... did you ever find out who the author was of that Tampa newspaper article.
Yes. As I wrote in post # 979, that news item came from a feature syndicated by Religious News Service to papers around the country. The byline entry on the electronic document copy sent to me by the Rutherford Institute is CHRINE LEHMANN, which I believe is a computer mis-entry for Christine Lehmann.
That's sufficient to satisfy my curiosity for the moment, although I can check up the exact name of the author for you in a few weeks if you'd like. I am pretty sure the Knoxville News Sentinel is one of the papers which carries the religion section, and I will be visiting Knoxville in mid-June so should be able to look this up and photocopy it from microfilm then. I offered in my previous post to send you a copy of the electronic document by PM or e-mail; same offer holds if you would like me to mail you a photocopy of the story from microfilm.
Or, if you are truly interested and don't care to wait that long, you can probably find and copy the article for yourself much sooner than I'll be able to. I don't know where you live, but it is very likely that one of the major newspapers in your state carries the Religious News Service feature. If you live near a college or university, the library there will likely have state newspapers on microfilm which you can look up. Large public libraries also often have microfilm newspaper collections.
However, the byline on that piece doesn't seem particularly important to me. This is, as I noted above, a compilation of brief news items from around the country. I'm fairly sure that Lehmann didn't fly around the country each week to cover things such as the school board meeting at which ACLJ represented Misty Newberry. These stories were covered by local people; Lehmann's byline on the piece indicates to me that she either was the person at RNS who compiled stories to send out in that week's package or the person at the Florida newspaper who decided which items from that week's package to use and who edited them to fit the available space.
edited to add: I wrote the above before taking off on this trip. Since then, I have been able to check both the Knoxville and Atlanta newspapers. Neither one carried those particular religion news briefs. (Religion received very minor newspaper coverage back in 1991; both papers devote more space to it now.)
The day I will have the most time to spend in a library, and will be spending time in a university library, will be Sunday. There's a good chance one of the newspapers in the UT library collection will have this item.