I don't mean to be dense, but I still don't see where RJ Lee Group Inc. reports ~5% iron microspheres. Maybe I need my hand held?
Check the dates. The one Jones sites is 2003.
Not that this matters for our discussion.
Nope
Sizzler, for the hundredth time, iron microspheres do not necessarily imply temperatures of > 1500 oC.
Is it a hundred already?
Sulfur-laden chemical fires, e.g. diesel fuel and gasoline fires, can catalyze this at much lower temperatures.
I am aware of this, but the likelihood of elemental sulfur being available during the pre-collapse fires is low considering SO2 needs to go through a reduction reaction. Also, the diesel fuel would have played into the matter during the rubble pile fires (not the office fires), long after the dust was distributed around NY.
Steel degrades at its surface at much lower temperatures even in the absence of sulfur.
Sure, but would such degradation cause spheres?
Mechanical sources for local heating exist, both before impact, during impact, and during collapse. If there were temperatures as high as you propose over any appreciable area, rather than tiny localized spots as governed by local chemistry and mechanics, there would be melted steel slag remaining.
Well, I'm not suggesting such temperatures were reached over any appreciable area. That is my point. It is rather unlikely that the fire's radiant temperature was above 1100C.
If we consider the dust samples had anywhere from .5%to5% iron content, I think this rules out a few tiny localized hot spots as the source of heat. Remember the fires only burnt just a few floors, whereas the dust was emitted from all floors and of that dust emitted, .5 to over 5% of it was iron.
I do wish Jones included iron content percentages for his dust samples in his paper.
This slag would cool and remain unmelted after the Pile fires and salvage operations, and therefore would be found. They were not.
Unless it was emitted from the building along with the dust in such a manner that suface tension caused microspheres to form.