• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Edges Of Child Pornography: What Should Be Legal, What Shouldn't?

Nice try, Dave, but please go back and read Esperdome's post again.
When you're done, please tell us who presented themselves to minors in this thread posing as 'anti-paedos' "in the process of getting to know each other" ...
What?! There are no minors participating in this thread? What a disappointment!
... As a law student ...
Like I already said a number of times: When people have their heads full of law, they cannot think straight!
 
In this forum? No, I don't think so.In this forum we have had a very hard time trying to convince some of you that kiddie porn (or your invention: psedo child pornography) is not a very good idea and that it should be discouraged.

Lack of hard evidence tends to do that around here.

Apart from that I agree with everything else you said there. Evidence that child pornography causes harm is unavailable, as is evidence that criminalisation prevents harm.

Yes, the legal status of child pornography was the subject of this thread. However, some of you - you in particular - wanted to defend the right to produce, distribute and enjoy it with arguments defending sex with children and kiddie porn. (Always the alleged harmless kind, of course.)

No straw please. It's tautological that any rational, liberal person should defend the right to freely produce, distribute and enjoy any damn thing if it is actually harmless.

If it is not harmless, on the other hand, then restrictions on producing, distributing and/or enjoying it can certainly be discussed.

Your problem is that you're convinced it is not harmless, but you have not been convinced by any evidence you can show us. Thus we have an impasse.

Now you are saying that it is not allowed to criticize these arguments concerning sex with children and kiddie porn unless one relates it to "the legal status of child pornography"?!! Like I already said a number of times: When people have their heads full of law, they cannot think straight!

It's a free forum and you are allowed to do whatever you want. However if you don't have any actual evidence, and you aren't discussing the actual topic, I don't think you can complain too much when people aren't interested.

PS I would love to hear how you would teach the paedophiles to distinguish between harmful sex with children and the alleged harmless, good-fun kind of sex with children that you seem to advocate.

I can't help you with that, Dann. In the current legal climate I strongly advise you to avoid sex with children entirely.
 
Sorry, with so many freaks and pervs running around, I would have to go with banning all of the above. It's not worth the risk of even suggesting to them that child/adult sex is acceptable.

Wait a sec- since when did literature or film that illustrated immoral behavior "suggest acceptablitiy"? Murder, infidelity, and theft are illustrated in literature and film, but doesn't suggest acceptablity. If its the idea that child-erotic literature and film causes paedophiles to commit these acts, I think thats just as inappropriate as saying that violent video games caused the Columbine shootings.

These desires dont well up in people because of child-erotic literature and film; its the other way around.
 
We are still talking about porn, not literature. And again: Most people are able to distinguish between Lolita and kiddie porn.
 
Last edited:
No straw please. It's tautological that any rational, liberal person should defend the right to freely produce, distribute and enjoy any damn thing if it is actually harmless.
And I have argued why I don't think that it is harmless. But you are right: Hard evidence that it does - "it" being the invention: the pseudo child pornography, that is - probably does not exist, which for you seems to be reason enough to reject any argument against it.
If it is not harmless, on the other hand, then restrictions on producing, distributing and/or enjoying it can certainly be discussed.
Nobody seems to prevent you from doing so.
I don't think you can complain too much when people aren't interested.
I don't think that I have complained that people aren't interested. I have complained when you and others pretended that my point was in any way related to the question of legalisation/banning.
I can't help you with that, Dann. In the current legal climate I strongly advise you to avoid sex with children entirely.
I strongly advise you and all other adults to avoid having sex with children entirely in any kind of 'climate'!
 
Last edited:
No, a desire still remains a desire; a desire that hasn't been put into practice.
And where does a "desire that hasn't been put into practice" reside, Hmm? In the pedophile's bedside table? In a nice little box on his coffee table, perhaps?

idea
• noun
1 a thought or suggestion about a possible course of action.
2 a mental impression.
3 a belief.
4 (the idea) the aim or purpose.

A "desire" or a "want" fit well within the first definition.

That somebody suddenly turns into a paedophile? I don't think so. It wouldn't be that sudden.
Again, on what basis do you make this assesment? You have none.

