Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
- Joined
- Feb 14, 2005
- Messages
- 96,955
So whichever god beliefs are available, then, is the reason they are chosen?Thought:
Why did you choose that shirt to wear this morning?
It was available.
It fits (works for) you.
DR
So whichever god beliefs are available, then, is the reason they are chosen?Thought:
Why did you choose that shirt to wear this morning?
It was available.
It fits (works for) you.
DR
Straw man question dodging.Actually, that wouldn't answer the OP at all. She wants "scientific evidence" on why what I believe is true and someone elses beliefs are false.
The problem with philosophy is often anybody feels they can discuss it without ever having a damn clue what it is they're talking about.
I find it hard to believe that DR simply browsed among the available religions and picked one out like a shirt off a rack. Of course I could be wrong and DR is one of the very few people who has done exactly that, but religion doesn't seem to me to be something that one just shops around for.So whichever god beliefs are available, then, is the reason they are chosen?
By this criteria, weapons development, such as nuclear bombs, is faith-based while our democratic system of government is not.
Theists seem to be dancing around the question like it was a hot potato. A lot of discussion about spirituality and the rest, but not one theist yet has even had the courage to say, "I don't believe Zeus ever existed." Why is that?Skeptigirl, I think that one problem with getting answers to this question is that the theists who have been posting here don't believe that all other god beliefs are false. While your statement may be true for many, perhaps even most believers, it does not appear to be a true statement for the theists who post in this forum. Thus, the assumption behind your question - that they recognize other god beliefs as false while claiming theirs is true - is not accurate. Theists who have posted here reject the simplistic "invisible sky daddy" charactorization of ALL gods, so they are equally disbelieving of that charactorization of their god (or goddess) as they are of all the other gods, be they Allah, Zeus or Pele.
If you want an answer to that question, I think you will have to start by trying to understand what it is they do believe in. (Hint: It isn't an invisible sky daddy that requires blind unthinking faith.) Then you may be able to discern where and how they draw the line between credible god beliefs and silly ones. .....
The Buddha would have agreed with the comparison of religion to aeronautics; religion in Buddhism being likened to a vehicle.
Do you believe Zeus does or ever did exist?You might as well say "You are all stupid for believing in something that I don't. Now tell me why you believe that other stupid guy is wrong."
and then when no one answers ask "Why is no one answering my question?"
I don't want your evidence why you believe in a god. I want to know why you believe in one god and not another god. Why are you avoiding that specific question? You seem willing to tell us why you believe in a god.This isn't meant to be a smart aleck response back but:
If you care God is there then go look for him. If you don't care he's there then what's it matter ultimately what evidence any of us has? As for Christianity - I'm not sure what Christian dogma has to do with anything. I think I'd first start with Jesus and go on from there. But that's just my opinion and I have no scientific evidence it's more true than some other approach to Christianity.![]()
Yes, I agree. This is a problem with some strands of Christianity IMO. You know, it's just the religious version of bigotry. Religions, even when divinely inspired, inevitably accrue some less than divine elements, due to the imperfections of those involved in their development over time.This is not my experience with religion. OK, my experience is limited to a couple of years in a Pentacostal Christian church, but while I was there I was bombarded with warnings about "false religions" and "The One True God". I was very much given the impression that Pentacostal Christianity was the right religion and all the others were wrong.
I admit, this is limited experience, but it certainly coloured my opinions, and was one of the reasons I rejected Christianity.
I wouldn't want to argue, either, that all religious organisations are of equal merit. I would prefer, say, Eastern Orthodoxy over Jim Jones any day. In other words there are some 'false' religions But I would argue that the great majority of mankind are not following religions like those.
Yeah, the issue of a supreme God, and lesser 'deities' can cause confusion. In Hinduism there is God without form, and God with form. Formless God, being infinite, and omnipotent, is free to manifest him/her/itself in any particular form so desired. Thus God can appear to his devotees in the form of Vishnu, Siva, Kali.. and any one of myriad other forms. It is the same 'One True God' behind all of these manifestations. You might ask what is the need for the various manifestations. It's a kind of adaptation to the varied psychologies of each individual person. Due to an individual's particular psychological make-up they may be more naturally attracted to a manifestation of God that exhibits certain qualities.. such as femininity, compassion, power, forgiveness, playfulness...etc..Why not? Does a Christian not reject the Hindu gods? If not, why does the Christian not worship the Hindu gods?
In a sense, it's a kind of reaching out to the individual... meeting them where they are now.
God in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, for example, tends to be God without form (although God did become manifest in a human form in Christianity). There are bound to be people brought up in a Muslim, or Judaic background who would be more suited to God with form as they have in Hinduism, but their options are a bit limited.
So, to answer your question, a Christian is free to reject the Hindu Gods, with no harm done. If he were to reject the formless God that lies behind the Hindu Gods, then he would be simultaneously rejecting the same formless God of his Christianity.
As I understand it, at the time, there were all kinds of Gods being worshiped, some of which, presumably, were not of genuine divine origin. So this pronouncement, I would imagine, was to get people to focus back onto the centre. Meher Baba says that divine communications are tailored to the specific cultures they are given, during that specific era. So, for example, it wasn't communicated in the Koran that a man should have only one wife. This was due to the fact that in the culture it was presented to this would have been such a radical shift in lifestyle that the communication would not have 'taken'. Instead a 'happy medium' of a limitation to 4 wives was communicated.It's right there at the top of the Commandments: "Thou shalt have no gods before me". The first commandment (of the common set) is telling Christians explicitly to reject other Gods! Or so it seems to me.
Hypothetical:
Say there is a pagan god whose worshippers claim will seek out and kill all those who don't believe in him. As a Christian, you reject that god, because you don't believe that he will seek you out and kill you.
But if you stick to the claim that Christians don't reject other gods, why aren't you terrified that you will be sought out and killed?
Yeah, as I said above, there are some false Gods. Like if I were to sit in my bedroom and dream up a cruel God like that, it wouldn't make that God real.
So here it is. It appears to me that Christians do reject other gods, plumjam and DR notwithstanding. Automatic exclusivity is built into religion, especially Christianity with its First Commandment. Apparently I have it wrong. Can anyone enlighten me?
Christians reject particular manifestations of God (some of which will be genuine, some not). If they reject the formless God behind the genuine manifestations they're rejecting their own formless God.
What can I say.
I'm not all that familiar with Hinduism. Is this the Hindu doctrine or the Christian interpretation of Hindu doctrine? I was under the impression that Hinduism was genuinely polythestic. You seem to be saying that it's actually monotheistic, but with a veneer of polytheism....Thus God can appear to his devotees in the form of Vishnu, Siva, Kali.. and any one of myriad other forms. It is the same 'One True God' behind all of these manifestations.
But some were?As I understand it, at the time, there were all kinds of Gods being worshiped, some of which, presumably, were not of genuine divine origin.
How does a Christian determine whether a particular manifestation of God is genuine?Christians reject particular manifestations of God (some of which will be genuine, some not). If they reject the formless God behind the genuine manifestations they're rejecting their own formless God.
Belief in gods also depends on the proximity of the religions you are then exposed to because of where you were born or live or the culture surrounding you. That seems to me to be evidence the god belief components of that religious experience are arbitrary. Maybe the religion needs certain elements in order for you to fall in love with it and maintain the relationship, but the god beliefs themselves do not come from real gods existing in the Universe. If they did, then where you were born would not matter. When you had that inner experience, it shouldn't depend on the religion you are exposed to, yet it is.
I think in the west we tend to view religion in a more static way, and thus want to be able to apply hard and fast labels to their components. In Hinduism it is seen more as an experiential journey from A to B. The polytheism is a helpful element of the journey for some people, as they constitutionally find it easier to concentrate on God presented in a particular form. It's recognised though, that these manifestations of God are not competing discrete identities, rather they're emanations from the same supreme being. So, monotheistic, yes, polytheistic, yes. The two are not mutually exclusive, in this context.I'm not all that familiar with Hinduism. Is this the Hindu doctrine or the Christian interpretation of Hindu doctrine? I was under the impression that Hinduism was genuinely polythestic. You seem to be saying that it's actually monotheistic, but with a veneer of polytheism.
No easy answer, but you can use your moral intuition.. examine the people associated with that God, the teachings associated with it, the traditions, the behaviour of followers, whether that God has made people less selfish, more compassionate..etcHow does a Christian determine whether a particular manifestation of God is genuine?
I am not interested in debating my world view. Who I am is not an abstraction, nor is it your play toy. Put another way, I don't care to be talked at.
I am still awaiting a response to why I should care about another religionist's beliefs. That is directly related to the OP. Given that this is page seven, I guess I'll accept I won't get an answer.
You took an intersubjectively investigable phenomenon like homeopathy and tried to equate it with an intersubjectively non-investigable phenomenon, namely internal spiritual experience.
That was the silly part.
Can't you see the difference?
Ok, your Education, Medicine and Aeronautics.
All based on beliefs.
Education on the belief in the value of knowledge.
Medicine on the belief that it is good to alleviate suffering.
Aeronautics couldn't have got off the ground (geddit?) if the Wright Bros hadn't had faith that powered flight was possible.. in the face of widespread ridicule too. The first aeroplane was a faith-based product.
So are you now happy to use the word faith to apply to everything, intersubjective or not?
Well this post has probably been replied to but I'll give my 2 cents as well. Your cynical post here contains gross misinformation and includes the big lie, if someone looks at evidence and isn't convinced it proves a miracle, that person will NEVER believe anything represents a miracle. You are simply rationalizing why you believe in some frauds and false claims and other people don't. It must be that we are incapable, it can't be that you've been fooled.Really? So at least 30,000 people, including many skeptics, witness something unexplainable that had been predicted to happen beforehand by a vision of Mary, passed on by 3 peasant children. And that isn't verifiable evidence?
How is it not?
If thousands of people seeing the Sun jump about in the sky, approaching the Earth in a zigzag fashion, and dry their soaking clothes and the ground within an inexplicably short time... and for those people all to have gathered in a field to witness it at a particular predicted day and time ... isn't enough evidence for you, what conceivably would be?
Answer: nothing.
St Bernadette's face and hands are waxed, and there are detailed reports of the "mold" and other signs of deterioration when the corpse was taken out for exam. So is God imperfect then?Really? How about the incorrupted bodies of saints? St Bernadette for example.
http://www.catholicpilgrims.com/lourdes/bb_bernadette_body.htm
http://www.ichrusa.com/saintsalive/bernad.htm
...
Last I heard you could see the Sun from just about anywhere on Earth....
The event was witnessed by some people up to a radius of 30 miles away from the field in question. Some that hadn't heard of the prediction.
What really happened to the Sun that day, is anyone's guess... but that's why it's a miracle.
No one washes stray animals and seals them in coffins with melted lead. You need to read a bit more about Bernadette....Straw man alert. Bernadette, for example, was not given prior mummification treatment, as were your examples. How can a body not decompose for 30 years?
Why does this only happen (without mummification treatment) to people recognised as holy in their societies?
If it's just a physical quirk, why doesn't it happen to animals?