The aircraft shaped hole is the point skip
Do you think the bombs, explosives and torpedoes made them?
Lost Child, as always, has plunged his fingers deep in his ears and is screaming "la-la-la, I can't h-e-a-r you!"
The aircraft shaped hole is the point skip
Do you think the bombs, explosives and torpedoes made them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze
Kamikaze pilots would attempt to intentionally crash their aircraft — often laden with explosives, bombs, torpedoes and full fuel tanks — into Allied ships with a goal of causing greater damage than a conventional attack, using bombs or torpedoes.
What’s your point?
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00325.htmThe mechanical properties of a projectile
depends on its speed. For example, if I take a soft lead bullet and press it
slowly against a steel plate, say 0.5 cm thick, using a mechanical press, it
would deform into a lead disc and the steel plate would be largely
unaffected. However, if I take the same soft lead bullet and it's fired from
a 0.357 Magnum, it would easily blow a large hole in the same steel plate.
The difference is that deformation of a projectile takes a certain amount of
time to occur. If the impact time is very short compared to this
characteristic time of deformation, the mechanical properties of the object
will be very different. This is not an uncommon phenomenon. Another example,
if I jump into a lake from a height of 1 meter, I just sink and make a
splash -- no harm. But if I jump into the same lake from an airplane at 1000
meters above the surface, I'm a pancake. I might just as well hit solid
ground. The reason is: at the speed with which I hit the water is so fast,
the water does not have time to "get out of the way" so it becomes
essentially a solid. This is what happens to straws etc. driven by tornadic winds. They become projectiles, like an arrow.
For clarification purposes, fighters which did have armour did not distribute that armour throughout the fuselage. The armour was concentrated in a plate situated behind the pilot's seat (since most attacks came from the rear quarter) and sometimes around the vital parts of the engine. The rest of a fighter was unarmoured.And let's not forget that the Zero is probably the closest thing in WW2 to a paper plane with an engine. It had a very light hull with no armor at all.
For clarification purposes, fighters which did have armour did not distribute that armour throughout the fuselage. The armour was concentrated in a plate situated behind the pilot's seat (since most attacks came from the rear quarter) and sometimes around the vital parts of the engine. The rest of a fighter was unarmoured.
Fuel tanks were self-sealing due to a special rubber coating around the tank and not due to any armouring.
Correct, at least not until the late war models. I just wanted to point out that those fighters which did have armour had it located in a few specific places. Folks not familiar with WWII fighters might read armour and think it was covering or reinforcing most of the fuselage rather that being concentrated in a few key spots inside the fighter.But the Zero did not have self-sealing fuel tanks or pilot protective armor.
I estimate the wingspan of the pane that made that hole as 60 ft. Based on the height of the guys in the upper left, and you can see a hole where their legs are to estimate where their feet are. The Ki-48 had a wingspan of 57 feet.Wikipedia lists that as a medium bomber, so that AFAIK has to be the exception among kamikaze aircraft. They were usually very light; there was a twin-engine light bomber that they did use towards the end of the war as it had outlived its usefulness in other types of missions, but I can't remember the make or model.
ETA:
Kawasaki Ki-48.
Thanks AZcat for proving to us that Kamikazes were a false flag op!
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/15579468afbb90f028.jpg[/qimg]
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/15579468afbb8cfa36.jpg[/qimg]
Must have had explosives in the nose.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Mu...ts=K3-DDdVHaG&sig=H1Lhzz53OJdoIsZyNe5gfJGgLrQ
For suicide missions the JAAF used modified Peggys known as the Ki-61-I KAI with armament removed and a solid nose packed with explosive
Mitsubishi Ki-67-1 of the imperial Japanese Army. During the closing months of the war, these aircraft had their noses packed with explosives for use as a kamikaze aircraft.