Neither would falling out of being a paedophile which is one of the reason why kiddie porn should be discouraged.
You don't know. I don't know. But given that you later say that you feel that pedophiles should be treated, and this may well be the case, wouldn't it be important to determine the actual causes of this disorder and an effective treatment, rather than basing it on emotionally generated, completely uninformed opinon?

As a definition, however, it is very good.
No, it isn't. Really.

No, a fantasy is still a fantasy, a desire still a desire.
Wrong. See above.

What do mean with get to judge?
"Kiddie porn is bad and should be discouraged." That's a judgement.

Head full of law again?
Head full of English.

I don't have to ask anybody to let me dislike adults' fantasies about having sex with children. I can dislike it and present you with my reasons for disliking it on my own. See moral
I don't speak or read German, sorry.

moral • noun
2 (morals) standards of behaviour, or principles of right and wrong.

Distinguishing between "principles of right and wrong" is judging.

Not all judgements are legal.
judgement(also judgment)

• noun
1 the ability to make considered decisions or form sensible opinions.
2 an opinion or conclusion.
3 a decision of a law court or judge.


Nothing wrong with abstraction. A lot wrong with abstractions that choose to neglect aspects of reality: idea, as you use it, is an abstraction from feelings, fantasies, desires etc. You choose not to distinguish between them and treat them all as ideas.
I treat all mental activity generated by the brain the same, yes. In this way the use of "idea" is not an abstraction from feelings, fantasies, or desires, but a simple application of the relevant definition. See above.

In any case, your hair-splitting is for naught, because I'm not arguing "freedom of ideas" but "freedom of expression":

self-expression
• noun
the expression of one’s feelings or thoughts, especially in writing, art, music, or dance.

So even if you want to count them as distict, which you seem to but I do not, they both are included.

On purpose! Not the categories so much as the precise point where one becomes the other.
So how does one decide which to encourage and which to not?

Wiki's explanation of Pornography contradicts itself.
Exactly. Most of our cultures' attitudes and thinking about this subject are still mired in the Victorian era.

"Immoral" was never my point!
Legality was not your point, morality is not your point. What was your point?

There are a lot of ways of ruining people's lives that are considered very moral.
Name one.

The particular fantasies catering to paedophiles are not particularly vague.
You don't know- you do not know what they are.

Do you have any idea what the most popular form of "kiddie porn" on the web is right now? I bet you wouldn't ever guess.

Well, for one, I don't think that anybody is masturbating to your last post ...
If only... *sigh* :o

They wouldn't be suited for that purpose, since they don't contain fantasies about children being undressed or made to touch or be touched inappropriately (for lack of a better word) by adults.
And your expertise on what people want to masturbate to comes from where?

No, what they are doing is exchanging porn. You know the difference, you just don't want to acknowledge it.
I wanted to hear what you thought it was. We have very different ideas about a lot of things, I don't want to mistake you.

What is wrong with exchanging porn?

No, a couple of times you have tried to impress us with your extensive knowledge or pornography and you may be right, I don't know.
So then you admit you have no basis for any of your claims about pornography.

If you receive cable TV in Copenhagen you have access to two porn channels, one 'soft' = no actual penetration, the other one 'hard' = penetration and close ups.
That's it? You poor fellow.

Still, that's better than I get on my cable.

I'm pretty sure that this covers 90% of porn;
Not even close. That's barely the tip of the f[rule 8]g iceberg, so to speak.

let's call it mainstream porn. I guess the majority of the remaining 10 % would be gay porn, let's call it mainstream gay porn, and what is left would then be SM, urine, bondage etc. And for a very small discerning minority would follow 'under the counter' sex with animals etc.
In my experience BDSM seems to have a slight edge on "straight" sex, and Gay sex eclipses both. Pedo and pseudo-pedo is right up there too. I won't pretend at citing percentages, but your "mainstream" porn seems to be in a clear minority.

Everybody knows approximately what kiddie porn consists of.
If you are "everybody" then "everybody" is wrong.

It's been shown on Danish TV with faces and other body parts covered. You may consider yourself an expert because you have actually seen it. The rest of us don't need to see it.
Such an enlightened, skeptical view you have.

