epeos76
Critical Thinker
- Joined
- Jan 31, 2007
- Messages
- 314
Getting a tad condescending there, fella. Where did I dismiss the importance of it? I dismissed your assumption I was practicing nursing in the 50s. If I were old enough in the 50s to be practicing nursing I'd have to be between 70 and 80 years old now, unlikely to be currently practicing.
This, at least, was not intended to be condescending. It was intended to be clear. I admit I have no idea how long formula was presumed to be the better option. I do know that various new moms have told me about being harrangued by women in their 50's and 60's who, in their time, were told that bottle feeding was the only responsible choice.
You are missing the entire question I asked you. I asked you how would filling in the gaps with god beliefs change the outcome of an unsound medical practice based on bad evidence gathering and/or bad logic analyzing the evidence?
My god beliefs have very little bearing on physical health. I brought up this point for the very limited purpose of showing that: (1) we have to make decisions, even when the evidence isn't all in, and (2) guessing that principles we understand apply in areas that appear similar is not a good way to make these decisions. In particular, it is not as good as relying on established human practices.
It's interesting to note that some eastern religions have more to say on things like diet, breathing, and careful exercise. Practioners of Jainism for example can point to several generations of observational experience to support the results of their dietary requirements. I think that as a result, they are less likely to be buffaloed by misapplied developments in the area of nutrition.
skeptigirl; 3347778b said:Now you are getting away from science and into the morals arguments. The evidence is very clear, one does not need god beliefs to determine moral decisions. Atheists are just as moral and immoral as are theists.
I think my god beliefs are specifically relevant to social, psychological, and therefore moral questions. Given that there is no agreement about what constitutes morality, I don't think the evidence is clear.
Your statement ignores the on-going challenge to define or possibly invent moral behavior. That's the realm where I claim god beliefs help most. Mine provides something like model for what a human being is and how people should be treated. I say "something like a model" because it isn't something that I can spell out analytically. It arises from the whole mishmash of beliefs, practices, and relationships.
Just to be as clear as possible, I think the evidence you cite is related to something like how well people live up to the investigator's moral ideals. I have no doubt that a fair share of the variation is explained by non-theist factors.
For example, whether someone has the skills and resources to meet basic needs without cheating might be signficant. How much thought someone has given the matter might also be relevant. I would guess that atheists actually score slightly higher than average in some of these areas.
If there was any significant variation between specific groups of believers, it might reflect on how well the investigator's moral ideals fit with the actual constraints on human existance. Christianity is certainly critized for failing in this area. My second objection to your claim, however, is that not all theisms are equivalent. To be useful, measurements would have to at least take into account the self-delineated differences between groups.
In the example you are using here, marriage decisions, I'd have to say the dogmatic approach, God said this or that, gay marriage is a sin. yadda yadda, actually inhibits an evaluation of all the aspects of the matter and proclaims society should never change. But we know from history, such an approach is entirely futile. Societies do change. Trying to apply ancient rules to modern people is not the best approach. It is in fact, an ignorant approach that only leads to strife.
I consider this a strawman. I'm not interested in dogma. I'll consider any evidence that suggests an answer, and I expect change. In fact, liberal christianity has a tradition allowing people to publicly recant and admit their earlier position was a product of wordly striving.
My position is that god beliefs provide a way of responding to change. I can see the results of several generations of people weeding the substance from the form by applying the priorities that follow from these god beliefs. I think you are ignoring the value that accumulates by running human lives through a set of beliefs and evaluating the results. I also think you are mistaken in imagining how at least one group of theists would go about answering the questions I asked.
Regarding gay marriage: you don't need religion to do dogma or homophobia (see China under Mao). More to the point, my church and its members were among those leading the fight to oppose Wisconsin's marriage amendment. We lost, badly.
Most of the money sponsoring the amendment came from the religious right, but the voting demographics show that the amendment was passed basically on class lines. I think the radio divas and religious celebs on the right have been using this issue to get buy in, not the other way around.
Last edited: