All indications say they're not. That's why science developed in the first place: it works.
Anything else is just moaning about the inequities of life.
Not at all. Personal experiences and reports of personal experiences are used constantly by you, me and everyone else. We all rely on our senses to accurately convey information about the world we live in, even though we realize that such data may be mistaken or misinterpreted (particularly other people's reports). We simply don't have scientific caliber evidence for most of the conclusions we reach in normal life.
Similar brains = similar experiences.
Just because people come up with god ideas independently doesn't mean there's some actual god at work.
Correct. Similarities across different cultures
may indicate that there may be some underlying common stimulus that has evoked the experiences that people report but by no means establish it as fact.
Just like just because people came up with the concept of "zero" independently doesn't mean there's some great null muse out there whipsering it in people's ears.
My recollection, though I may be mistaken as it's been a while since I read about the history of mathematics, is that the concept of zero was only developed independently once. As far as a muse whispering it in someone's ear, I'm unaware of any such claim having been made for that particular concept.
The claim such similarity has anything supernatural to it.
Okay. My point was only that the similarity does provide some support to the claim. It certainly doesn't prove it, so I feel it's reasonable to accept or reject it. I simply feel that both conclusions are based on insufficient evidence to feel confident in either one.
Creation is generally a remix of what went before. Chopping and changing/
Creativity is not at all well-understood. Certainly chopping and changing is part of it. Seeing connections and similarities between ideas previously considered unrelated is also part of it.
In this instance supernatural is referring to a posited world beyond the natural which is influencing it in nigh indetectable ways.
Okay. That's a reasonable definition. I see that string theory would qualify as supernatural with this definition, something I happen to agree with. I think of supernatural as that which lies beyond or outside of our 4-dimensional space-time continuum, which also makes string theory supernatural.
It is unproductive because it is not producing any new knowledge.
Hmmm - you do realize that modern science is an outcropping of religion don't you? And you are also excluding new knowledge produced by an individual about that individual (a reasonable delineation, btw).
However, apart from that, that isn't how I define unproductive. I think of unproductive as not producing anything of value. Since there are things other than new knowledge that have value, I would have disagreed with your original statement but when you define productive as narrowly as you have above, I'll not quibble with the statement.
It's not "more" substance is it though? It's "more" "function".
Correct. The 'more' that separates a house from a pile of bricks and cement is not a tangible material substance, just as the 'more' that separates an individual from a pile of cells is not a tangible material substance. But that has been what we were discussing - intangible immaterial things.
So you propose a god signing himself into his creation then?
I have no idea what you mean by this, so no, I don't think I'm proposing that.