• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Edges Of Child Pornography: What Should Be Legal, What Shouldn't?

They might be, depending on circumstance- but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the issue at hand; parental responsibility for the information their children are exposed to. Limiting other people's children's acces to materials in the name of "caution".
I see it as the same kind of issue. Neglect is a parental issue, abuse is a parental issue, so is what information kids are able to access. In the scheme of things, that is by far the minor issue. I wouldn't barge in and make a scene because someone's kids are watching porno DVDs.

I sure as hell would, and have, when abuse or neglect has been an issue.
Well, "you catch more flies with honey", and all that. Are you a cop?
No, I'm not a cop, I just live on the wrong side of town.

Honey's all very well, but when you're dealing with a drunken bloke in rage, he doesn't usually see the more subtle arguments. The times for immediate action are fortunately few, but still far too many. I just have this peculiar idea that if it weren't just me, but the entire street turn out to give people a ticking off, it might work better. Never works though, eh? Always something on the tv.
Somewhat. I do not have the right to usurp the child's parent's authority in this way. I will do what I can to convince the parent otherwise, but I do not have the right to over-ride them anymore than they have a right to restrict what my children see.
If you're talking about information again, I agree with you - I'd try to educate rather than lecture.
It is less "not my problem" than respecting the same rights in others that I cherish and demand for myself.

And when I say "I will do what I can", that is not likely to be directly confrontational, but subtle and with humour. Maybe a little shock.
Hey, I'd be the first to agree on a non-interventionist policy - intervening isn't fun and it sure as #### ain't funny. Sometimes it's necessary.

I think we may have been working at cross-purposes with my earlier comments - it wouldn't be the first time I've confused the crap out of someone.

Anyway, I think the only part of your previous post which remained unanswered was this:

Piscivore said:
We CANNOT remove temptation from the paths of these people, just like we couldn't remove the temptation of alcohol from the alcoholics. And to try runs roughshod over basic freedoms that you, as a minority, should be one of the first to defend.
Yep, I saw your links and I understand your arguments.

I still think the whole issue is like the death penalty debate - one innocent executed is one too many. One child molested is one too many.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that paedophiles will be encouraged by childless kidde-porn. Can we be sure? No. Can we be sure no other ill-effects will result to society/children from it? No.

Are there likely to be any positive results from having childless kiddie-porn? Unknown. There is a possibility that it may actually help paedophiles to stay within the bounds of fantasy rather than abusing actual children, but this is unquantifiable at this stage. Known advantages = Nil. It's a certainty that "organisations" like NAMBLA would [rightly in my opinion, from their perspective] hail a change such as you're promoting as a victory.

To change a law requires a strong reasoning. I think you have a case, but where children are involved, established protocols giving children a higher place in the safety heirarchy continue to work and the evidence isn't strong enough to want to change it. (Ever wonder why kids are always first into the best lifeboat?)
 
I know there's a little debate going on, but I just thought I'd throw my opinion in as well. :)

Everything should be legal as long as everyone involved is unharmed, consenting, and of age (which I can't imagine should ever be younger than seventeen). Of course, complications will always arise over exact definitions and what have you, but I think that's a good set of guidelines.
 
I know there's a little debate going on, but I just thought I'd throw my opinion in as well. :)

Everything should be legal as long as everyone involved is unharmed, consenting, and of age (which I can't imagine should ever be younger than seventeen). Of course, complications will always arise over exact definitions and what have you, but I think that's a good set of guidelines.

I agree, although I think age should probably be set higher and then be a rebuttable presumption/standard. (For example, I think a precocious 16 year old should be able to show, perhaps through signed statements from two independent psychiatrists, that they have the mental maturity to consent to appear in pornography).

What do you think about the scenario of an adult consenting to the distribution of pornographic imagery of themselves taken when they were a minor (for example, a 30 year old, who made a video of themselves masterbating when they were 13, who now seeks to distribute this video to other interested adult parties)?
 
No, I'm not a cop, I just live on the wrong side of town.
You sound like a cop. I guess I live in a better neighborhood, I've never seen a child being treated in any manner that suggested immediate intervention on my part was necessary. Of course, it may come down to what your definition of "abuse" and "neglect" is, but that's a whole different issue.

Honey's all very well, but when you're dealing with a drunken bloke in rage, he doesn't usually see the more subtle arguments.
Yeah, see- This isn't something I have to deal with. It may be that people on my street, in my town, keep to themselves more. I don't know any of my immediate neighbors.

If I did encounter an angry drunk, I'd probably call the cops.

The times for immediate action are fortunately few, but still far too many. I just have this peculiar idea that if it weren't just me, but the entire street turn out to give people a ticking off, it might work better. Never works though, eh?
That kind of intimite social sanction seems to work only in relatively small towns. When you get to be a large city, neigborhood turnover gets to be too high. Also, there are things like poverty- poor people move around faster, keeping the neighborhood dynamic unstable. That's why I think that the professional police force is the better solution.

Always something on the tv.
Indeed.

I think we may have been working at cross-purposes with my earlier comments - it wouldn't be the first time I've confused the crap out of someone.
Likewise. :)

I still think the whole issue is like the death penalty debate - one innocent executed is one too many. One child molested is one too many.
That's a great emotive statement to rally the troops around a flag. There's no way to argue against it without tacitly advocating hurting at least one child, killing at least one innocent man.

Unfortunately, if we are going to deal realistically with the problem our human imperfection requires we find a less idealised standard.

I agree that it's highly unlikely that paedophiles will be encouraged by childless kidde-porn. Can we be sure? No. Can we be sure no other ill-effects will result to society/children from it? No.
So err on the side of more freedoms, not less. Until we do know.

Are there likely to be any positive results from having childless kiddie-porn? Unknown. There is a possibility that it may actually help paedophiles to stay within the bounds of fantasy rather than abusing actual children, but this is unquantifiable at this stage.
So err on the side of more freedoms, not less.

Known advantages = Nil.
Not quite. You are missing two big ones.
First, eliminating restrictions on explicit materials that did not cause harm to children would confirm and strengthen freedoms for other less inflammitory but still potentionally objectionable or offensive speech.

Second, and more important, it would set a different standard, grounded in logic and reason, for making these decisions than the flawed, emotive, superstitious criteria we have now.

It's a certainty that "organisations" like NAMBLA would [rightly in my opinion, from their perspective] hail a change such as you're promoting as a victory.
So? My standard is to lessen harm to children, not "winning" against organisations or people I might not personally like.

If what you said is correct- that lessening restrictions on explicit materials helps them "stay within the bounds of fantasy" that could be a win-win for both them and "us"- why on earth would I want to eliminate that possibility just to make sure they always lose?

To change a law requires a strong reasoning.
Not hardly. Strong emotion plays just as much a part. Look at the evolution debate- is there any "strong reason" on the side of the IDers? We are in far to close a battle to pretend that we will always win because we are correct in our logic and our facts.

I think you have a case, but where children are involved, established protocols giving children a higher place in the safety heirarchy continue to work
Do they? Kids are still being molested on a daily basis. They were so back in the day when laws were MORE restrictive.

and the evidence isn't strong enough to want to change it. (Ever wonder why kids are always first into the best lifeboat?)
Isn't it a better rule to make sure you have enough lifeboats?
 
I know there's a little debate going on, but I just thought I'd throw my opinion in as well. :)

"Little"? :D

Welcome to the forum. I'm not going to ask "which organ". ;)

Everything should be legal as long as everyone involved is unharmed, consenting, and of age.
That's great, it sounds really good and on first gloss is something that sounds like something everyone could or should agree with, but unfortunately is just another emotive slogan as much as Athy's "not one child".

(which I can't imagine should ever be younger than seventeen). Of course, complications will always arise over exact definitions and what have you, but I think that's a good set of guidelines.
The devil is in the details, as they say. It is just those details, or the lack thereof, that limits its utility.
 
What do you think about the scenario of an adult consenting to the distribution of pornographic imagery of themselves taken when they were a minor (for example, a 30 year old, who made a video of themselves masterbating when they were 13, who now seeks to distribute this video to other interested adult parties)?

I think the scenario would never happen. It's like the kind of question I've been asked by people who seem almost offended that I'm not pursuing martial arts training: "What if you're walking down an alley and you're suddenly surrounded by 16 ninjas? Are you just going to give up and die?"
 
I know there's a little debate going on, but I just thought I'd throw my opinion in as well. :)

Everything should be legal as long as everyone involved is unharmed, consenting, and of age (which I can't imagine should ever be younger than seventeen). Of course, complications will always arise over exact definitions and what have you, but I think that's a good set of guidelines.

Add my welcome to that. You've picked a doozy to join in on and you appear to have the same beliefs as my buddy Piscivore!

I'd go along with all of that (and this is where P & me differ) if you could change the "everyone involved" to "anyone", I'd be ecstatically agreeing with you both. My buddy Kevin, on the sidelines from the same state as Jacko Read, agrees with you as well, but wants the age limit to be around 11-13.
 
"What if you're walking down an alley and you're suddenly surrounded by 16 ninjas? Are you just going to give up and die?"
You're supposed to say, "Pull out the two Magnums, let one of them have it between the eyes, splattering his brains against the wall, then scream out to the rest, WHO'S NEXT!" "Why, what would you do?"
 
"What if you're walking down an alley and you're suddenly surrounded by 16 ninjas? Are you just going to give up and die?"

Tell them "C'mon, guys. Let's go get sushi, and not pay!"

Oh, wait- that's probably why the ninjas are there in the first place.

Sigh, I guess I'll just agree to finally make a dent in what I owe the Fugu Master, then take the ninjas out and get us all some saki and tentacle porn.

ETA: Wait, only sixteen? Where are Koji and Junichiro? Are those crazy kids trying to make an office romance work again? Silly boys. Good luck to them.
 
