• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is U.S. education truly getting worse?

Well, I guess that answers my question on whether he took calculus in high school or college: neither. He has never taken calculus.

Yeah, that's right. I was facing a real problem with a half-doze of those 5th graders, too. I'd never passed (not really) an algebra class...so of course I'd never had geometry or calculus.

You know, I'm not really as obtuse as I am playing here. I realize that you--and several others--believe that you are pointing and laughing at me because I must be "stoopid" since I never had these classes.

I wonder if, however, you realize how stupid (to say nothing of petty) you yourselves appear by doing this, and quite nicely pointing up that just exactly what I am saying about the public screwels is correct, and that I am living proof of it?

Do you have any clue at all that that's what you are doing, or are you so intent on this petty campaign to say "look how stoopid thet thar Tokie feller is!! He ain't never even TOOK a calculus class!! Har, har, haw!" that you can't see that?

Tokie
 
I don't generally don't report posts.

I'm also smart enough to not take some random person's word on something. Do you expect that we'll automatically agree with everything you claim without any kind of corroborating evidence? Wouldn't that be... stupid?

Also, I didn't take Calculus this quarter. Thanks for playing.

You're smart, perhaps you can tell me what this says?

That's a difference 'twixt thee and me.. I never engage in "reporting." Otherise I'd report all those in here calling me "stoopid!!"

Like you.

Just because I cannot (and I won't anyway...EVER look at a link like that one!) tell you what something says (I am presuming it's some calculous...thingy?) it means...what, exactly, in your mind?

And I really don't care if you agree with me or not. Typically, in such discussions, there are couple or three kinds of people: those who know that what I am saying is accurate, those who are themselves "educators" or apologists for same (typically children or spouses of "educators") and those who are parents with kids in the public screwels who are desperate to convince themselves that this HAS to be inaccurate, because of what that would mean they are doing to their own kids.

Each of these is as emotional and vehement (sometimes to the point of threats, always to the point of petty, small-minded insult--"you ain't never took calculus, you dummy!?") as the next and for good reason: the "educators" know full well that they themselves are, by and large (there are exceptions, and this self-selecting site probably attracts its share of those) incompetent at both their subject AND in teaching, the spouses/children of same are simply protective--forgivable, but not very rational--and the parents are, as I said, desperate. Agian, forgivable--I've done the same rationalizations myself when my kids have been in the public system--but just as irrational.

Tokie
 
My understanding was that one of the big problems in education is that the books are too tough for the grade levels they are assigned to. If a child is barely keeping up in 3rd grade, and then their 4th grade text is really meant for 5th graders, that book will be almost 2 years ahead of what they can reasonably handle. If they pass 4th grade, and get stuck with a 6th or 7th grade book in 5th grade, they'll never catch up. Parents will blame the teachers, teachers will blame the parents, everyone will blame the student, and no one notices that the book is written in a way that literally cannot be understood by an average 8 year old.
 
My understanding was that one of the big problems in education is that the books are too tough for the grade levels they are assigned to. If a child is barely keeping up in 3rd grade, and then their 4th grade text is really meant for 5th graders, that book will be almost 2 years ahead of what they can reasonably handle. If they pass 4th grade, and get stuck with a 6th or 7th grade book in 5th grade, they'll never catch up. Parents will blame the teachers, teachers will blame the parents, everyone will blame the student, and no one notices that the book is written in a way that literally cannot be understood by an average 8 year old.

I'm no expert. I can only rely on stuff I've experienced, read, etc.

My kids have found even their high school AP texts to be moronic. Me too.

According to the kid who is a math whiz, her math text is "stupid." My brother who has a math degree, agrees.

The math text at least gets the job done.

I can't imagine where you heard that the texts are "too tough" for the grade level, although this may speak to the larger problem of the purposeful dumbing down of our kids by the public schools: it's working so well that the textbook writers can't keep up with the downward trend.

My daughters have nothing but contempt for their textbooks which they say teach them nothing they don't already know, are poorly composed (English...they sit around laughing at the mistakes they find) and in their words talk to them like they are "idiots."

You are making a classic error in logic here, called the post hoc, ergo propter hoc (after this, [therefore] because of this) or "false cause" assertion. The kids are being dumbed down, that much we know (tho many in here will vehemently deny it, refuse to accept any proof outside the narrow confines of the edu. industry, which says this is not happening). So you are looking at it backward: they can't read/understand the text for their grade because they have not been educated to that level. It's not because the book is too advanced, it's because their education is being purposefully retarded.

Tokie
 
And I really don't care if you agree with me or not. Typically, in such discussions, there are couple or three kinds of people: those who know that what I am saying is accurate, those who are themselves "educators" or apologists for same (typically children or spouses of "educators") and those who are parents with kids in the public screwels who are desperate to convince themselves that this HAS to be inaccurate, because of what that would mean they are doing to their own kids.

Tokie

So, basically, of the three "categories" of people, the group that is "right" is the one who "knows" what you say is "accurate." In regard to "know", would that be in the biblical sense of faith? You make many proclamations, but you offer no support - just opinion. So, in essence, your contention is that an intelligent person should simply take your side, believe your opinions and condemn the entire educational system as an absolute failure - with no real factual proof. By the way, your use of the word "screwel" would lead me to believe that most of your information may be obtained by listening to the Rush Limbaugh show - as that is the one place I have heard the term repeatedly used.

All of that said, I don't necessarily disagree with the entire premise. Our education system has plenty of problems, but it is far more complex than lazy, undereducated teachers purposely "dumbing down" the youth of America, letting them run wild, handing out "A's" to everyone - all the while just sitting back and waiting for that "Big", fat pension to start rolling in.

Are there bad teachers? You bet. I would never say there are not. But, the problem starts a lot farther up the food chain and gets help from so many other areas. Ultimately, politicians are "in charge" of education. From the national spotlight, to the state level, to local school boards - there are several critical tiers of decision making that are not always conducted by educational experts. When you put a noneducator in charge of education, is it really surprising that the end result is something less than perfection? When the state of Texas dismisses an educational leader because of his "promotion of evolution," that says a lot about our educational system. Our national values are a sad representation of our value in regard to education - as mentioned earlier, sports "success" is a far greater prize than educational success. The social culture our kids grow up in is sad and pathetic - as displayed by the popularity of "reality" shows on MTV, VH1, E, etc. There may well be "grade inflation" in schools, but there is the same thing going on in the american home - kids being rewarded for doing less and less. As a Biology teacher, I have been allowed to spend a TOTAL of about $500-1000 over the past 5 years (not per year, total) for classroom supplies. The demand for "better accountability" (something I am fine with) has also led to an environment in schools that values "learning" stuff, rather than improving skills.

Another issue, which others have mentioned at various points, is the overall purpose and measure of our educational system. It is irrelavent to compare our educational system with the educational systems of other countries when they are not set up with the same goal in mind. Our system gaurantees the exact same education to all citizens ( and noncitizens for that matter.) On a student for student basis, we spend a disproportionate amount of time, money and resources attempting to educate the 10-20% of the population with the lowest level of ability and the lowest chance of success. Which other country does that? Every core subject in our HS has specific sections of classes that are "Team Taught", with a resource teacher and regular content teacher, for students who are low achieving. Where are the classes with two teachers trying to provide more opporunity for the high achieving? I am not saying this is right or wrong, just saying that it is a regulation that our schools are FORCED to follow. It is not my decision as a teacher. The goal of American Education is to provide services to EVERYONE, and the more unlikely it is you will succeed, the more services you will be provided with. Not saying it is good or bad - just saying that is where we are at. So, if we are going to compare ourselves accurately, we should do so in the context of other systems trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ultimately, a sad truth is that a very large portion of our society does not adequately value education. As long as NASCAR, Cage Fighting, Poker, Reality TV, Hollywood, Psychics, Alternative Medicines, etc. etc. etc. are the things that are of greatest priority to our nation, it should be little surprise that our educational system struggles. If anything, it is probably somewhat amazing it works as well as it does.
 
Last edited:
So, basically, of the three "categories" of people, the group that is "right" is the one who "knows" what you say is "accurate." In regard to "know", would that be in the biblical sense of faith? You make many proclamations, but you offer no support - just opinion. So, in essence, your contention is that an intelligent person should simply take your side, believe your opinions and condemn the entire educational system as an absolute failure - with no real factual proof. By the way, your use of the word "screwel" would lead me to believe that most of your information may be obtained by listening to the Rush Limbaugh show - as that is the one place I have heard the term repeatedly used.

All of that said, I don't necessarily disagree with the entire premise. Our education system has plenty of problems, but it is far more complex than lazy, undereducated teachers purposely "dumbing down" the youth of America, letting them run wild, handing out "A's" to everyone - all the while just sitting back and waiting for that "Big", fat pension to start rolling in.

Are there bad teachers? You bet. I would never say there are not. But, the problem starts a lot farther up the food chain and gets help from so many other areas. Ultimately, politicians are "in charge" of education. From the national spotlight, to the state level, to local school boards - there are several critical tiers of decision making that are not always conducted by educational experts. When you put a noneducator in charge of education, is it really surprising that the end result is something less than perfection? When the state of Texas dismisses an educational leader because of his "promotion of evolution," that says a lot about our educational system. Our national values are a sad representation of our value in regard to education - as mentioned earlier, sports "success" is a far greater prize than educational success. The social culture our kids grow up in is sad and pathetic - as displayed by the popularity of "reality" shows on MTV, VH1, E, etc. There may well be "grade inflation" in schools, but there is the same thing going on in the american home - kids being rewarded for doing less and less. As a Biology teacher, I have been allowed to spend a TOTAL of about $500-1000 over the past 5 years (not per year, total) for classroom supplies. The demand for "better accountability" (something I am fine with) has also led to an environment in schools that values "learning" stuff, rather than improving skills.

Another issue, which others have mentioned at various points, is the overall purpose and measure of our educational system. It is irrelavent to compare our educational system with the educational systems of other countries when they are not set up with the same goal in mind. Our system gaurantees the exact same education to all citizens ( and noncitizens for that matter.) On a student for student basis, we spend a disproportionate amount of time, money and resources attempting to educate the 10-20% of the population with the lowest level of ability and the lowest chance of success. Which other country does that? Every core subject in our HS has specific sections of classes that are "Team Taught", with a resource teacher and regular content teacher, for students who are low achieving. Where are the classes with two teachers trying to provide more opporunity for the high achieving? I am not saying this is right or wrong, just saying that it is a regulation that our schools are FORCED to follow. It is not my decision as a teacher. The goal of American Education is to provide services to EVERYONE, and the more unlikely it is you will succeed, the more services you will be provided with. Not saying it is good or bad - just saying that is where we are at. So, if we are going to compare ourselves accurately, we should do so in the context of other systems trying to accomplish the same thing.

Ultimately, a sad truth is that a very large portion of our society does not adequately value education. As long as NASCAR, Cage Fighting, Poker, Reality TV, Hollywood, Psychics, Alternative Medicines, etc. etc. etc. are the things that are of greatest priority to our nation, it should be little surprise that our educational system struggles. If anything, it is probably somewhat amazing it works as well as it does.

Some good points. Too bad you had to fall into the educationalist cant of blaming it all on them dumby redneckers and their NASCAR in the end, but let's give 'er a look-see.

You are free to believe what you will. I listen to Limbaugh occasionally, and admit to heisting "screwel" from him. To you, that means I am a "dittohead" who every day, gets his every thought from Limbaugh...as I said, you are free to believe what ever erroneous thing you wish to. By the way, this blankent condemnation of Limbaugh as a source for data...can you name something he's said that he was wrong about?

No, I do not expect you to take my word for it that the screwels are um, screweled because I say so. Go find out for yourself. The insistence that I provide some source from within the schools agreeing that they suck, is pretty stupid.

Indeed, the problems with the screwels are more complex than that, and more complex than your belief that it's stoopid, ig'nant, racist, rednecks who spend all their time watching NASCAR...too.

However, were I to look at the two parties: educated professionals who claim that they know how to educate kids, compared to stoopid, ig'nant, racist rednecks who watch NASCAR, I'd at least HOPE that the former is better equipped to educate kids than the latter.

Turns out ... not so much, by the evidence.

In fact, it also turns out that the majority of teachers in the US come from the bottom quintile of all graduating college students. What does this mean? Well, I don't have any NEA-santioned studies to back it up, but what any reasonably intelligent person can derive from that news is that those who can go into other fields do so, and those who cannot say "well, I can always teach!"

And that's just what they do.

There has been, since the time of Dewey and his crowd in the 30s, a desire by socialists and communist to use the schools to inculcate young Americans in soclialism. That was put on ice in WWII and the early Cold War years until the mid 60s when socialists began filling the higher-level positions in state and federal education agencies and in the education colleges. Today, in many if not most teacher colleges, you have to pass a board exam that essentially identifies whether you think-left good enough to be a teacher. Again, you can believe this or not...it just is what it is, and even in those colleges where they don't have such a board, profs and administrators work hard to weed out anyone who doesn't toe the leftist line.

So while every teacher is not a bomb-throwing lefty, most lean left, and the majority HARD left. Of course you will now scream "how do you teach leftist calculus!!?? Huh!!??? HUUUUHHHH!!!!?" I expect that level of shrill, rearguard stupidity, so it's okay. You know that virtually across the board in every discipline BUT math, and yes, that includes the sciences, leftisim is taught as a matter of course.

And then you say: we cannot compare our schools to anything else! Well, that's handy. Yeah, why should we compare the product of our schools to that of other nations, the product of which our product has been competing for the past 20 years? We compare ourselves in every other way to other countries, but in this way, sure...we shouldn't.

That only makes sense. Next you'll admit that no, we shouldn't compare US child mortality rates to other countries, or poverty rates, or obesity rates, or...well, any of those favorites of the left that they (you) so love to point at and say "see how tuuuurrrriiibbbllle is America in comparison!?"

And as a union teacher of course you despise any sort of accountability. You think this beneath you. Besides, it's not your fault students don't learn anything in your class. It's the administration's, TVs, music, the kids, the parents...anyone, really...save you. Anyone in the private sector (outside other union jobs) who were to tell their boss, "I should not be held accountable for the results of my work!" would be instantly permitted to market their valuable skills elsewhere.

Not so in the schools, for some reason. There, in fact, the worse a teacher you are, the more you are protected. And then there's the "money issue." If you don't like the reasonably good pay and exorbitant bennies that come with the job, then YOU are free to market your skills elsewhere. America enjoys a 96%employment rate right now. There are employers desperately seeking your unique and extensive skills as someone who has a 4 yr bio degree and an additional 2 years of "education theory"! Surely they are beating down your door, even as we key!

Look, I've always said there are some damned good teachers out there, and I agree that many if not most kids come to school today prepared NOT to learn and that the administration of schools is primarily there for self-serving purposes and they don't give a damn if kids learn or not.

Good teachers who really want to teach don't have an easy job, and your presence here and your words suggest you may be one of those rarest of teachers. The reality is, and denying this is something you will do--you feel you have to to be loyal--most teachers don't know their subject, can't teach, don't like kids anyway, and are in teaching because they can't do anything else.

If you've been a teacher longer than a year or so, you know this. You've seen the dance of lemons, and you deal with other teachers who are like this every day.

But you also belong to and support a union that protects such teachers come hell or high water. That's why where I live it costs $250k to get rid of teachers who are, everyone agrees (save the union) bad teachers. So nobody bothers, do they?

When an "education" system has become an employment system for a self-serving union and its members, it's no longer doing what it is supposed to do, and no number of links--LIIIIINNKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!--posted by me on an internet forum is going to chage that....and you know it as well as I.

Tokie
 
Then you are not very smart or well-informed.

perhaps, yet i i did take a few education classes in a former lifetime, so i at least have a general idea what i'm talking about.

You don't need to have taken ANY higher math to teach grade school math. I have a hard time believing anyone can be this ignorant.

who said you did? i also have trouble believing someone with such poor reading comprehension could have an english degree.

I'll just sit here now and wait for you to run to the mods and file your complaint.

hopefully you'll hold your breath waiting.

I both claim that AND say that, as a matter of fact. Are you a government employee? In the Department of Redundacy Dept.?

says the guy who responds twice to the same post. i'll snip the rest of your drivel, except to note that i learned all of that stuff long before fifth grade, taught by the regular teacher, and somehow no one complained about her nor did she get fired. and she was a terrible teacher, and i wasn't really any good at math.
 
Last edited:
Tokenconservative;3290326[QUOTE said:
]Some good points. Too bad you had to fall into the educationalist cant of blaming it all on them dumby redneckers and their NASCAR in the end, but let's give 'er a look-see.

No, that is not what I said. Sorry if the NASCAR sports reference offended you. How about NFL or MLB? Our society cares more about sports, spends more on it, encourages our youth to participate in it, and in general, rewards it to a greater degree than it does education. If you invest more in sport than education, is it a surprise that education suffers?

No, I do not expect you to take my word for it that the screwels are um, screweled because I say so. Go find out for yourself. The insistence that I provide some source from within the schools agreeing that they suck, is pretty stupid.

Uh . . .actually it is not pretty stupid. If you assert something, it is really up to you to support your argument - something that I (and other teachers in my school) teach HS students. Apparently this would be one example of how education has improved in the time since you attended HS.



In fact, it also turns out that the majority of teachers in the US come from the bottom quintile of all graduating college students. What does this mean? Well, I don't have any NEA-santioned studies to back it up,

How about just any source, even one that is nonNEA-sanctioned?

Today, in many if not most teacher colleges, you have to pass a board exam that essentially identifies whether you think-left good enough to be a teacher.

I must have missed this when I went to college. Even voted republican on many occassions. Hope no one finds out and they take my teaching license.


And then you say: we cannot compare our schools to anything else! Well, that's handy. Yeah, why should we compare the product of our schools to that of other nations, the product of which our product has been competing for the past 20 years? We compare ourselves in every other way to other countries, but in this way, sure...we shouldn't.

I am not saying we should not compare ourselves to anything else. Just that we need to compare apples to apples. How many countries put the greatest amount of money, time and resources into educating the 20% of students which are LEAST likely to succeed? We do. If we provided that group with no money, resources or time, (and quit testing them as well)and instead utilized those resources for the average to above average students, I think we would compete at a higher level. I am simply saying that we should measure ourselves against the goal we have set for our education system. (not that we are by any means perfect there either, but at least it would provide a more realistic assessment.)


And as a union teacher of course you despise any sort of accountability.

Actually, in my original post I said I am fine with being held accountable.

Besides, it's not your fault students don't learn anything in your class. It's the administration's, TVs, music, the kids, the parents...anyone, really...save you.

I would say the vast majority of students do learn in my class. And, as you are a big fan of "testing" their scores even prove it. I would also say that for many of the students who do not learn in my class, it is their own fault. There are a certain number of kids who simply don't put forth the effort - despite encouragement, punishment, threat or promise. As they say, you can lead a horse to water. . . .

If you don't like the reasonably good pay and exorbitant bennies that come with the job, then YOU are free to market your skills elsewhere. America enjoys a 96%employment rate right now. There are employers desperately seeking your unique and extensive skills as someone who has a 4 yr bio degree and an additional 2 years of "education theory"!

I never said I was underpaid. I know I could make more money elsewhere - I have every confidence in that. I make a good living as a teacher. Not great, not terrible. I did not choose to be a teacher because I could not do anything else - I chose to be a science teacher when I was a sophomore in HS because I enjoy science and I was good at it. The same can be said for all of those who talk about how great teachers have it. There is a shortage - if it takes so little ability, effort and skill, there are all kinds of openings. Just jump through the hoops and start down that road to "easy street."

Look, I've always said there are some damned good teachers out there, and I agree that many if not most kids come to school today prepared NOT to learn and that the administration of schools is primarily there for self-serving purposes and they don't give a damn if kids learn or not.

Good teachers who really want to teach don't have an easy job,

AGREED!


you feel you have to to be loyal--most teachers don't know their subject, can't teach, don't like kids anyway, and are in teaching because they can't do anything else.

In my experience (15 years) this simply is not true. I will be the first to agree that there are some BAD teachers - I have NO loyalty to them. But, in my exerience most do know their subject, most do far more than their job "requires" and most could certainly have chosen to do something else if they desired. If anything, I know FAR more individuals who started out as teachers and quit, to pursue something easier and more rewarding. Didn't you say you used to teach?? Now that I think of it, I cannot think of a SINGLE example of a person who quit another job to go be a teacher. Why do you think that is??

By the way, I despise the NEA as a self-serving, money making, politically minded entity that has little real interest in making things better for teachers. So, please don't lump that on me.
 
Last edited:
Back when I was in college, my leftist, commie, pinko, secular progressive, atheist, traitor, hippie drinking buddies and I used to ditch class to play our own unique version of co-ed soccer, with the unique handicapping feature that anyone who was actually good at soccer was required to play with a perpetually refilled cup of beer in one hand, and a rule that anyone, at anytime, could switch teams without warning. In that ignoble tradition, I will now declare that Tokie is actually correct about a lot of what he say's here (and I'm one of those apologists in the system that he keeps complaining about).

Most textbooks do, in fact, suck. My favorite little snippet of unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence in this regard is my fond memory of a 6th grade Social Studies book I was required to "learn" from which included such useful bits of wisdom as the "fact" that in Mexico one of the most popular dishes is guacamole, a type of sauce made from mashed up green caterpillars (yes, the book really did say that!).

Grade inflation is rife (Though I do have a hard time caring about this, since no grading system ever used en masse has ever successfully measured anything meaningful anyway).

The public schools are chock ful of incompetence, beaurocracy, and foul-smelling lunchmeat.

Kids today are all dumber than their counterparts were 40 years ago--except the ones who know more about how my computer works than I do, and can easily skirt any security measures we try to use to keep them from looking at internet porn.

And, OMG, Yes! The teacher's union is a cabal of self-serving beaurocrats intent on doing nothing other than protecting teachers' jobs and pay scales (I know this is what all labor unions are supposed to do for their members, but dammit these are teachers we're talking about! The very same people who tortured us with homework and books and other unimportant stuff when we were growing up--they just don't deserve the same treatment as normal people).

The U.S. education system is far, far below where it could be if even a decent percentage of voting Americans actually gave a damn. It's full of all sorts of problems, and it does a disservice to a great many of the children that are churned through it.

But the big picture is that none of this really matters. It's always been the case that most people get most of what they know about the world from outside of school. Schools are not places where we should be learning everything we need to know, they're places to warehouse our children (and hopefully turn some of them into something other than criminals) while we do other stuff. That, and they provide the Right with a handy dead horse to flog whenever things aren't going their way.

The upshot is that all the problems people like Tokie are on about really do exist, but it's just not the life-threatening catastrophe they make it out to be. By and large, schools do what we need them to do, and the kids learn stuff anyway. Believing otherwise is just falling into the same trap as those lefties who think Global Warming is gonna end the world sometime next month. If you don't fall for one group of nutjobs' wildly overhyped gloom-and-doom BS, then why tumble bass-ackwards right into the hands of another?
 
perhaps, yet i i did take a few education classes in a former lifetime, so i at least have a general idea what i'm talking about.

who said you did? i also have trouble believing someone with such poor reading comprehension could have an english degree.

hopefully you'll hold your breath waiting.

says the guy who responds twice to the same post. i'll snip the rest of your drivel, except to note that i learned all of that stuff long before fifth grade, taught by the regular teacher, and somehow no one complained about her nor did she get fired. and she was a terrible teacher, and i wasn't really any good at math.

Actually, one of the biggest problems with teachers (today, since again, about the mid-60s) is that they take Edu classes. So no, that doesn't qualify you for anything save an ability to parrot diversity drivel.

You and others said I did. That's who.

And I've never really been able to use my English degree for much. Instead, I make great big piles of money.

I always hold my breath waiting. I am all the way up to 15 seconds!

I don't believe I did...but then, if I did, it's okay...I work for me, and am not wasting the taxpayer's dollars. Are you?

You learned algebra, geometry and calc "long before" the 5th grade?

Wow.

That's pretty cool

Tokie
 
Actually, one of the biggest problems with teachers (today, since again, about the mid-60s) is that they take Edu classes. So no, that doesn't qualify you for anything save an ability to parrot diversity drivel.

didn't learn anything about diversity in them. try again.

You and others said I did. That's who.

i did not. the truth and you are not well acquanted, are they? if others said you did, respond to their posts and not mine.

And I've never really been able to use my English degree for much. Instead, I make great big piles of money.

uh-huh.

I always hold my breath waiting. I am all the way up to 15 seconds!

why'd you stop?

I don't believe I did...but then, if I did, it's okay...I work for me, and am not wasting the taxpayer's dollars. Are you?

not sure what you're on about here. i do not have a taxpayer funded job, however.

You learned algebra, geometry and calc "long before" the 5th grade?

that is not what i said. now, while it is pretty obvious that you don't read what others here write, now i have to wonder if you even read what you write.
 
Last edited:
Back when I was in college, my leftist, commie, pinko, secular progressive, atheist, traitor, hippie drinking buddies and I used to ditch class to play our own unique version of co-ed soccer, with the unique handicapping feature that anyone who was actually good at soccer was required to play with a perpetually refilled cup of beer in one hand, and a rule that anyone, at anytime, could switch teams without warning. In that ignoble tradition, I will now declare that Tokie is actually correct about a lot of what he say's here (and I'm one of those apologists in the system that he keeps complaining about).

Most textbooks do, in fact, suck. My favorite little snippet of unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence in this regard is my fond memory of a 6th grade Social Studies book I was required to "learn" from which included such useful bits of wisdom as the "fact" that in Mexico one of the most popular dishes is guacamole, a type of sauce made from mashed up green caterpillars (yes, the book really did say that!).

Grade inflation is rife (Though I do have a hard time caring about this, since no grading system ever used en masse has ever successfully measured anything meaningful anyway).

The public schools are chock ful of incompetence, beaurocracy, and foul-smelling lunchmeat.

Kids today are all dumber than their counterparts were 40 years ago--except the ones who know more about how my computer works than I do, and can easily skirt any security measures we try to use to keep them from looking at internet porn.

And, OMG, Yes! The teacher's union is a cabal of self-serving beaurocrats intent on doing nothing other than protecting teachers' jobs and pay scales (I know this is what all labor unions are supposed to do for their members, but dammit these are teachers we're talking about! The very same people who tortured us with homework and books and other unimportant stuff when we were growing up--they just don't deserve the same treatment as normal people).

The U.S. education system is far, far below where it could be if even a decent percentage of voting Americans actually gave a damn. It's full of all sorts of problems, and it does a disservice to a great many of the children that are churned through it.

But the big picture is that none of this really matters. It's always been the case that most people get most of what they know about the world from outside of school. Schools are not places where we should be learning everything we need to know, they're places to warehouse our children (and hopefully turn some of them into something other than criminals) while we do other stuff. That, and they provide the Right with a handy dead horse to flog whenever things aren't going their way.

The upshot is that all the problems people like Tokie are on about really do exist, but it's just not the life-threatening catastrophe they make it out to be. By and large, schools do what we need them to do, and the kids learn stuff anyway. Believing otherwise is just falling into the same trap as those lefties who think Global Warming is gonna end the world sometime next month. If you don't fall for one group of nutjobs' wildly overhyped gloom-and-doom BS, then why tumble bass-ackwards right into the hands of another?

There. And you din't even splll your beer! Purty good on New Year's Eve! Sounds like a typical college sport: stupid, senseless, and involving much beer.

By the way, it's not that kids are "dumber," it's that they are being kept ignorant and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator for several reasons, one being that it is far easier for a mediocre teacher who was him or herself a solid C-average student in college to teach dumb stuff than smart stuff. And sorry, but most teachers come from that lowest quintile of college graduates, and most don't really want to teach, they do it because they have a degree, they can't get hired to do anything else in our hypercompetitive work markets today, and teaching pays relatively well for the work required and you get all those great vacations and a bennies package that would make a Teamsters negotiator blush.

This level of teacher "education" is why, when subbing an AP English course some weeks ago, I found myself puzzled as to why these kids knew NOTHING about the history surrounding the WWI-era poetry they were reading...how in hell can we expect them to wander Flanders Field without knowing what's fertilizing the beautiful poppies?

They had NO clue in hell what I was talking about. More than one came up to me after the classes and said they wished I was their regular teacher since it was clear I knew far more about poetery (I hate poetry, I suck at it, it makes no sense to me, usually) than their regular Advanced Placement teacher.

This kind of thing BREAKS MY HEART.

Which is why I rail against "teachers" such as the many in here who claim to be some sort of junior Einsteins doing what they do for the "love of the children!"

Hogwash. Most teachers despise kids. Many with an barely-controlled desire to do them violence. Anyone who is an HONEST teacher knows this either about themself, or about other teachers. But teacher like to pretend this and all the other issues with schools aren't so, because afterall, they are "professionals!"

And it isn't about redneck, rightwing haters beating up on teachers. It's about reality. If not, then tell me why so many teachers send their OWN kids to private schools?

The difference between the problems with the schools is that they could be fixed, whereas since AGW is not real it can neither be fixed nor should we be pumping money into fixing something that if it is happening, is not something we can or should control.

Tokie
 
didn't learn anything about diversity in them. try again.

i did not. the truth and you are not well acquanted, are they? if others said you did, respond to their posts and not mine.

uh-huh.

why'd you stop?

not sure what you're on about here. i do not have a taxpayer funded job, however.

that is not what i said. now, while it is pretty obvious that you don't read what others here write, now i have to wonder if you even read what you write.


1. Then you either took them prior to about 1985, or you didn't take very many.

2. Sorry, the posts come at Tokie so fast and furious and usually with typical (yawn), indistinguishable libbie fury and hatred, it's hard to tell them apart.

3. Nuh, uh. (?)

4. Stop what? A bullet? A speeding train? Dating that girl with the big wart on her chin? What?

5. I don't often have to read the parroted platitudes, slogans, screed and cant of the lefties in here. It's all boilerplate by now.

Tokie
 
By the way, it's not that kids are "dumber," it's that they are being kept ignorant and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator for several reasons, one being that it is far easier for a mediocre teacher who was him or herself a solid C-average student in college to teach dumb stuff than smart stuff. And sorry, but most teachers come from that lowest quintile of college graduates, and most don't really want to teach, they do it because they have a degree, they can't get hired to do anything else in our hypercompetitive work markets today, and teaching pays relatively well for the work required and you get all those great vacations and a bennies package that would make a Teamsters negotiator blush.

That might all be true, but we'll never know without some actual data to examine. For my part, I scored in the 99th percentile on every standardized test I ever took, graduated with honors from top-tier schools for both my graduate and undergrad degrees. I even quit a different job to become a teacher. My pay sucks compared to what I did before teaching, my "bennies" aren't all that great (I get to pay half-price for some crappy health insurance, and I get a total of 10 days paid vacation per year, plus around 9 weeks of forced, unpaid "vacation" during which time I work other jobs. I do it because I'm good at it, and it's not all that hard, so I can put most of my energy into other things, like my family.

This kind of thing BREAKS MY HEART.

Mine too. It's just that I've never witnessed such a thing, myself.

Hogwash. Most teachers despise kids. Many with an barely-controlled desire to do them violence. Anyone who is an HONEST teacher knows this either about themself, or about other teachers. But teacher like to pretend this and all the other issues with schools aren't so, because afterall, they are "professionals!"

I'll give you that. I know I despise most other people's kids. Just makes the "tough love" part of the job that much easier.


And it isn't about redneck, rightwing haters beating up on teachers. It's about reality. If not, then tell me why so many teachers send their OWN kids to private schools?

Because private schools are better, silly. Plus, when I was a kid we used to beat up the teachers' kids whenever we could get away with it, and certainly never let them play our reindeer games.

The difference between the problems with the schools is that they could be fixed, whereas since AGW is not real it can neither be fixed nor should we be pumping money into fixing something that if it is happening, is not something we can or should control.

Tokie

Okay, so how would you go about fixing them? Try to stay within the realm of the politically possible.
 
1. Then you either took them prior to about 1985, or you didn't take very many.

no, and i never said i took 'many.' hence the operative word 'few.' hopefully you can see the difference.

2. Sorry, the posts come at Tokie so fast and furious and usually with typical (yawn), indistinguishable libbie fury and hatred, it's hard to tell them apart.

well, at least you can admit you're not smart enough to keep up. next try working on the narcissism.

3. Nuh, uh. (?)

exactly.

4. Stop what? A bullet? A speeding train? Dating that girl with the big wart on her chin? What?

holding your breath, obviously. if you're not going to read it, don't bother responding to it.

5. I don't often have to read the parroted platitudes, slogans, screed and cant of the lefties in here. It's all boilerplate by now.

you really need some new material.
 
Last edited:
High school...oddly enough, textbooks from the 20s and 30s are not available online...so sorry, no link--LIIIIINNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

I am sure someone in the districts where they used to use those books is working on this oversight, as we key.

Sheesh.

Tokie

So you can't provide the title, author, publishing company, and/or Library of Congress information so that interested parties can go and find copies of them?

Actually, that's the last math class I really remembered. Lately I've been going through some old documents and it appears I took one in 10th grade, too. The docs reminded me that one of the major projects in this 10th grade math class (mid-1970s) was to produce a drawing/collage some such of what we thought "alien" (as in space alien...I think Skylab was in the news at the time) numbers would look like.

I was a big SF reader, and figured they'd just be symbols, like ours...I mean, how could a race using hashmarks for numbers get very far?

The teacher gave me an "F" for the probject.

I don't live in CA, but in my state I had to take a test for math that I think probably went up to early middle school level. I tanked it, but still got the teaching cert!

Tokie

This makes your mocking of the diorama HILARIOUS.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom