• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged The challenge is coming to an end.

A Very Bad Idea

I am dismayed that Randi has decided that the Million Dollar Challenge will end.

How can the spending of one million dollars on cold uncomfortable reason counteract the spending of hundreds of millions on the lure of the cuddly warm imaginary?

It can't.

To those of us who demand that the half-baked of the world put up or shut up, or who think that - as my Rule 8 violating original sig says - money talks and BS walks, the value of that million in the bank waiting for a claimant is many many fold greater than if it were simply spent on educational programs.

Trying to compete financially with the Brownes, the Edwards, the Gellers - that is a losing proposition.
 
I was under the impression that the million was accrued over time, with lots of people donating money? I believe the figure was nowhere near a million when the Challenge was first advertised.

Also, wasn't the original plan for the Challenge to last ten years beyond Randi's death, or something? If so, ending it in 2010 is a substantial change of plan.
 
If I recall correctly, the original challenge was for $1000 or so, put up by Randi himself. Later this was upped to $10,000. Then, supporters of JREF signed pledges to donate the money if and when the challenge was won.

This of course meant that "the prize money doesn't exist" was more or less a valid complaint. Then an anonymous donor donated the actual $1,000,000 prize, and there things stood until now.

I'd be willing to pledge, oh, $500 or so, to be donated as prize money IF and WHEN the prize is won, if Mr. Randi wishes to go that route again. I think the money would be safe....
 
I was under the impression that the million was accrued over time, with lots of people donating money? I believe the figure was nowhere near a million when the Challenge was first advertised.

Also, wasn't the original plan for the Challenge to last ten years beyond Randi's death, or something? If so, ending it in 2010 is a substantial change of plan.

Hrmn, perhaps Randi DID die in 2000, and in 2010 he'll claim his own prize for having successfully projected himself back from the spirit world. It would make for a nice closed loop.
 
Yeah there was an actual $1,000,000 donor, Randi has even said that; however, the donor wished to stay anonymous. I know that a popular rumor was always that the late Johnny Carson was the anonymous donor, but RemieV's comment that: "The donor is fully aware of the change and supports it." hints that the donor is actually alive. So i have no idea who the donor could actually be......

As for the decision to do away with the challenge, i am mixed. I think if the money is spent to pursue a more aggressive strategy to deal with the Sylvia's and Edwards, and more outreach for science and critical thinking it could be the best thing for the JREF and the skeptical community as a whole. It will still be nice though to have a million dollar challenge somewhere.....
 
I wonder how the Million will be put to more effective use. In terms of public outreach and especially education, a million dollars doesn't exactly go a long way these days.
 
I was under the impression that the million was accrued over time, with lots of people donating money? I believe the figure was nowhere near a million when the Challenge was first advertised.

I think at one time, people could pledge money toward it, but I don't know that they ever actually sent money in. (this is probably 10+ years ago)

Also, wasn't the original plan for the Challenge to last ten years beyond Randi's death, or something? If so, ending it in 2010 is a substantial change of plan.

So obviously, Randi died 8 years ago. :rolleyes:
 
I'm pleased to hear this. The MDC was a gimmick and paranormal challenges date back in various incarnations, I believe, more than a hundred years. So, it is most definitely time to move on. Either find another, better gimmick or use the money for tangible, measurable work. I applaud JREF for using its assets for (hopefully!) the purposes of actual education in critical thinking, and not just as a prop for what usually turns out to be a bit of a pantomime. The latest test was severely lacking in dignity and 100% useless as a PR tool or indeed any sort of leverage whatsoever. And the press don't care about the MDC generally, so time to find another way to make a point.
Or, skip making points into the ether and start making a difference that can be measured.

I agree, but still I'm a little disappointed. Like arth, it was nice being able to counter woos with, "If you can do that, there's a million bucks waiting for you".
 
Also, does this mean JREF will be concentrating even harder on "going after" Sylvia Browne, John Edward, etc.? That was the rationale for the "media presence" change to MDC, right?
 
A million dollars isn't enough incentive for Sylvia Browne, John Edward or James Van Praagh to risk losing their bread and butter. I have a feeling they all bring in that much every year. That's probably why only small-time nutters applied.

I can think of ways that this could be a good thing for skeptics.
 
I agree, but still I'm a little disappointed. Like arth, it was nice being able to counter woos with, "If you can do that, there's a million bucks waiting for you".

Yes, it was a useful comeback for dealing with woo. However, we should ask two questions:

1) Is that usefulness worth one million dollars? (now we know JREF is allowed to spend the money, then that's what they are sacrificing in order to have the challenge).

2) Is "If you can do that, there's a million bucks waiting for you" the best or only argument we have? No, although it is a handy shortcut for a lot of things. But given that almost no-one applied for the challenge anyway (as a proportion of the number of woos who have had that comment made to them), then I don't think it's a huge sacrifice to have to come up with some other arguments. This would be made much easier if the JREF spent some of the money on educational materials that anyone can use.
 
Last edited:
I think the MDC is a wonderful tool for countering claims from people who either claim paranormal powers or who supposedly know someone who has paranormal powers. It makes most people think, "Yeah, if there is a million dollars waiting for them to do what they claim they can do and they don't go for it, something is wrong."

My students often have anecdotes about a family member who can do something in the paranormal realm. Before the recent rule change, I would say to them: "If they can do what they claim, they can be a millionaire by taking a simple test." The kids go home and have a valuble discussion with 'Uncle Jack' the dowser, psychic, medium, etc.

This news is not good. I'm not sure that 'gimmick' is the right word but if it is, it is a great gimmick to make people think.
 
Why I don't like the change:

1. Change is bad!

2. "Randi had a million dollar challenge but he had to get rid of it because he was scared" - Mr. Phony Psychic

3. "Million Dollar Challenge" raises eyebrows. Gets notice. I feel it's like a company selling it's most valuable trademark or doing away with it altogether.

4. Set JREF apart from other skeptical organizations.

5. It's not like the money was wasting away. It was generating real income.

6. It's possibly the main reason Randi got on TV. It was almost always mentioned in his introductions in interviews.

Why I'll live with the change:

1. JREF needs the money and the donor is OK with the change.

2. Perhaps the challenge has served its purpose. Because of it news organizations knew Randi was the guy to call to counter woo (if only they called him more often) and I doubt they'll stop calling because of this change.

3. It's been 10 years. How long should it go on for 15? 20? Until Randi dies (not to sound morbid)?

But when the day comes when Randi isn't around and there's no challenge I just don't see JREF sticking around too long.
 
All good things come to an end I guess.

I must say that I’m not happy with this decision. In my opinion, the JREF is the MDC and the MDC is the JREF. Without the MDC, the JREF will probably be even less well known and less effective. Let’s face it – what else do they do? Even the going after big name cons hasn’t materialized.

I hope I’m wrong and they do something “In Your Face, Woo!” with the cash and not just maintain a dusty library in Florida.

*queue setting sun* :(
 
That's good that it wasn't done against the donor's wishes, but I still don't like it.

Will the money be put into investments with higher returns, or is it all going to be spent on various projects? What will be happen to the JREF if the money is all going to be spent? Is this part of a plan to eventually end the JREF upon Randi's retirement?
Relax, I am sure the Atheist will (maybe already has) come up with everything wrong with this and JREF in general and will enlighten the peasants in His Chosen Time.:D:D:D
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom