But what started the chain of life moving back millions of years ago? Why did this dirty ball of crater lined rock move into the Goldilocks zone and get bombarded by comets filled with lifegiving water, and who knows what else?
In all things in the universe, I see order and reason for it, even super novas and neutron stars, sending the elements that are needed for life millions of light years away to us so that chain of life can start. And while I have no obvious proof for the belief that nature and god is the same thing, at the same time I get that belief reinforced everytime a snowflake touches my tounge or I perform a DNA test and wonder over the strands and building blocks of life.
To me, this chaotic universe that some people think they live in, is very ordered and profound in its scope.
Just my humble opinion.
Is all of that not anthropic observation bias?
Wait..... yes it's not? Or yes it is....... Assuming yep is yes and not (possibly) yelp!
Why would asking you that question insult you? That doesn't even make sense. You implied god beliefs were all outside of your skeptical beliefs. I am merely asking you to think again about that claim.Who is being insulting now . . . ?
You are describing what you do believe. I'll ask you again, do you believe in all the god beliefs that ever were? You cannot. For one because a lot of god beliefs directly contradict other god beliefs.What I believe, is probally very simular, if not exactly, what you probally believe SkepticGirl. However, as a Panthiest, I see the universe as a living breathing enity, completly sentient, and living in all of us. I see God in the details. I know that the clouds and the earth's friction casue static discharges, thus lightning. And that magma backs up in a given area till it explodes causing the volcano to erupt.
But what started the chain of life moving back millions of years ago? Why did this dirty ball of crater lined rock move into the Goldilocks zone and get bombarded by comets filled with lifegiving water, and who knows what else?
In all things in the universe, I see order and reason for it, even super novas and neutron stars, sending the elements that are needed for life millions of light years away to us so that chain of life can start. And while I have no obvious proof for the belief that nature and god is the same thing, at the same time I get that belief reinforced everytime a snowflake touches my tounge or I perform a DNA test and wonder over the strands and building blocks of life.
To me, this chaotic universe that some people think they live in, is very ordered and profound in its scope.
Just my humble opinion.
I don't think SkeptiGrl would fully disagree with you here.
But I think her point was that if you have hindu and a christian, they both FEEL their religion is the right one.
What she was interested in, if I understood her correctly, was if there was something ON TOP of that conviction that convinced you either christianity or hinduism was more valid as a description of reality as the other.
Those inner feelings have been subject of discussion on more than one thread here, while I think that Skeptigrl probably considers them not evidence in general of religion it is particular irrelevant to the OP's original question because we can not differentiate between a hindu's inner feelings and a christian's inner feelings.
No, you are also not looking at the actual problem. That is the, "ho hum, it's faith, not science" argument and I specifically did not ask that question because we all know the answer. This is not about "questions of a religious nature". It is about special god beliefs. It is about special treatment for certain god beliefs which is not afforded other god beliefs.7 syllables
In that case then, we can see that she seems to be assuming that methodological naturalism should be the preferred way of settling questions of a religious nature.
That would be a massive assumption, and in my opinion, an erroneous one.
It seems to me that people have been so indoctrinated in what you describe as methodological naturalism, that when a subject matter arises for which such an approach is inherently unsuited the default reaction seems to be that therefore the particular subject matter in question (e.g. spirtuality) can't have any basis in reality.
This kind of one-dimensional approach to everything seems to be the rule in this forum, though there are some exceptions.
Ho-hum.
Why would asking you that question insult you? That doesn't even make sense. You implied god beliefs were all outside of your skeptical beliefs. I am merely asking you to think again about that claim.
You are describing what you do believe. I'll ask you again, do you believe in all the god beliefs that ever were? You cannot. For one because a lot of god beliefs directly contradict other god beliefs.
You are doing the exact same thing as A Christian Skeptic. You don't get the concept that there are lots of god beliefs and you have simply chosen to believe in some of those and not others. You reached your hand in a bag, pulled out some god beliefs and declared that the very fact you pulled those beliefs out makes those beliefs exempt from any skeptical inquiry.