I hope for their sake that lawyers and judges are able to stop watching the world through the glasses of jurisprudence when they leave the office.
Why? And through what lenses would you have them look?

What doctors have to do with this is beyond me.
All the occupations I mentioned, and many many more- if not almost all- are heavily regulated.

The problem with having a head full of law is that the law does not look at things to find out what they are.
Bullsh[rule 8]t. Prove it.

That is what science does.
Indeed, and it does it best- but hardly exclusively. And is there some reason you feel that law cannot make use of science?

The law looks at things in order to establish which chapter and statute of the law covers it.
Enforcement does. Not legislation. Apparently not "having a head full of law" = ignorance. Is that what you are advocating? It's shaping up to look like you are.

That is a completely different thing. Science categorizes the world according to the laws you find in the world (the Swedish scientist Linné, for instance). The law, jurisprudence, catetorises the world not according to the world's categories, but according to the law's!
That's just weak-ass equivocation.

science
• noun
1 the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
2 a systematically organized body of knowledge on any subject.

No mention of "the laws you find in the world", certainly no suggestion that is the criteria by which knowledge is "systematically organised".

law
• noun
1 a rule or system of rules recognized by a country or community as regulating the actions of its members and enforced by the imposition of penalties.
2 such rules as a subject of study or as the basis of the legal profession.
3 statute law and the common law.
4 a statement of fact to the effect that a particular natural or scientific phenomenon always occurs if certain conditions are present.
5 a rule defining correct procedure or behaviour in a sport.
6 something having binding force or effect: his word was law.
7 (the law) informal the police.

Oh, there we have a mention of science and law- there in number 4. But gee, it only talks about one type of fact statement, not the basis for the syystematic organisation of a body of knowledge.

Also note that Law, as you used it above, does not "categorise the world", it "regulate the actions of [a country or community's] members".

You do the same thing here, which is why you refuse to see things for what they are.
No, sorry, that's you. You have demonstrated you have formed your opinions on this subject out of complete ignorance. How, exactly, does one "see things for what they are" without ever looking?

You would rather see them as something else in order to make them fit into the slots where you would like to place them:
Again, that is you. You cannot even give a coherent criteria for what constitutes "kiddie porn" beyond "it's obvious", and when pressed admit to the fact the definitions we have are fuzzy and inadequate.

'kiddie porn is an idea, the law talks about free exchange of ideas, consequently the law says (or ought to say) OK to kiddie porn ...'
Wrong.

"Freedom of expression" is not limited to "free exchange of ideas", although that is included.
 
And where does a "desire that hasn't been put into practice" reside, Hmm? In the pedophile's bedside table? In a nice little box on his coffee table, perhaps?
In your head and body if you happen to be a paedophile. Totally stupid question!

But given that you later say that you feel that pedophiles should be treated, and this may well be the case, wouldn't it be important to determine the actual causes of this disorder and an effective treatment, rather than basing it on emotionally generated, completely uninformed opinon?
That would be a very good idea. Has anybody in this thread so far been opposed to the idea that the causes of paedophilia be researched? It might be implied in the arguments of some of the people who think that paedophilia does not hurt children (or sometimes does not hurt children) that there is no need to research it – along the lines of ‘if it works, don’t fix it.’

dann said:
No, a fantasy is still a fantasy, a desire still a desire.
Wrong. See above.
Brilliant!

