Despite the title, this is open to anyone. It's really a thread meant for amusing discussion perhaps touched with real education as opposed to being an academic thread with only a touch of fun.
I've no idea if this article concerning Australia's dilemma over the purchase of new fighters is true, but it got me idly speculating for no real purpose.
The Soviets/Russians have traditionally fielded excellent fighters.
This video of a Mig-29 Fulcrum (erroneously spelled "Fullcrum" on the site) shhows some impressive maneuvering.
This video is said to be an Su-30Mk (really the export version of the Su-27 Flanker) but I suspect it is the Su-37 Super Flanker (Terminator?). In any case, it is a breath-taking display of maneuverability, at least to this non-pilot.
But is it more capable than the F/A-22 Raptor, (don't laugh at the pilot's claim that the Raptor is "twice as better" as other fighters; he's just a zoomie, after all). Here's another Raptor video. And still one more. In the last one, notice the take-off at about one minute in. For the aviators out there, is the occasional smoke during turns a real effect caused by, say, air turbulence? Or is it something they do for airshows only by intentionally releasing fuel or water or whatever?
Finally, there is the Joint Strike Fighter. I couldn't find as much showing maneuverability, but the hovering action is pretty cool.
The general question is this: Is the Su-30/37 more maneuverable than the others? Whether it is or not, which would you prefer to fly in combat and why?
As a non-pilot, I'd have to think hard about choosing the one which appears better in a dogfight but would likely fall to something with a greater stand-off.
If budgets matter, then reconsidering may be in order. The Su's run about $35 million each. The Raptor is $120 million. I don't know about the JSF.
I've no idea if this article concerning Australia's dilemma over the purchase of new fighters is true, but it got me idly speculating for no real purpose.
The Soviets/Russians have traditionally fielded excellent fighters.
This video of a Mig-29 Fulcrum (erroneously spelled "Fullcrum" on the site) shhows some impressive maneuvering.
This video is said to be an Su-30Mk (really the export version of the Su-27 Flanker) but I suspect it is the Su-37 Super Flanker (Terminator?). In any case, it is a breath-taking display of maneuverability, at least to this non-pilot.
But is it more capable than the F/A-22 Raptor, (don't laugh at the pilot's claim that the Raptor is "twice as better" as other fighters; he's just a zoomie, after all). Here's another Raptor video. And still one more. In the last one, notice the take-off at about one minute in. For the aviators out there, is the occasional smoke during turns a real effect caused by, say, air turbulence? Or is it something they do for airshows only by intentionally releasing fuel or water or whatever?
Finally, there is the Joint Strike Fighter. I couldn't find as much showing maneuverability, but the hovering action is pretty cool.
The general question is this: Is the Su-30/37 more maneuverable than the others? Whether it is or not, which would you prefer to fly in combat and why?
As a non-pilot, I'd have to think hard about choosing the one which appears better in a dogfight but would likely fall to something with a greater stand-off.
If budgets matter, then reconsidering may be in order. The Su's run about $35 million each. The Raptor is $120 million. I don't know about the JSF.