That would be fine, except, you took the rest of the god beliefs in the bag and tossed them out an declared those god beliefs would now all belong in with everything you view from a skeptical position.
And even that might be OK but you took it one step further. You no longer recognized the fact those other god beliefs were all in the same bag before you pulled some out and declared those beliefs "special".
And because you don't recognize those god beliefs all came out of the same bag, you don't get what I'm talking about.
skeptigirl said:So you believe gods control volcanoes and throw lightning bolts at people, V23? That would mean you'd have to discard natural explanations for those events. Is it turtles all the way down and did Coyote steal fire from heaven? Are Orion and Osiris up there in a constellation which we know now is just an arbitrary grouping a stars that when observed in 3D are nowhere close to each other as they were once thought to be?
But I don't have 2 kinds of god beliefs, you and the other theists do. It is you who must have at some point made a determination these god beliefs are special and those are not. I'm not asking you to use my criteria. You had some criteria. What criteria did you use?I don't see how you can dicuss whether one religious belief is more true than another one unless you move out "methodological naturalism".
(For us laymen types, they are basicly talking about material causality and proofs therof . . .threw me for a loop too . . .)![]()
You got halfway there then ducked the question.So getting to the nitty gritty . . . You are asking why we don't use skeptisim in our own religoius beliefs, right?
In other words, you want to know why we aren't atheists too . . .
This is all OT. There is no question on the table here about whose religion is better. Nor is there a discussion about whether theists claim evidence or get a pass because they don't claim evidence. There is no question on the table about absolute truths.When religionists take the particular formulations of their beliefs and use them to argue absolute access to truth, and present their beliefs as a weapon of mutual exclusivity vis-a-vis other religions, then they are wrong, and it can have dangerous consequences.
Of course, that has happened at times in history, but looking at the real world, it is the exception to the rule.
Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism are all very receptive to the idea of the harmony of religions, and are generally highly mutually respectful.
Christianity, Islam and Judaism share their early origins, and for the great majority of their history Christians, Muslims, and Jews have lived together peaceably and with tolerance.
(You might like to compare this record with the historical record of the coexistence of more secular belief systems such as capitalism, communism and fascism; and find the latter coming off way second best)
Conversely, the impression given on this forum is that religions claim, as a general rule, mutual exclusivity i.e. 'if my religion is true yours must be false'.
This is just not true. And anyone with more than a high school level of knowledge about comparative religion would know it.
Furthermore, this massive straw man is commonly used to try to demonstrate that as "all religions claim mutually exclusive access to the truth" (or some such phrase), then "not all of them can be right, therefore all of them must be wrong".
This is more high school level reasoning. It's therefore surprising how many otherwise intelligent-seeming individuals employ it.
Sorry, Someguy, not aiming all that at you.. just making a general point.
On your last sentence, regarding the hindu and christian's inner feelings. Allowing for differences in language and cultural constructs, hindus and christians describe spiritual states surprisingly similarly.
But I don't have 2 kinds of god beliefs, you and the other theists do. It is you who must have at some point made a determination these god beliefs are special and those are not. I'm not asking you to use my criteria. You had some criteria. What criteria did you use?
No, you are also not looking at the actual problem. That is the, "ho hum, it's faith, not science" argument and I specifically did not ask that question because we all know the answer. This is not about "questions of a religious nature". It is about special god beliefs. It is about special treatment for certain god beliefs which is not afforded other god beliefs.
I am not the one applying two different standards to god beliefs. I am not the one claiming a pass on "faith based" beliefs while not affording that same pass to god beliefs in general, but skeptic theists are.
And just look at the replies here. How dare I ask? How dare I point out the incongruent thinking? I must have evil motives. It couldn't possibly be an interest in critical thinking.
Have you seen a single atheist get angry just for being asked to disprove the existence of gods? There may very well be rude posts and unhappy camper exchanges, but not replies of anger toward someone daring to ask the questions.
The question is, explain the difference from within the individual's thought processes how one set of god beliefs becomes above and separate from that same individual's other god beliefs?
Genuine spiritual knowledge comes from inner experience, not from faith.
So does the knowledge of being Napoleon.
One batty idea is pretty much the same as another.