"Kiddie porn is bad and should be discouraged." That's a judgement.
Yes, it is! Who denied it?
I treat all mental activity generated by the brain the same, yes. In this way the use of "idea" is not an abstraction from feelings, fantasies, or desires, but a simple application of the relevant definition. See above.
In any case, your hair-splitting is for naught, because I'm not arguing "freedom of ideas" but "freedom of expression":
self-expression
• noun
the expression of one’s feelings or thoughts, especially in writing, art, music, or dance.
So even if you want to count them as distict, which you seem to but I do not, they both are included.
Yes, just like in my comparison with human behaviour: voting, talking, making love, killing your neighbour, exchanging kiddie porn and participating in a discussion are all examples of human behaviour. If you say that murder is to be discouraged, then you do not attempt to outlaw human behaviour. You are making the same kind of (false) abstraction when you reduce the production, distribution and use of kiddie porn to “ideas” or, now, “expression”. .
dann said:
On purpose! Not the categories so much as the precise point where one becomes the other.
So how does one decide which to encourage and which to not?
No problem. You simply tell the paedophile why sex with children is wrong and thus why reading material that encourages sex with children is wrong. I don’t think that Lolita encourages anybody to have sex with children, by the way.
Exactly. Most of our cultures' attitudes and thinking about this subject are still mired in the Victorian era.
I don’t know about your culture. In general it does not characterize mine.
Legality was not your point, morality is not your point. What was your point?
That it harms children when adults sexualize them, which is why it should be discouraged. And for the same reason reading material which encourages fantasies about having sex with children should be discouraged. I can see why the complexity of the theme makes it so very hard for you to grasp the concept …

dann said:
There are a lot of ways of ruining people's lives that are considered very moral.
Name one.
Jailing people, death row, drafting people for the army, killing enemy soldiers, cutbacks in expenditures which bereaves sick people of proper health care. I haven’t been able to find B. Brecht’s poem about this theme in English:

Es gibt viele Arten zu töten.
Man kann einem ein Messer in den Bauch stechen,
einem das Brot entziehen, einen von einer Krankheit nicht heilen,
einen in eine schlechten Wohnung stecken,
einen zum Selbstmord treiben,
durch Arbeit zu Tode schinden,
einen in den Krieg führen usw.
Nur weniges davon ist in unserem Staate verboten.

In my translation:
There are many ways of killing.
You can stick a knife into the guts
Deprive somebody of bread, refrain from curing somebody’s disease,
Place somebody in a bad apartment,
Drive somebody to commit suicide,
Work somebody to death,
Lead somebody into war etc.
Very few of those are not allowed in our nation.

You don't know- you do not know what they are.

Do you have any idea what the most popular form of "kiddie porn" on the web is right now? I bet you wouldn't ever guess.
No, you appear to be the expert. If it is at all relevant, please share with us. If not, please don’t!
And your expertise on what people want to masturbate to comes from where?
You appear to be the one who claims to be an expert!
What is wrong with exchanging porn?
Did anybody say that it was wrong? Sexualising children, kiddie porn, however, is.
So then you admit you have no basis for any of your claims about pornography.
No.
That's it? You poor fellow.
Again you’re trying to impress us with your extensive knowledge of pornography, even though nobody seems to care. Is it at all relevant?
You remind me of the way Danish astrologers argue in discussions with skeptics: They just love to come up with alleged technical terms of the trade to expose the skeptics' lack of expertise – be it at all relevant or not.
I'm pretty sure that this covers 90% of porn;
Not even close. That's barely the tip of the f[rule 8]g iceberg, so to speak.
I’m still pretty sure that it covers 90% of porn. That I don’t mention a fraction of the subgenres that you appear to have as your field of expertise does not really bother me.
In my experience BDSM seems to have a slight edge on "straight" sex, and Gay sex eclipses both. Pedo and pseudo-pedo is right up there too. I won't pretend at citing percentages, but your "mainstream" porn seems to be in a clear minority.
Well, ask your friends in the industry. You appear to want to turn this into a competition about who knows more about pornography. You don't have to! I’m sure it’s you!

Omitted: A lot of irrelevance.

Science versus law/jurisprudence:
law
• noun
1 a rule or system of rules recognized by a country or community as regulating the actions of its members and enforced by the imposition of penalties.
2 such rules as a subject of study or as the basis of the legal profession.
3 statute law and the common law.
4 a statement of fact to the effect that a particular natural or scientific phenomenon always occurs if certain conditions are present.
5 a rule defining correct procedure or behaviour in a sport.
6 something having binding force or effect: his word was law.
7 (the law) informal the police.

Oh, there we have a mention of science and law- there in number 4. But gee, it only talks about one type of fact statement, not the basis for the syystematic organisation of a body of knowledge.

Also note that Law, as you used it above, does not "categorise the world", it "regulate the actions of [a country or community's] members".
Yes, the law, jurisprudence, ‘regulates the actions of the citizens’ by telling them what they are allowed and not allowed to do and the punishment they can expect if they do it anyway and the law finds out. This is what distinguishes the law from the laws of nature. You don’t see a law of nature telling nature how to behave and threaten with severe consequences if it doesn’t. Nature obeys the laws of nature, a lot of the time people don’t obey the laws of jurisprudence. It is rather pathetic that you find it necessary to try to blur the difference between them simply because the word “law” is used in both cases.

No, sorry, that's you. You have demonstrated you have formed your opinions on this subject out of complete ignorance. How, exactly, does one "see things for what they are" without ever looking?
Well, there’s a reason why the law is always wearing a blindfold. If you took off yours, you might be able to see things for what they are.
Again, that is you. You cannot even give a coherent criteria for what constitutes "kiddie porn" beyond "it's obvious", and when pressed admit to the fact the definitions we have are fuzzy and inadequate.
They are neither fuzzy nor inadequate, so why “admit” anything?

Kiddie porn is any material produced with the intent of and used for the purpose of giving paedophiles a sexual kick. It may be pictures or films of children having sex with adults or with each other, or reading material based on reality or pure fantasy catering to the same need of paedophiles. You and the law may have a problem distinguishing between on the one hand literature dealing with the same themes and on the other hand porn. This, however, does not signify any conceptual distinction between the two “fuzzy”. That paedophiles may also be able to use non-pornographic photos of naked children as masturbatory material does not turn this material into kiddie porn, the same way a clog used as a hammer does not turn the clog into a hammer.
 
It is not his invention. It is when 18-19 year old girls perfom in explicit videos pretending to be younger. I just saw a doco on it last weekend, I think on Court TV.
There have been other definitions in this forum:
... pseudo child porn (pseudo meaning no actual children were involved in its production).
By the way, I notice that when I refer to what I have seen about kiddie porn on TV, it shows how little I know about this theme. When you, however, happen (?) to have watched ”a docu on it last weekend, I think on Court TV” (it = the so-called pseudo kiddie porn), you suddenly appear to be an expert!
 
I have already stated several times that, no, your assessment of what I say is not only wrong, you don't even seem to notice what I actually write:
Okay, so I've misunderstood your position. Could you then perhaps try to make it clearer? I understand that you find child pornography wrong. I also understand that you would not advocate against banning it. Are these statements correct?

If so, then in what way was my conclusion, i.e. that you didn't think it was wrong enough to ban it, wrong?

Please help me out here. It is difficult to have a discusion if the others point of view is unclear.
 
Last edited:
In your head and body if you happen to be a paedophile. Totally stupid question!
What part(s) of the body?

That would be a very good idea. Has anybody in this thread so far been opposed to the idea that the causes of paedophilia be researched?
Can you do good research if you go into it positive you know the answer and are unwilling to consider you don't?

It might be implied in the arguments of some of the people who think that paedophilia does not hurt children (or sometimes does not hurt children) that there is no need to research it – along the lines of ‘if it works, don’t fix it.’
You are still equating paedophilia with "porn". They are separate things.

Brilliant!
So now you agree that desire and fanstasy both fall into the realm of ideas?

Yes, it is! Who denied it?
When confronted with the difficulty with determining the status of explicit material you said: "Again we are dealing with a problem that only exists because people start to think like judges who have to decide in which category a particular publication belongs...
Why? Somehow I never had the problem, I never had to distinguish between the two. The only people who do, like I said, are judges or people who think like judges."
Which seems to give a negative view of making judgements.

Yes, just like in my comparison with human behaviour: voting, talking, making love, killing your neighbour, exchanging kiddie porn and participating in a discussion are all examples of human behaviour.
They are indeed. What you fail to recognise is that there are different kinds of human behaviour here:
Talking about voting and voting are not the same.
Writing an account of a lovemaking session is not making love.
Recording and distributing a song about killing your neighbor is not killing your neighbor.
Having or creating fantasies about, distributing, selling, or passing around explicit material about, talking about, writing about, singing about, shouting about, online chatting about, or harbouring a desire for f[rule 8]ing a child is not f[rule 8]ing a child.
F[rule 8]ing a child and photographing, video taping, or otherwise recording f[rule 8]ing a child is f[rule 8]ing a child.

You are equivocating again, my friend.

If you say that murder is to be discouraged, then you do not attempt to outlaw human behaviour.
If all you do is say "murder is to be discouraged", then leavve it at that, are you doing more than just empty posturing?
How are you going to "discourage it"? By clucking your tounge and wagging a self-righeous finger at anyone who talks about doing it?

You are making the same kind of (false) abstraction when you reduce the production, distribution and use of kiddie porn to “ideas” or, now, “expression”."
You are talking about someone taking action, and I am talking about someone sharing an idea or a feeling. You are the one equating the two. It isn't an abstraction, and I don't think that word means what you think it means, but it is still mistaken.

No problem. You simply tell the paedophile why sex with children is wrong and thus why reading material that encourages sex with children is wrong.
Okay, it's been said. Ghengis, all you other pedophiles out there: "Sex with children is wrong. Stop buying stuff that makes you want to have sex with children!"

I guess that takes care of that social evil, eh?

I don’t think that Lolita encourages anybody to have sex with children, by the way.
you think, but you don't know.

That it harms children when adults sexualize them, which is why it should be discouraged.
I am the parent of a thirteen year old girl, and if I may say so as a proud parent, one who is not bad looking. Unquestionably, there are adults who are looking at her "with bad intent" as the song says. How does this harm her, if they do nothing about it, and/or she knows how to be careful?

And for the same reason reading material which encourages fantasies about having sex with children should be discouraged.
Discouraged by whom, and how?

I can see why the complexity of the theme makes it so very hard for you to grasp the concept …
The only thing complex here is your convoluted justifications for your knee-jerk reaction. This is very easy for me.

Jailing people, death row,
If it is the result of an action the prisoner took, it was his descisions that ruined his life, no one else's. If it were not the result of a prisoner's ations, how is it moral?

drafting people for the army,
I'm sure there are plenty of former service members on this forum that will take exception to you characterising military service, even if involuntary, as "ruining a life".

killing enemy soldiers,
I'm not seeing how this automatically ruins the killer's life. As for the dead enemy soldier, even if conscripted there are choices to be made. Desertion, surrender, avoiding the draft. If he participates in the battle he is choosing that risk.

cutbacks in expenditures which bereaves sick people of proper health care.
How is that moral? It might be necessary, but how is it moral?

I haven’t been able to find B. Brecht’s poem about this theme in English:

Es gibt viele Arten zu töten.
Man kann einem ein Messer in den Bauch stechen,
einem das Brot entziehen, einen von einer Krankheit nicht heilen,
einen in eine schlechten Wohnung stecken,
einen zum Selbstmord treiben,
durch Arbeit zu Tode schinden,
einen in den Krieg führen usw.
Nur weniges davon ist in unserem Staate verboten.

In my translation:
There are many ways of killing.
You can stick a knife into the guts
Deprive somebody of bread, refrain from curing somebody’s disease,
Place somebody in a bad apartment,
Drive somebody to commit suicide,
Work somebody to death,
Lead somebody into war etc.
Very few of those are not allowed in our nation.
How is any of that even remotely moral, even if "allowed"?

No, you appear to be the expert. If it is at all relevant, please share with us. If not, please don’t!
I'm far from an expert, but I know enough to know you know far less.
The most popular form of "kiddie porn" right now- besides the aforementioned kind where adult females pretend to be younger, are non-nude "modeling" sites, where girls as young as seven are dressed provocatively and posed like Maxim or Victoria's secret models. Ostensibly, these sites are to promote these girls as models. Few if any have ever done so, according to what I have read.

And before you even think of casting aspersions- I have a thirteen year old daughter. I need to know what's going on out there.

You appear to be the one who claims to be an expert!
Am I?
Dann: "I'm pretty sure that this covers 90% of porn; "
"Everybody knows approximately what kiddie porn consists of. "
"They [previous forum posts] wouldn't be suited for that purpose [masturbation], since they don't contain fantasies about children being undressed or made to touch or be touched inappropriately (for lack of a better word) by adults."

Sexualising children, kiddie porn, however, is.
Wrong, but somehow not immoral?

Clarify please. "No", you have no basis for any of your claims about pornography, or "no", you do not admit you have no basis for any of your claims about pornography.

Again you’re trying to impress us with your extensive knowledge of pornography, even though nobody seems to care. Is it at all relevant?
The only thing I'm trying to impress upon you is your relative ignorance of the subject.

You remind me of the way Danish astrologers argue in discussions with skeptics: They just love to come up with alleged technical terms of the trade to expose the skeptics' lack of expertise – be it at all relevant or not.
Well, there is nothing "alleged" about any term I've used, a few seconds with Google or Wiki will so illustrate. And I would certainly expect any skeptic that was engaging in a debate, with astrologers or what have you, to have at least a basic understanding of what the claim is. How does one gather evidence in a vacuum?

Further, the only point I'm making is that you have formed an opinion on a subject you have no knowledge of.

I’m still pretty sure that it covers 90% of porn.
Without evidence. And disinclined to research it.

Quickly Googling I can't find any data where porn sites are categorised by type. I found one that clains that illegal child porn makes up almost 2.4% though.

That I don’t mention a fraction of the subgenres that you appear to have as your field of expertise does not really bother me.
"I don't know and I don't care"?

Well, ask your friends in the industry. You appear to want to turn this into a competition about who knows more about pornography. You don't have to! I’m sure it’s you!
Again, just illustrating that you are forming opinons out of ignorance.

Omitted: A lot of irrelevance.
That illustrates you don't know what you are talking about, especially regarding your "head full of law" nonsense.

Science versus law/jurisprudence:
Yes, the law, jurisprudence, ‘regulates the actions of the citizens’ by telling them what they are allowed and not allowed to do and the punishment they can expect if they do it anyway and the law finds out. This is what distinguishes the law from the laws of nature. You don’t see a law of nature telling nature how to behave and threaten with severe consequences if it doesn’t. Nature obeys the laws of nature, a lot of the time people don’t obey the laws of jurisprudence. It is rather pathetic that you find it necessary to try to blur the difference between them simply because the word “law” is used in both cases.
I didn't do that, I just showed you that when you said "The law, jurisprudence, catetorises the world not according to the world's categories, but according to the law's!" you were wrong.

Well, there’s a reason why the law is always wearing a blindfold.
Erm, no. "Justice" personified is usually characterised wearing a blindfold, not "the Law", and it is beacuse "Justice" is not supposed to care who you are when you come before it. It certainly does not symbolise the value of complete ignorance.

If you took off yours, you might be able to see things for what they are.
Heh. Nice aspersion you cast there. Precicely what is "blinding" me- the fact that I disagree with you?

They are neither fuzzy nor inadequate, so why “admit” anything?
That's not what you just said:
Me: "None of your links contradict this, and indeed, you links about "Pornography" and "Erotica" emphasise the fuzziness of the categories."
Dann: "On purpose! Not the categories so much as the precise point where one becomes the other. Wiki's explanation of Pornography contradicts itself."

Kiddie porn is any material produced with the intent of and used for the purpose of giving paedophiles a sexual kick.
That's an extrapolation of the Wiki definition for "pornography" in general that you yourself said was contradictory.
It is, if you will continue reading the article, based on Victorian ideas about pornography and is incorrect. A neutral definition is needed, because intent of the creator is sometimes hard, if not impossible to determine.

Further, if explicit material is produced with the intent to arouse, but fails to do so, is it still pornography?

If non-pornographic material is used to arouse, does it become pornographic?

It may be pictures or films of children having sex with adults or with each other, or reading material based on reality or pure fantasy catering to the same need of paedophiles.
It may be, but it is not limited to such. This is your ignorance talking. Were it so cut and dried it would be easy, as it is in your mind, but that is not the case in the real world, dann.

You and the law may have a problem distinguishing between on the one hand literature dealing with the same themes and on the other hand porn.
Well, unfortunately for us all then, the law is what we are governed by, not your ignorance.

This, however, does not signify any conceptual distinction between the two “fuzzy”.
That's not what you said.

That paedophiles may also be able to use non-pornographic photos of naked children as masturbatory material does not turn this material into kiddie porn, the same way a clog used as a hammer does not turn the clog into a hammer.
See, I think it is that you aren't a native English speaker that is screwing you up.

No, a clog used as a hammer does not magically "become" a hammer. But you are mistaking function with identity.

Clog used as shoe = "foot covering thing"
Clog used as hammer = "nail pounding thing"
Clog used as champaign glass = "drinking vessel thing"

Hammer used as crate opener = "prying thing"
Hammer used as hammer = "nail pounding thing"
Hammer used as weapon = "person hurting thing"

Picture of nude child in the hands of a non-pedophile = "not sexually stimulating thing"
Picture of nude child in the hands of a pedophile = "sexually stimulating thing"

Picture of clothed child in the hands of a non-pedophile = "not sexually stimulating thing"
Picture of clothed child in the hands of a pedophile = "sexually stimulating thing"

Do you see now?
 
There have been other definitions in this forum:
Umm, and "18-19 year old girls perfom in explicit videos pretending to be younger" = "no actual children were involved in its production"

By the way, I notice that when I refer to what I have seen about kiddie porn on TV, it shows how little I know about this theme.
No, that you said that you didn't know what child pornography consisted of was what showed how little you know about it.

When you, however, happen (?) to have watched ”a docu on it last weekend, I think on Court TV” (it = the so-called pseudo kiddie porn), you suddenly appear to be an expert!

I didn't claim to be an expert, I'm refuting your specific statement that pseudo child pornography "didn't exist". I'm still looking for the show.
 
Okay, so I've misunderstood your position. Could then perhaps try to make it clearer? I understand that find child pornography wrong. I also understand that you would not advocate against banning it. Are these statements correct?

If so, then in what way was my conclusion, i.e. that you didn't think it was wrong enough to ban it, wrong?
It is not a question of not "wrong enough", it's a question of my being neither a politician, nor a lawmaker nor somebody who appeals to politicians or lawmakers. I would argue and advocate against child porn (that's what I have been doing here), I might destroy it if I found it somewhere and I would definitely try to prevent adults from having sex with children if I saw somebody who attempted to do so. It is very simple, actually:
I am against adults having sex with children and I am against any kind of reading material or other publications that encourage adults to have sex with children. I have presented my arguments against paedophilia and kiddie porn.

And apart from Piscivore and a few others everybody else seems to understand what I'm saying, so I think that I'll just ignore his latest post.
 
I am against... any kind of reading material or other publications that encourage adults to have sex with children.
No, you are against some of them.

I have presented my arguments against paedophilia and kiddie porn.
And your arguments are incorrect.

And apart from Piscivore and a few others everybody else seems to understand what I'm saying,
I understand what you are saying just as well as anybody, they are just by and large leaving it to me to correct you.

so I think that I'll just ignore his latest post.
I'm sure. :)

Is that offer for the "Hot Salsa" video still on the table, and was it in German or Danish or whatever?
 
It is not a question of not "wrong enough", it's a question of my being neither a politician, nor a lawmaker nor somebody who appeals to politicians or lawmakers. I would argue and advocate against child porn (that's what I have been doing here), I might destroy it if I found it somewhere and I would definitely try to prevent adults from having sex with children if I saw somebody who attempted to do so. It is very simple, actually:
I am against adults having sex with children and I am against any kind of reading material or other publications that encourage adults to have sex with children. I have presented my arguments against paedophilia and kiddie porn.

And apart from Piscivore and a few others everybody else seems to understand what I'm saying, so I think that I'll just ignore his latest post.
Given what you've said above, I can only conclude exactly what I concluded before. You don't believe it is wrong enough that any legislation should be enacted against it.

I'm assuming here that there is at least one human behaviour that you feel should be illegal? Or are you a pure anarchist, perhaps?
 
Is that offer for the "Hot Salsa" video still on the table, and was it in German or Danish or whatever?
Yes, I've had my fun with it: hiding it among the pile when unsuspecting people have borrowed salsa DVDs from me. I don't remember a single word being uttered in any language in any of the 12 episodes ... so no subtitles covering up any piece of female anatomy either. :)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom