articulett
Banned
- Joined
- Jan 18, 2005
- Messages
- 15,404
Yes, but that places your "truth" on par with an opinion. I think everyone's belief system is "true for them"-- and I admire that you've discarded the dogma. But to an atheist, it all sounds like people proffering opinions that have no bearing on reality. It's like "chocolate is the best flavor, because I like it best".
I understand this can be used to make people feel good and alleviate fears... but the bottom line message is that people would rather believe something is true that is not true than to find out that they have been wrong. For some beliefs, this is clearly dangerous. They don't want to find out they might be wrong any more than you do. They believe because of a combination of indoctrination, ego flattery, and fear along with a whopping dose of confirmation bias. I certainly prefer your brand to many others, but I also thinks it shows why atheists have a hard time finding any objective truths in any of it.
To us, there is no reason to believe your personal truth over any other personal truths and that is the only kind of evidence there is regarding supposed divine truths. Yet, it's atheists that are considered the arrogant ones.
I understand this can be used to make people feel good and alleviate fears... but the bottom line message is that people would rather believe something is true that is not true than to find out that they have been wrong. For some beliefs, this is clearly dangerous. They don't want to find out they might be wrong any more than you do. They believe because of a combination of indoctrination, ego flattery, and fear along with a whopping dose of confirmation bias. I certainly prefer your brand to many others, but I also thinks it shows why atheists have a hard time finding any objective truths in any of it.
To us, there is no reason to believe your personal truth over any other personal truths and that is the only kind of evidence there is regarding supposed divine truths. Yet, it's atheists that are considered the arrogant ones.