Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
- Joined
- Feb 14, 2005
- Messages
- 96,955
This is a false premise which underlies what you, Christian and DR in some respects don't get about the OP. I certainly have a belief about god beliefs. They all seem the same to me. I see no reason any god beliefs are 'special'....Why are we hashing this issue between a person who obviously does believe in a form of a deity and one who doesn't, when one of the people in the debate can't even speak to the subject of the OP, UNLESS, there is alternative motive in why the thread was created, and sustained?
And I believe there to be. An Atheist can't answer to why his/her religious beliefs are better than mine, BECAUSE THEY DON"T HAVE ANY....
But I'm not asking about which belief is better, or who is better, or why something is better. I am asking about theists viewing their god beliefs as 'special'. Other god beliefs are not viewed as being 'special'. Other non-evidence based beliefs are not viewed as being 'special'.
You all seem hung up on the values and I'm not talking about values. Is that a defense mechanism? You can't answer the question, why are certain god beliefs 'special', so you attack the straw man that I am arguing atheism is superior? If you pick an outcome, science can measure which is better. But science cannot pick the outcome and therefore cannot determine which is the superior world view.
Science can address morals and values only if you add the criteria one needs to make those determinations. Unless we supply the criteria, science cannot tell us if theism is superior to atheism. Science can, however, address the validity of god beliefs. Science can be used to determine if there is an empirical or qualitative difference between Christian god beliefs and ancient Greek god beliefs. If there is no empirical difference, then calling one set of beliefs myths and the other "faith based" is disingenuous.
Who is superior and who is inferior is relative to the criteria you supply to the equation. Theists might be happier, belief in life after death is comforting, belonging to the church community might be rewarding. Atheism might result in a longer life for someone who turns to science for health care than for someone who prays. Atheists may have more fulfilling lives not spent wasted on worship rituals.
Assumptions that this thread is about who is better are ignorantly unfounded. DR draws the wrong conclusions about a lot of things and this is one of them. I did not choose to be an atheist, I am one because I followed the evidence. I could no more choose to believe in gods than a gay person can choose to be attracted to the opposite sex. Either you conclude there are gods or you conclude there are no gods. It doesn't involve judgment about who is superior. That doesn't mean I don't make value judgments. But it does mean asking the questions about god beliefs asked in the OP do not have to involve a value judgment.
The question isn't whose beliefs are superior. The question is, why are your beliefs (if you are a theist) special or different from all the other god beliefs you dismiss as false?
Last edited:
