Save Dr. Lucky"? It's a twist on a twist of "Clue" -- the original game was "Kill Dr. Lucky", in which instead of trying to find out who killed Dr. Lucky with the candlestick in the library, you're actually trying to kill Dr. Lucky with the candlestick in the library (probably also not a good choice). But anyway, "Save Dr. Lucky" is a game in which you're playing characters on the Titanic and you're trying to save the namesake. After a few turns, levels of the board disappear (they "sink"). It's fun. They have a variety of inexpensive and very silly games that would probably appeal to kids and do not involve elements that will swallow your soul.

Edited again to add: Zombiex, I like what you've done with the idea that defeating a monster doesn't kill it, but makes it your pet. That's pretty cool. Kind of a "pokemon" angle.
 
Last edited:
ha ha ha...ha ha HA..HA HA HA BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!! HAH HAH HAH----

--sorry. Failed my sanity check there for a sec.

Edited to add: I want to put in my props to Cheapass Games (mentioned earlier). I imagine that kids would have a good time with "Devil Bunny Needs a Ham" -- no, wait, with that title, it won't do. How about "Save Dr. Lucky"? It's a twist on a twist of "Clue" -- the original game was "Kill Dr. Lucky", in which instead of trying to find out who killed Dr. Lucky with the candlestick in the library, you're actually trying to kill Dr. Lucky with the candlestick in the library (probably also not a good choice). But anyway, "Save Dr. Lucky" is a game in which you're playing characters on the Titanic and you're trying to save the namesake. After a few turns, levels of the board disappear (they "sink"). It's fun. They have a variety of inexpensive and very silly games that would probably appeal to kids and do not involve elements that will swallow your soul.

Edited again to add: Zombiex, I like what you've done with the idea that defeating a monster doesn't kill it, but makes it your pet. That's pretty cool. Kind of a "pokemon" angle.
I second this. We've since lost them, but we used to have several CheapAss Games, and the kids loved them all. The first they played, and their all-time favorite, was "Devil Bunny Needs a Ham." Giggles didn't stop.

"Kill Dr. Lucky" surpasses "Save Dr. Lucky."

"Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond" is also fun.

Not quite as fun as the others mentioned, but still worth playing is "The Great Brain Robbery." Zombies on a train. In the Old West. Using cheese when they can't find brains. To see who ends up the smartest. Brilliant stuff.
 
These days, I tend to stick to either rules that are less than 100 pages long and are confined to one book, or rules that have been out of print for decades.

Star Wars Miniatures Battles (no, Star Wars Miniatures from WOTC... but the original minis game from West End Games)
Two Hour Wargames (any title, but I'm partial to Chain Reaction)
Gutshot
DBx (which I don't play often because I only have 15mm Saracen and French Crusader armies)
Silent Death
Play-Doh Tech

...and I could probably think of a few others!
 
And they'll have plenty of time seeing as they won't be dating, and all.
That may have been true way back, but these days we have gamer girls.
Gamer girls <3


I have noticed a sharp upswing in the past 10 years of female gamers, and quite a few of them are second and third generation gamers. When I started the gamer hobby back in '83, I would hit the local gaming conventions and you could count on one had the amount of females I saw that entire weekend at the con. Nowadays, they almost equal and at a few tables, they outnumber the men.
 
I have noticed a sharp upswing in the past 10 years of female gamers, and quite a few of them are second and third generation gamers. When I started the gamer hobby back in '83, I would hit the local gaming conventions and you could count on one had the amount of females I saw that entire weekend at the con. Nowadays, they almost equal and at a few tables, they outnumber the men.

My son is a member of his university gamers club and I made a joke about it being a tad all male geeky and he somewhat tartly informed me that many of their members were girls :boggled:

I thought girl gamer was an oxymoron but times appear to have changed.
 
Last edited:
I thought girl gamer was an oxymoron but times appear to have changed.


When my wife and I first started darting, it was very close to one of the bigger gaming cons in Texas. I tried telling her she would have a good time and make some new friends. She hesitated and hemmed and hawed,
but she did eventually go and she had a blast.

You see, I'm an old school mini wargamer. The kind who will spend a ton of money on miniatures that collect more dust than paint (and lately a case of lead rot on some old Ral Partha Battletech minis). She had a hard time understanding the idea of rummaging through boxes for old miniatures, basing, priming, painting, packing up your tackle box with minis, driving across town to a dark and dank hole-in-wall game store who is owned and operated by a guy who makes Ozzy Osborne look a straight and upright citizen, doing math, rolling dice, flipping through books, arguing with the people across the table about how much cover a tree gives a figure, unpacking your tackle box in a way that makes the people across the table "ooh" and "ahh", how a listerene bottle with a few bits of sprue and a pipe cleaner would make an awesome sci-fi tank, and why everyone pointed and giggled when a LARPer walked past.

She now is a MiB for Steve Jackson Games and can quote from the entire line of Munchkin cards. Last month she went all fangirl on a guy who badmouthed Alan Tudyk in a movie review.

<sniff!> I'm so proud of my girl!
 
Hah, me too! Interestingly, that's a different Steve Jackson than the one of SJG fame. Instead, he was co-founder of Games Workshop.

You serious? I thought they were the same guy. The timing seemed to be appropriate...

:confused:
 
Here is the Jack Chick tract, "Dark Dungeon", but reviewed page-by-page by someone who has a grip on reality...

http://hexfiles.multiservers.com/soapbox/tract/ddungeon.htm

Enjoy!

haha. That was funny.

Awe yes - I remember fondly (not!) when I was a kid and He-Man Hysteria swept the nation (or at least my in-laws). I sure missed those satanic toys! ;)

I also miss listening to the talk in the evenings about the dangers of Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies! We know those two genre's are way more violent, sexual, and evil then good old-fashioned and respectable Westerns!
 
Last edited:
I play Civil war Mineatures using the "Johnny Reb" rules myself.
But FSM, I played a LOT of D and D in my youth.
ANybody remember that great comedy routing they did on D and D.It started out with a melodramatic voice saying how they were going to expose the Satanic evil behind D and D,and what followed is a dead on,drop dead funny, version of a typical D and D session.
Great stuff,it is available on one of Dr Demento's CD sets.
 
Re: gamer girls - I'm married to one, and almost every campaign I've been in has had a higher proportion of females than the population from which the players were drawn (i.e. an engineering school, predominantly male).

As far as the OP - I heard of a case where a televangelist kept bashing D&D as satanic until a gamer brought him a rulebook (or several, I'm not sure) and challenged the preacher to find anything promoting satanism, demon worship, witchcraft, etc, and promised to eat any page containing such. The intact books were, after a bit of reading, handed back to the hungry gamer with an apology. Not sure if it's true or an urban legend, but nice if true.

In a similar vein, bring the rulebooks from the game you're running (and sets of rulebooks from whatever alternate RPG you're considering) and have the crazy lady look through them. Even better - have your boss look through them. Offer to let the boss and/or crazy lady sit in on a session, if possible. Also, point out that crazy lady's spawn is not involved in the gaming in any way, so what's her beef?
 
I play Civil War Miniatures using the "Johnny Reb" rules myself.

Now there's a game I haven't played since the 20th century! Didn't they just re-release the rules?

ANybody remember that great comedy routing they did on D and D.It started out with a melodramatic voice saying how they were going to expose the Satanic evil behind D and D,and what followed is a dead on,drop dead funny, version of a typical D and D session.
Great stuff,it is available on one of Dr Demento's CD sets.


The Dead Alewives, and it's on Demento's 30th Anniversary set.

Someone also did a pretty bang on 8-bit version on YouTube:
 
That may have been true way back, but these days we have gamer girls.


Gamer girls? What are these "gamer girls" you speak of?

Seriously, my local gamer community is pretty much a sausage-fest. I'd kill to find a single (not to mention good looking) female who was into gaming. No such luck.

Of course, I'd probably need a +3 battle ax to fight off the other single male gamers...

...better make that a +5 battle ax.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom