danielk
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Jun 21, 2007
- Messages
- 1,078
Is it their country, though?So... what if... just if...
the terrorists were quite justified in what they want (the US troops leaving) - even if they're not justified in the means they use?
Nah, I think there were a mixed bag of reasons for the invasion of Iraq. However, I would submit that WMD had the least to do with it. In my view the WMD issue was mostly intended a gesture to the old adherents of realpolitik, and to try to win over the NATO allies. I would pin it down to a combination of securing American interests and missionary zeal.Anyway, you realize, I hope sincerely, that saving the Iraqi people from its Evil Dictatorship was never the real reason for this war. That that is just a feel-good-reason. It was all about the WMD that Saddam was supposed to have. And we all know how true that reason was.
But I agree with you insofar that I believe the administration should have known better than to expect to be greeted with flowers. Also, combining self-interest with missionary zeal rarely goes over well with the recipients. I'd consider this to be basic common sense psychology, but alas... I guess "hubris" sums it up well.
Yeah, and that's why we're now in realpolitik mode again. Actually the US administration never really suspended realpolitik -- see Pakistan. Which is a shame on the one hand and a relief on the other.Now, if it were nonetheless about saving this people from their evil dictator, then... there is still a lot of work to do in other countries. Lots and lots of work. (But see above for history's lessons)