Beth
Philosopher
- Joined
- Dec 6, 2004
- Messages
- 5,598
I understand you feel you have answered the question, but unfortunately, you have still failed to communicate to me the nuance of your meaning that will allow me to understand your approach. How do you decide what is reasonable to take people’s word for and what is not? If you like, I can then go back a level and ask you how you decide what is serious and what is not.I've answered the question.
Twice.
Again:
It is simple.
If it is serious it requires evidential rigour.
If it is not serious it does not.
I think it’s both. Think of it like “Schnindler’s List”. I think that there is no verifiable objective evidence for the existence of any sort of god by any definition of the term I’m acquainted with. So the question is, can we rely on the testimony of others and our own personal experiences? In fact, we can and we do rely on that for all sort of other unverifiable questions. Atheists here keep insisting that believers treat the evidence for their particular belief differently than the evidence for other things. I don't agree with that, my observation is that most (not all) atheists and theists both will treat the evidence available the same as they do for other questions. They just set up the default assumption differently.So:
Is the question of "god" serious or is it entertainment?
Atheists set up the non-existance of god as the default assumption, known as the null hypothesis, that is a subjective choice you are making. You set up the null based on what is important to you and what you are trying to learn. The consequence of your choice is you cannot affirm the null. You can only disprove it. By any decent scientific standard, that null of 'no god exists' has never been shown false and for that reason I don’t have any problems with the atheist argument. It’s quite sound.
The only thing is, it’s also quite reasonable to set up the default as ‘god exists’. Particularly if the believer is willing, like epeos has mentioned, to let go of any specific religious beliefs that conflict with known empirical scientific results. By any decent scientific standard, the general null assumption of some greater entity that created our universe has never been disproven either.
I will grant that literal interpretations of all the worlds religions can be proven false and contradictory. I agree that many religious believers accept the literal interpretations without thought. However the more general common thread of a greater supernatural unity has not been shown false.
So, the question of the existance of god falls into the unproveable space. What's somewhat odd to me, as someone who spends a lot of time developing and testing null hypothesis, is that in a scientific application, the null is set up as the hypothesis you wish to reject and the alternative is what you are trying to establish.
Why must a stimulus be made of matter? Do you not find ideas stimulating? You can certainly react physically to them? Think of someone who receives news that a loved one has died? The physical medium of presentation of the information does not matter. Words on a screen. Sounds on a telephone. Someone making them sit down and telling them they have bad news for them. Good news can have a similar physical response. You cannot predict, without knowing both content and context of information, what that response will be. How do we examine the effect of ideas on ourselves? I am not claiming to know the answers to these questions. Better minds than mine have given it great thought and not been able to come to consensus. It’s a very interesting question to me, so I like to hear how other people think of it.I beg to differ. A material object containing the representation of mathematical symbols is helpful, but not necessary.
It is entirely necessary is you want to claim "mathematics" is a stimulus.
If all goes well, I’ll be receiving my Ph.D. in it before this year is over. I work full-time as a professional statistician at a research institute affliated with my university. What's your background in mathematics?And your mathematical background is...? Because I don't think you understood what I told you.
Well, that’s an interesting way to put it. I could, of course, argue that what is sitting under the rock is nothing – i.e. zero. But that would be whimsical of me and we’ve already established you don’t care for my style of whimsy. So forget what I just typed and perhaps other readers will be amused.Zero is a useful concept. As such its independent invention is assured if it is useful to someone to use it.
And of course, you ignore the fact that "zero" was not a concept that was missing one day and there the next but the result of an evolution of ideas - just like other areas of mathematics have developed such as the concept of negative numbers, complex numbers and so forth.
So you seriously want me to entertain the idea that zero is, essentially, sitting under a rock?
?
Zero is, indeed, a very useful concept. Does the concept of zero exist independent of human brains to think of it? If all human beings died off, would the concept of zero die off with us? Or would it still exist, hanging around under abstract metaphorical rocks waiting for some other intelligent species somewhere to discover it?
I'm clipping a bunch of stuff in the middle here. Let me just say thank you for answering my questions.
So, as ever, we come back to the basic thrust here.
You are arguing from a position of ignorance for the validity of the concept that some X, which cannot be known, is an existent with impact on our reality.
You appear to be being serious about it. Therefore, as I expressed at the beginning of this post:
I WANT SOME ****ING EVIDENCE.
I'm sorry, I seem to have given you the wrong impression. I am not arguing that some X, which cannot be known, is an existent with impact on our reality. I’m arguing that it is just as reasonable for people to assume that such an X exists as it is to assume that it doesn’t. I don’t claim to have any evidence for unknowable proposition such as the existence of god or free will or the independent reality of abstract ideas such as mathematics. I not only don't know the answers to any of the questions, I think they are unprovable propositions in our material reality. I'm trying to understand why you feel so certain of the conclusions that you have made. You make a default assumption, fail to disprove your null hypothesis and conclude it must be correct. Why do you feel so strongly that it is the only reasonable conclusion?
Last edited: