Are you suggesting that all humans DO NOT deserve equal rights? Really???
Don't be silly. He's suggesting there are things that are true because of how they feel and not because they are arrived at empirically. Or something like that, anyway.
Are you suggesting that all humans DO NOT deserve equal rights? Really???
In a completely evidence-based world view we'd be compelled to treat some people as 'more equal than others'. The fact that we don't (or try not to) is basically spiritual.. we believe in a commonality of identity, which cannot be supported by science or social science.. only by a religious view of reality.
On the whole I'd argue a religious view of life is more logically consistent with a moral view of life, than is a secular materialist view of life.
Of course you can argue that, but it is pretty meaningless without specifying which moral view you are alluding to...........
On the whole I'd argue a religious view of life is more logically consistent with a moral view of life, than is a secular materialist view of life.
Of course you can argue that, but it is pretty meaningless without specifying which moral view you are alluding to.
Surely you are not talking about the moral view espoused in the Christian Old Testament ...
Oh, and what would prevent a secular materialist view from including morals ?
I think you mean the Jewish Old Testament - the Christian part happened in the New Testament. Just a minor detail though.![]()
Well gosh ! Aren't we clever ...I think you mean the Jewish Old Testament - the Christian part happened in the New Testament. Just a minor detail though.![]()
My pleasure.Thank you for clarifying the 911 CT matter.
What is it with this band of alleged skeptics, and the obsession with the word "liar?"How does saying you do not believe a person (in this case my motive, not my facts) differ from calling them a liar?
Actually, I think the point was that the Jews do not call it the "old testament", only Christians or off-shoots of Christianity call it that. (or those raised in the Christian traditions, whether they follow Christianity or not)
It is, in fact, an insult to Jews to call their Bible "old", although I realize many people do not realize that.
I prefer the neutral terms "Hebrew Bible" and "Christian Bible", although in many circles this strange, because many people would include the HB with the CB.
Ok, I'm done confusing the issue.![]()
Well gosh ! Aren't we clever ...
There is no such thing as a " Jewish Old Testament " ...
What Bible do you use ?
All the Christian bibles I know of, contain both the old and new testaments, with varying amount of content ..
You seem to be confused about Christianity in general, making your choice of user name even more confusing...
Why don't you tell us how a never changing god, managed to change from the old testament to the new ?
A good Christian should really know a little more about the roots of their religion.. I wonder why so many atheists seem to know more about Christianity than a lot of Christians..
Edit: I see that skeptical cleared some of this up while I was composing..
My position is provisional; all that has to be done to change my mind is to be provided with evidence. If there was convincing evidence that any religion at all were true, I would believe in it, because I am a skeptic. What would it take to change your mind?
Really? So at least 30,000 people, including many skeptics, witness something unexplainable that had been predicted to happen beforehand by a vision of Mary, passed on by 3 peasant children. And that isn't verifiable evidence?
How is it not?
If thousands of people seeing the Sun jump about in the sky, approaching the Earth in a zigzag fashion, and dry their soaking clothes and the ground within an inexplicably short time... and for those people all to have gathered in a field to witness it at a particular predicted day and time ... isn't enough evidence for you, what conceivably would be?
Answer: nothing.
Ladewig; said:I agree with you in that my lack of belief in God is provisional and given enough evidence, I would change it. However, I have been thinking about your asking the theists in this thread what evidence would make them change their mind. The question must sound as foreign to some of them as if you asked me "what evidence would it take for you to stop believing that you are male." Every day, when I get dressed I see evidence of that proposition. Every medical professional I have seen has confirmed my belief. Every lover has confirmed my belief. Every anatomy book and website has confirmed my belief. The idea that I might be asked for what evidence would make me disbelieve something at my very core is so foreign to my understanding, that I probably might never be able to verbalize or even imagine what would make me reject that proposition.
Even if I am wrong about the above interpretation, I still am having a hard time seeing it as a two-way street. I know what evidence would make the average non-believer accept a belief in leprechauns, but how does one marshal evidence to make a leprechaun-believer change his viewpoint?
What?
Look, I can see my fruit and veg. I can't see god. Now we're entertaining comparisons between God and obvious external genitals?
Ladewig; said:I wasn't saying that the two conclusions are equally valid. I was trying to point out that many theists are so wrapped up in their belief that they cannot imagine not believing.
I know what evidence would make the average non-believer accept a belief in leprechauns, but how does one marshal evidence to make a leprechaun-believer change his viewpoint?
I don't know if that comparison is striking.However, I do think your point about many theists is correct. They could no more consider disbelieving in god than you could consider disbelieving you are male.
Actually, there are at least some common ground rules about skeptical or critical thinking. And I'm not sure ImaginalDisc was judging Christian by a single encounter. And people do generally judge others to some extent whether they post those conclusions or not.Oh, cool! I've been looking for you! You're the guy who gets to decide who is and who is not a skeptic!!!.....
I don't know if that comparison is striking.
What about asking a mother to stop loving her own child more than other children. That's just weird child believe. Is there evidence her child belief is true while other child beliefs are false?
Then why are women more religious than men?religion has been used as a reason to opress women for a very long time and it STILL IS used for that purpose. how you can claim religion is part of why women have rights in this country makes no sense to me at all.
Right.Originally Posted by skeptigirl
How does saying you do not believe a person (in this case my motive, not my facts) differ from calling them a liar.
In this particular case, that would mean DR can read my mind and knows my true motives and he thinks I don't know them.
A liar is someone who knowingly tells an untruth. Believing that someone's declared motives are different from their true motives doesn't imply you think they are lying. It's possible they are just not aware of their true motivations. Not an uncommon situation. People often presume they can tell someone's true (unconscious) motivations from their actions better than the individual knows themselves what their true motivations are. You've done that yourself on occasion.
Frankly, I found your OP to be phrased in a way that makes it easy for others to presume that it is a game or a trap for theists. I have conversed with you enough that I don't think that's actually the case, but plenty of others here are eager and willing to jump on any replies and play the "bash the believer" game for as long as believers are willing to respond to such queries. I can understand why they would not want to give personal details of what they believe and why. I wouldn't either.
This thread is a spin off from that thread and from the two threads which ask theists to provide evidence disproving gods.Originally Posted by skeptigirl
There are, however, skeptic theists who treat their personal god beliefs quite differently than they treat their other beliefs. I was hoping to discuss what thought processes or evidence went into that dichotomy. But it seems for at least the theists commenting in the thread, they aren't even willing to acknowledge the fact they have 'special' god beliefs and regular god beliefs. People have gone to incredible lengths to avoid even saying that much, let alone actually discussing what it is they find different between the two god beliefs.
I recall that you recently had a long discussion with Larson on another thread about exactly what the different is between such god beliefs. One sort can be (and often has been) falsified. The other sort cannot be falsified. It seems a clear distinction to me. You can disagree that unfalsifable gods are worthy of belief, but that's another question.
That is plumjam's position. To have that position you have to totally distort the world's religions in order to make those religions represent a belief in the same god. I think that's a stretch very few theologians would agree is possible. It's wishful thinking.Originally Posted by skeptigirl
Regardless of one's conviction of certainty, and regardless of one's degree of believing I'm OK/You're OK, the fact still remains that location of birth and circumstances of culture are highly predictive of which god belief a theist might come to adopt.
....
Is that fact evidence that god beliefs are not really coming from some inner feeling exerted by a real god?
It could be interpreted that way. But it could also be interpreted as evidence that if some god exists, he/she/it adapts his communication with them to their circumstances.