Last edited:
You sound like a cop. I guess I live in a better neighborhood, I've never seen a child being treated in any manner that suggested immediate intervention on my part was necessary. Of course, it may come down to what your definition of "abuse" and "neglect" is, but that's a whole different issue.
Neglect. Kid constantly sick & underfed. Poorly dressed, usually in ragged t-shirts and skimpy shorts in mid-winter. Action: Talk to parents at once, making them aware that failure to act will result in immediate contact with government agency. Etc.

The abuse I'm talking about is physical - usually with implement - and would classify as assault in any country I'd live in.

{Just a little side-issue here. It's funny that you think I sound like a cop. I have no record, but the cops and I have had a few run-ins over the years. There are quite a few people who would find that comment fairly amusing, to say the least.}

Yeah, see- This isn't something I have to deal with. It may be that people on my street, in my town, keep to themselves more. I don't know any of my immediate neighbors.

If I did encounter an angry drunk, I'd probably call the cops.
Yeah, I've lived in neighbourhoods like that, too and seen the women with the suddenly-broken arms and dark glasses/heavy makeup combo. A lot of people walk around with their eyes closed.

Have no fear - my first call is to the cops, but on occasion, maybe it isn't appropriate to call them just yet, a very nosy neighbour can sometimes solve the problem, so check first.

The example of the drunk guy was a situation where he was about to force his girlfriend to let him take a baby away with him in a car which he was about to drive. He was so drunk and incapapble that he was only just getting free of his wife/woman. The cops would have been far too late and I went and suggested that he get the #### [OMG, I typed it in and only saw when I checked! I am lmao!] out and leave the baby with its mother. He did. I didn't enjoy that and don't want to have to do it again. These things aren't everyday occurrences, but an accumulated volume over the last 15-20 years since I started noticing it myself. There are lots of things going on that many people just don't see or hear.

That kind of intimite social sanction seems to work only in relatively small towns. When you get to be a large city, neigborhood turnover gets to be too high. Also, there are things like poverty- poor people move around faster, keeping the neighborhood dynamic unstable. That's why I think that the professional police force is the better solution.
APOLOGIST! (Smiley thing to show that no offence is intended)

It doesn't work in small towns, either. When people do notice, they do the Horatio Nelson job and look with the wrong eye. Apathy rules. How many cops do we need? One on every street corner?
It's a great emotive statement to rally the troops around a flag. There's no way to argue against it without tacitly advocating hurting at least one child, killing at least one innocent man.

Unfortunately, if we are going to deal realistically with the problem our human imperfection requires we find a less idealised standard.
This is where I disagree and why I quoted my bastardised version of Edmund Burke.

If we strive for less than perfection, we're cheating. If we don't aim for 100%, what becomes a benchmark, and why? Why is 95% acceptable, why not 75%? It's precisely why any attempt to re-institiute the death penalty here or in England (and most of Western Europe) is immediately stopped - because we won't accept that one dead innocent is worth it, despite its obvious advantages.

You've declared your argument - you're prepared to accept that harm may be a consequence and can take that as an end result. I can't.
So err on the side of more freedoms, not less. Until we do know.

So err on the side of more freedoms, not less.
In any other group than kids, I'd most likely agree.
Not quite. You are missing two big ones.
First, eliminating restrictions on explicit materials that did not cause harm to children would confirm and strengthen freedoms for other less inflammitory but still potentionally objectionable or offensive speech.
That's drawing a fairly long bow, I think. I'm always going to see issues with kids in a different light. I think most people do, which is precisely why these laws and discussions on them are so convoluted.
Second, and more important, it would set a different standard, grounded in logic and reason, for making these decisions than the flawed, emotive, superstitious criteria we have now.
You're putting the cart before the horse, here. I think the best case you could put is that there may be positive results and there may be no negative ones. Even change "may" to "probably", it's still a long way from "grounded in logic and reason".

Whatever assertions are made, one thing is clear, the jury is still out on this. Even Kevin was unable to come up with better than conflicting evidence. I don't really think superstition comes into those laws to any greater degree than any other. It sure as hell plays no part in my assessment.
So? My standard is to lessen harm to children, not "winning" against organisations or people I might not personally like.
No, but a perceived victory will encourage them to use legislation as the thin edge of the lever. The winning/losing has nothing to do with it.

Let's go on the slippery slope of legislation for a minute. New rule: any porn is allowed as long as nobody under 18 is involved. NAMBLA makes video, using 12/13 year old boy, playing a schoolboy. The boy, in life has been groomed for years and will swear to being 18 and holds fake ID proclaiming him to be 18. Make him an Asian boy - half the 23 year old ones I meet look 12, never mind 18! They can distribute the film, show ID to cops who investigate, sworn statement by the boy, how are they going to be caught? Yes, that's drawing an even longer bow, but it is a potential outcome.

If what you said is correct- that lessening restrictions on explicit materials helps them "stay within the bounds of fantasy" that could be a win-win for both them and "us"- why on earth would I want to eliminate that possibility just to make sure they always lose?
Find some bloody evidence to say that this happens and I'll be there with you on the steps of (................../insert local legislature)!
Not hardly. Strong emotion plays just as much a part. Look at the evolution debate- is there any "strong reason" on the side of the IDers? We are in far to close a battle to pretend that we will always win because we are correct in our logic and our facts.
Just their reasoning is always goddidit, so it's pretty hard to answer.
Do they? Kids are still being molested on a daily basis. They were so back in the day when laws were MORE restrictive.
Here again, we see the lack of hard data coming into play. Reporting has gone up, so the convictions have gone up. Has the rate of actual offending gone up? I don't know, does anyone?
Isn't it a better rule to make sure you have enough lifeboats?
Back to my perfection argument again. Try every available means to avoid taking to the lifeboats, but sure, if you need 'em, make sure you have plenty of good ones for all.
 
Neglect. Kid constantly sick & underfed. Poorly dressed, usually in ragged t-shirts and skimpy shorts in mid-winter. Action: Talk to parents at once, making them aware that failure to act will result in immediate contact with government agency. Etc.
Meh, skip the first step. It adds anonymity for yourself- minimising problems in future encounters with this neighbor and the risk of retaliation- and by putting it in the hands of an official agency adds legitimacy.

The abuse I'm talking about is physical - usually with implement - and would classify as assault in any country I'd live in.
See above.

{Just a little side-issue here. It's funny that you think I sound like a cop. I have no record, but the cops and I have had a few run-ins over the years. There are quite a few people who would find that comment fairly amusing, to say the least.}
The cops and firefighters I've known personally have the same hightened sense of personal responsibility for people in their immediate vicinity, whether on the job or off. It seems to be very stressful, as they none of them seemed all that happy and the divorce rate is high, but they are nice to have around when the s[rule 8] hits the fan.

Have no fear - my first call is to the cops, but on occasion, maybe it isn't appropriate to call them just yet, a very nosy neighbour can sometimes solve the problem, so check first.
You have my thoughts, above.

The example of the drunk guy was a situation where he was about to force his girlfriend to let him take a baby away with him in a car which he was about to drive. He was so drunk and incapapble that he was only just getting free of his wife/woman. The cops would have been far too late and I went and suggested that he get the #### [OMG, I typed it in and only saw when I checked! I am lmao!] out and leave the baby with its mother. He did. I didn't enjoy that and don't want to have to do it again. These things aren't everyday occurrences, but an accumulated volume over the last 15-20 years since I started noticing it myself. There are lots of things going on that many people just don't see or hear.
If I saw something like that, I might- MIGHT- step in. It's hard to say until it happens. I have never once seen anything like that, though. And it's not because I'm "blind" to it.

APOLOGIST! (Smiley thing to show that no offence is intended)
Why would I be offended? It is just a fact that the old tribalist notion of everyone in the community being responsible for each of his neighbors does not work in larger, non-insular, and fluid communities. It is far too much of a burden for the typical individual to bear, so a professional class was developed to shoulder the bulk of this responsibility. The same way that the costs of effective military defense is too great for the individual, thus the professional soldier. This is not a new thing, nor is it a failing- it's pretty basic to even early civilisation.

It doesn't work in small towns, either. When people do notice, they do the Horatio Nelson job and look with the wrong eye. Apathy rules.
No, civilisation rules. People, professional people- who are trained in the myriad of laws and in proper, safe and effective techniques, and who act under the auspices and control of the will of the people as expressed in the body of law- they administrate those rules.

What you are describing borders on vigilantism. Are you wearing spandex under your street clothes?

How many cops do we need? One on every street corner?
I dunno. Sounds like you need a few more that whatever you have now. My town seems to be okay, but then we just went on a hiring spree.

This is where I disagree and why I quoted my bastardised version of Edmund Burke.
I don't really see that your version added anything, but that's neither here nor there.

If we strive for less than perfection, we're cheating.
More high sounding but meaningless rhetoric. Set an impossible goal and you always fail.

If we don't aim for 100%, what becomes a benchmark, and why?
"As many as we can do something about". Because it is realistic.

Once I was browsing in a used bookstore and I saw this cheesy Sixties dime novel about doctors titled "That None Should Die", and I thought How dumb is that? Everybody dies. A lot of them under a doctor's care. Moreso now than in the Sixties.

Good drama, poor policy.

Let's use your example of the drunk driver. This is clearly a problem- I've had a friend die because of one. Is intercepting 100% of drinkers and manually intervening going to work? Of course not. Even if every single bar patron, minimum-wage convenience store clerk, and concerned family member devoted a signifigant amount of time to the project, a few would slip through. And no one- not even professionals, can devote that much attention to this one problem.

"100%" isn't a benchmark. It is posturing. And if we are going to get anywhere we have to put aside posturing and rhetoric and just do what can be done.

Why is 95% acceptable, why not 75%?
Why try and slap an arbitrary number on it?

It's precisely why any attempt to re-institiute the death penalty here or in England (and most of Western Europe) is immediately stopped - because we won't accept that one dead innocent is worth it, despite its obvious advantages.
"Obvious advantages"?
In any case, Capital Punishment and Freedom of Expression are very different situations.

You've declared your argument - you're prepared to accept that harm may be a consequence and can take that as an end result.
Harm is a consequence of life. Any human activity may concieveably cause harm to another. Our purpose is not to eliminate all harm. If I've given you that impression, you've misread.

Yes you damn well can, or you would have raised your kids in that bubble.

In any other group than kids, I'd most likely agree.
That's drawing a fairly long bow, I think. I'm always going to see issues with kids in a different light.
Why? Are they a different species? Some fundamental difference in biology from the rest of humanity? A "baby brain" that is replaced in mid life by another, like a tooth?

I think most people do, which is precisely why these laws and discussions on them are so convoluted.
People approach subjects such as these with biases, emotions and superstitions as varied as they are, which is indeed whyt the laws and discussions are thusly convoluted. Which is precisely why we need to ditch the emotive posturing- posturing like "not one child harmed" and emotions like "this is my ickle widdle pwecious baby and he needs to be hugged extra tight so the baddie waddies don't get him"- and get to the objective core of the issue.

You're putting the cart before the horse, here. I think the best case you could put is that there may be positive results and there may be no negative ones.
No, the best case I can put forward is the one I did. Show me why the standard of only criminalising explicit materials that actually involve harming children in their production results in children being harmed. to do this, you are going to have to:

Show me how someone else's fantasy hurts me or my daughter.
Show me the direct correlation that shows the majority of people who fantasise about sex with children go on to harm children.
Show me the direct correlation that exposure to the material in question causes people to harm shildren that otherwise wouldn't.
Show me how and why commercially produced explicit material "porn" harms children, while similar material that falls under the aegis of art does not. And after that, show a clear and universal definition to distinguish the two.

Even change "may" to "probably",
I didn't say "may" or "probably". I said there are two important positive results, and I told you why and how.

it's still a long way from "grounded in logic and reason".
May be. But it's closer than "won't somebody think of the children" hand waving.

Whatever assertions are made, one thing is clear, the jury is still out on this.
That's not what the moralist would have you believe. That's not the immpression you yourself are putting out there.

Even Kevin was unable to come up with better than conflicting evidence.
Kevin's arguing something different than me. I haven't even read his links, because as I said, I'm not talking about consent right now.

I don't really think superstition comes into those laws to any greater degree than any other.

su·per·sti·tion–noun
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

One, four and five seem to prevail in most people's ideas on this subject, and frankly whether it is in "any greater degree than any other" is irrelevant. Any non-zero degree is too much.

It sure as hell plays no part in my assessment.
"but where children are involved, established protocols giving children a higher place in the safety heirarchy continue to work "

"lots of parents allow kids to sexualise themslves by learning about life earlier than necessary from inappropriate tv/video/DVD/gaming/PC life. This problem could be made to largely disappear just with a small amount of supervision."

"How are you going to able to show cause and effect in this situation? I think asking for evidence of a believable nature is a bit like asking for Jesus' nails to be displayed. You're looking for something which doesn't exist. Or maybe you expect to gain honest answers from convicted paedophiles."

Seems to from here.

No, but a perceived victory will encourage them to use legislation as the thin edge of the lever. The winning/losing has nothing to do with it.
And yet the standard of "not harming kids" kicks that lever away- assuming, for now, we maintain that adult sex with a minor child of sufficient age discrepancy constitutes harm, in a legal sense if nothing else.

I'll repeat it again:
"Having or creating fantasies about, distributing, selling, or passing around explicit material about, talking about, writing about, singing about, shouting about, online chatting about, or harbouring a desire for f[rule 8]ing a child is not f[rule 8]ing a child.
F[rule 8]ing a child and photographing, video taping, or otherwise recording f[rule 8]ing a child is f[rule 8]ing a child."
That neatly cuts out those nasty NAMBLA-ites.

Let's go on the slippery slope of legislation for a minute. New rule: any porn is allowed as long as nobody under 18 is involved.
Any explicit material. Porn is a red herring. And not "involved"- "harmed".
Deliberately and egregiously harmed.

NAMBLA makes video, using 12/13 year old boy, playing a schoolboy. The boy, in life has been groomed for years and will swear to being 18 and holds fake ID proclaiming him to be 18.
Falsifying evidence and witness tampering do not mitigate the act.

Make him an Asian boy - half the 23 year old ones I meet look 12, never mind 18!
Oh, that's nice. :oldroll:

They can distribute the film, show ID to cops who investigate, sworn statement by the boy, how are they going to be caught? Yes, that's drawing an even longer bow, but it is a potential outcome.
It is a potential outcome in any criminal situation, which is precisely why we let professionals do this job and not well-meaning citizens.

And I do believe it was me that said that NO solution was going to be 100% effective, wasn't it?

Further, simple economic pressure is going to lean against them taking the huge risk of using an illegal 13yo if using a young looking 18 or 19 year old is legal. Which is what we see now.

If we outlaw even the ersatz "young lookers", that pressure evaporates. Doesn't this put the 13yo at more risk?

The only difference your scenario is going to make is that these boys are locked up tight and never see the light of day- which is just what we have now.

Find some bloody evidence to say that this happens and I'll be there with you on the steps of (................../insert local legislature)!
The point is we don't know yet, so let's not shut down the possiblity because of some pretty slogans that make us feel like we're accomplishing something.

Just their reasoning is always goddidit, so it's pretty hard to answer.
No, it isn't hard to answer. "Goddidit" is not a reasonable or logical position. The only thing the IDers have is emotion and superstition. Yet they still get laws passed. Thus, "To change a law requires a strong reasoning" is false.

Here again, we see the lack of hard data coming into play. Reporting has gone up, so the convictions have gone up. Has the rate of actual offending gone up? I don't know, does anyone?
I don't know. Does it matter if the offence rate has gone up or not? The point is, even the harshest restrictions did not and will not eliminate the problem, but they do cause other, very serious problems.

What we are talking about here, in essence, is treating a tapeworm by telling the patient to swallow uranium pellets. Tapeworms are a serious problem, no question. The pellets may even make the tapeworm leave- or they may not. But we do know the patient willl be too concerned about their hair falling out and the blood they're caughing up to care anymore.

Back to my perfection argument again. Try every available means to avoid taking to the lifeboats, but sure, if you need 'em, make sure you have plenty of good ones for all.
Then you don't need a special rule about putting kids first in the best ones, do you? :)
 
we're covering old ground a lot now, same arguments, same result.

No, civilisation rules. People, professional people- who are trained in the myriad of laws and in proper, safe and effective techniques, and who act under the auspices and control of the will of the people as expressed in the body of law- they administrate those rules.
Ever read Gulliver's Travels?
I dunno. Sounds like you need a few more that whatever you have now. My town seems to be okay, but then we just went on a hiring spree.
Plus, I think you'll find Canada is one of the less violent places.
More high sounding but meaningless rhetoric. Set an impossible goal and you always fail.
Better than setting "fail" as the goal.
"As many as we can do something about". Because it is realistic.
And when the going gets tough, "We're doing our best" and the goalpost gets lowered again. Christ, man. Have you lived at all outside of a bubble yourself? Canada - or the bit you live in - must be far nicer than the bits I know, if "good enough" meets your standards. If you teach, do you try to get your students to attain 100% or 50%? 50% is a pass, hell, it's "good enough".
Let's use your example of the drunk driver. This is clearly a problem- I've had a friend die because of one. Is intercepting 100% of drinkers and manually intervening going to work? Of course not. Even if every single bar patron, minimum-wage convenience store clerk, and concerned family member devoted a signifigant amount of time to the project, a few would slip through. And no one- not even professionals, can devote that much attention to this one problem.
Uh, yeah. That's why there are very stiff penalties for drunk driving and far worse ones if you're dumb enough to kill someone while doing it. That's exactly my point. Harm caused = unquestionably illegal.
Harm is a consequence of life. Any human activity may concieveably cause harm to another.
Quite.

And that's why we have laws prohibiting behaviour which is likely to cause harm. You appear to have joined my side of the argument, so good on you for that.
Why? Are they a different species? Some fundamental difference in biology from the rest of humanity? A "baby brain" that is replaced in mid life by another, like a tooth?
Mate. It isn't just humans, you know. Even birds will try to protect their offspring against predators.
No, the best case I can put forward is the one I did. Show me why the standard of only criminalising explicit materials that actually involve harming children in their production results in children being harmed. to do this, you are going to have to:

Show me how someone else's fantasy hurts me or my daughter.
Show me the direct correlation that shows the majority of people who fantasise about sex with children go on to harm children.
Show me the direct correlation that exposure to the material in question causes people to harm shildren that otherwise wouldn't.
Show me how and why commercially produced explicit material "porn" harms children, while similar material that falls under the aegis of art does not. And after that, show a clear and universal definition to distinguish the two.
No, I don't need to do anything. As I've pointed out - the laws are what they are. The chances of a law change are about the same as the sun exploding tomorrow - very, very remote. You've accepted that putting a petition out isn't going to be popular, so the onus is on me to do precisely nothing.

I said in my last post, you'd need to find very convincing proof to back your case. All you've done so far is posit a relativistic view for why certain things shouldn't be illegal. Find the evidence, carry out the studies, then come back and try and look for support from the middle faction.


That's not what the moralist would have you believe. That's not the immpression you yourself are putting out there.

su·per·sti·tion–noun
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

One, four and five seem to prevail in most people's ideas on this subject, and frankly whether it is in "any greater degree than any other" is irrelevant. Any non-zero degree is too much.


"but where children are involved, established protocols giving children a higher place in the safety heirarchy continue to work "

"lots of parents allow kids to sexualise themslves by learning about life earlier than necessary from inappropriate tv/video/DVD/gaming/PC life. This problem could be made to largely disappear just with a small amount of supervision."

"How are you going to able to show cause and effect in this situation? I think asking for evidence of a believable nature is a bit like asking for Jesus' nails to be displayed. You're looking for something which doesn't exist. Or maybe you expect to gain honest answers from convicted paedophiles."

Seems to from here.
I have no idea how you tie those relevant facts to superstition, but feel free.

Oh, that's nice. :oldroll:
Again, a fact draws an odd response. How many young Asian men do you know? I interview 5-10 weekly, mostly aged 21-23, university graduates looking for jobs. A huge numberof the male ones are extremely young-looking. Almost all of them have to produce ID every time, for cigarettes and booze. Why would me mentioning the fact that many of them look lots younger than their actual age draw the rolling eyes?


What we are talking about here, in essence, is treating a tapeworm by telling the patient to swallow uranium pellets. Tapeworms are a serious problem, no question. The pellets may even make the tapeworm leave- or they may not. But we do know the patient willl be too concerned about their hair falling out and the blood they're caughing up to care anymore.
That's an appalling analogy. Not allowing ersatz kiddie-porn isn't likely to leave someone coughing up their lungs now, is it?

The rest, I've left as you answered it yourself with this piece"
The point is we don't know yet, so let's not shut down the possiblity because of some pretty slogans that make us feel like we're accomplishing something.

"We don't know yet".

Finis.
 
Dave1001 said:
What do you think about the scenario of an adult consenting to the distribution of pornographic imagery of themselves taken when they were a minor (for example, a 30 year old, who made a video of themselves masterbating when they were 13, who now seeks to distribute this video to other interested adult parties)?
I think the scenario would never happen. It's like the kind of question I've been asked by people who seem almost offended that I'm not pursuing martial arts training: "What if you're walking down an alley and you're suddenly surrounded by 16 ninjas? Are you just going to give up and die?"

Why do you think this will never happen? In an age of near ubiquitous camera phones, security cameras, and web cameras, I think it's more likely than not to happen, on a fairly regular basis. I don't think it's as unlikely as 16 ninjas suddenly surrounding a typical person in an alley. Why do you think differently about this?
 
Isn't this as close as you can come in reality to the ideal that a lot of you are preaching here? Somebody of age pretending to be only 12.
However, it doesn't seem to help make paedophiles stay away from actual children, on the contrary!
 
Is sexual perversion or dishonest bigotry more harmful?

You don't see anybody trying to make a subtle distinction between the cases of rape where the victims suffer traumatic emotional damage for the rest of their lives and the few cases where a woman for some reason is suddenly turned on by being raped and starts enjoying it - mainly because the latter are the imaginary, fictitious accounts of pornography, not of real life.

Ever consider the ramifications if you are wrong?
 
Last edited:
Isn't this as close as you can come in reality to the ideal that a lot of you are preaching here? Somebody of age pretending to be only 12.
However, it doesn't seem to help make paedophiles stay away from actual children, on the contrary!

Here's the info from the link:


(AP) A school alerted authorities to a 29-year-old sex offender who tried to enroll there, pretending he was just 12, in what sheriff's officials said may have been an attempt to lure children into sexual abuse.

Apparently shaving his body hair and wearing makeup, Neil Havens Rodreick II conned two men he was living with and having sex with into believing he was a young boy, the Yavapai County sheriff's office said Friday.

"This is the weirdest case I've seen in 18 years," sheriff's spokeswoman Susan Quayle said. "If it wasn't so sad it would be funny."

Lonnie Stiffler, 61, and Robert James Snow, 43, "were very upset when the detectives told them they had been having a sexual relationship with a 29-year-old man and not a preteen boy," Quayle said.


I don't see how you conclude from this that Rodereick didn't (inadvertantly) help (the apparent pedophiles) Stiffler (ha!) and Snow stay away from actual children, or how you conclude he did "the contrary" of that for those two men. I still think it leaves the question open that if pseudo-child prostitution (and this is beyond pseudo child pornography) were legal, would it reduce sexual abuse of actual children. And of course this is all based on a single data point, too.
 
Last edited:
I don't see how you conclude from this that Rodereick didn't (inadvertantly) help (the apparent pedophiles) Stiffler (ha!) and Snow stay away from actual children, or how you conclude he did "the contrary" of that for those two men.
You might as well conclude that selling fake drugs keeps people away from the real thing. It probably does until they discover that it does nothing for their withdrawal symptoms, i.e. for appoximately five minutes.
I still think it leaves the question open that if pseudo-child prostitution (and this is beyond pseudo child pornography) were legal, would it reduce sexual abuse of actual children. And of course this is all based on a single data point, too.
Prostitutes dress up in all kinds of costumes and engage in all kinds of role playing depending on the tastes of their clientele. It probably satisfies the people whose sexuality is into that particular kind of thing, like for instance sado-masochists who don't want to actually harm or be harmed by their partners.
 
Ever read Gulliver's Travels?
Not in a real long time. Explain how it relates.

Plus, I think you'll find Canada is one of the less violent places.
Why is that?

Better than setting "fail" as the goal.
I didn't do that. There aren't only the two possible results, "perfection" and "failure"- that was my point.

And when the going gets tough, "We're doing our best" and the goalpost gets lowered again.
How? If you never set an arbitrary goalpost at all how can it move?

Christ, man. Have you lived at all outside of a bubble yourself?
Yes.

Canada - or the bit you live in -
Again, I don't live and have never lived in Canada. I just have an inordinate fondness for the Kids in the Hall and Tim Hortons coffee

If you teach, do you try to get your students to attain 100% or 50%? 50% is a pass, hell, it's "good enough".
You get them to do the best they can. Not every kid is going to be an "A+" student- why put them through the hell of trying to make a "C" student push that hard? You're going to make him hate school and make yourself hate teaching.

Now, understand, this does not mean you don't try to push him up to a "B". But coming at him with the attitude that "anything less that 100% is failure" is what makes kids commit suicide. Which is what we see happening in Japan.

Uh, yeah. That's why there are very stiff penalties for drunk driving and far worse ones if you're dumb enough to kill someone while doing it. That's exactly my point.
You missed my point entirely.
Do the "stiff penalties" eliminate drunk driving "100%"?
Will hightened citizen involvement in this issue- even up to the detriment of every other aspect of their lives- eliminate drunk driving "100%"?

Harm caused = unquestionably illegal.
Well, now there is an important point to make about the difference between accidental and deliberate harm and degrees of harm, but drunk driving doesn't split those hairs.

Quite.

And that's why we have laws prohibiting behaviour which is likely to cause harm. You appear to have joined my side of the argument, so good on you for that.
Really, I see it the other way. It's pretty clear how drunk driving has a high likelyhood of causing harm- someone is operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which has been proven to hamper their capability to do so, and this class of vehicles has been proven to cause catastrophic damage, even death, when misused. We have evidence to support both these facts.

We do not have evidence that all drinkers will attempt to drive, that reading stories about drinking will "encourage" drivers to drink first, that even wanting to tie one on and get behind the wheel without actually doing so will harm anyone.

Mate. It isn't just humans, you know. Even birds will try to protect their offspring against predators.
Their own, yes. Not every baby bird in their species equally. Many will actually kill baby birds, even related ones, to promote their own.
Why do you "see issues with kids in a different light"?

No, I don't need to do anything. As I've pointed out - the laws are what they are. The chances of a law change are about the same as the sun exploding tomorrow - very, very remote.
That's patently false.
ETA: The laws will change. as long as there is difference of opinion the laws will change. What I'm interested in is making sure they chage to the side of more freedoms, not less.

Look how much laws have changed- at least here in the US- in just the last 30 years. Maybe your misunderstanding of this is why you feel the need to play Batman, I don't know.

You've accepted that putting a petition out isn't going to be popular, so the onus is on me to do precisely nothing.
We've covered this, and you clearly didn't listen. A petition isn't the only course of action, and unless you are trying get a measure on a ballot- which is specifically done with a petition- it is a pretty fruitless course of action. Your thinking in this area seems very limited.

Besides that, I thought you found the idea of "doing nothing" reprehensible?

I said in my last post, you'd need to find very convincing proof to back your case.
Indeed. So I said. That's why I'n not demanding that these ideas be put in place immediately.

All you've done so far is posit a relativistic view for why certain things shouldn't be illegal. Find the evidence, carry out the studies, then come back and try and look for support from the middle faction.
Before we do even that, we have to convince people the studies are even worth doing- and that means hacking away at millenia of accumulated superstition and ignorance.

Sort of like had to be done to learn that Blacks were not a sub-species of human, or that alcohol was not the Devil's ass-sweat.

ETA: For evidence of such fear, superstition and ignorance, I can point to no better evidence than some of the shining examples of enlightened humanity that have elected to comment on the story in dann's latest link.

I have no idea how you tie those relevant facts to superstition, but feel free.
Definition five.

Again, a fact draws an odd response. How many young Asian men do you know? I interview 5-10 weekly, mostly aged 21-23, university graduates looking for jobs. A huge numberof the male ones are extremely young-looking. Almost all of them have to produce ID every time, for cigarettes and booze. Why would me mentioning the fact that many of them look lots younger than their actual age draw the rolling eyes?
The fact that you singled out Asians alone for that attribute. I just turned 39, all early twenties look like children to me.

Maybe I'm just reacting to that new guy trying to promote racism as scientific over in R&P.

That's an appalling analogy. Not allowing ersatz kiddie-porn isn't likely to leave someone coughing up their lungs now, is it?
Restricting speech that is not harmful has a commensurate effect.

The rest, I've left as you answered it yourself with this piece"
"We don't know yet".
"...so let's not shut down the possiblity because of some pretty slogans that make us feel like we're accomplishing something."

If you only read the parts you want to hear you miss important information.

No, American. :p
 
Last edited:
Isn't this as close as you can come in reality to the ideal that a lot of you are preaching here? Somebody of age pretending to be only 12.
Not for me, since this involves actual attempts to have sex with children, and not just fantasy.

If Stiffler and Snow were content to bone this guy and pretend he was younger, that wouldn't be any of our business. But that's not what they did.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom