• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Edges Of Child Pornography: What Should Be Legal, What Shouldn't?

Well, if we're dredging out anecdotes, I certainly was. I'm not claiming that that's normal, chances are good that that's yet another thing I was highly abnormal in; but the fact is that I was somewhat precocious, sexually.
Could you explain in what way you feel you were sexually attracted as a pre-pubescent? What were the symptoms?

Sorry, if the questions are a bit intrusive, but I really wonder whether you were actually sexually attracted.
However, as Dave1001 said, that's an entirely different issue from adult/pre-pubescent sexual relations. Regardless of whether a child is capable of behaving in a sexual manner normally, they're not nearly developed enough, physically or emotionally, for any kind of sexual activity, and any adult sexual contact can only be harmful to their development.
You seem to be agreeing with me then, right?
 
What makes it pornography, dann? What is this "big difference" between "Justine", "Lolita", "A Clockwork Orange" and whatever it is you are calling "pornography"?
I don't think that men are usually turned on by A Clockwork Orange (I know that I wasn't), and I am fairly sure that Anthony Burgess did not intend it to turn them on.
And to pre-empt your next argument: Yes, I do know that you can masturbate to the Sears catalogue, but at a pinch you can also use a clog as a hammer if you haven't got the proper tools. That doesn't mean that a clog is a hammer. You can sit on a box, which doesn't make it indistinguishable from a chair. It usually isn't very difficult to distinguish between literature and pornography. I don't think you can find many copies of A Clockwork Orange or Lolita (I don't know about Justine, but I wouldn't think so in that case either) in porn shops. And you don't find many copies of BigNs (Is that how Al Bundy would spell it?) in an ordinary book shop.
The only thing that makes the distinction difficult is that the judiciary system used to ban books that weren't pornography as if they were.
 
I don't think that men are usually turned on by A Clockwork Orange (I know that I wasn't), and I am fairly sure that Anthony Burgess did not intend it to turn them on.
And to pre-empt your next argument: Yes, I do know that you can masturbate to the Sears catalogue, but at a pinch you can also use a clog as a hammer if you haven't got the proper tools. That doesn't mean that a clog is a hammer. You can sit on a box, which doesn't make it indistinguishable from a chair. It usually isn't very difficult to distinguish between literature and pornography. I don't think you can find many copies of A Clockwork Orange or Lolita (I don't know about Justine, but I wouldn't think so in that case either) in porn shops. And you don't find many copies of BigNs (Is that how Al Bundy would spell it?) in an ordinary book shop.
The only thing that makes the distinction difficult is that the judiciary system used to ban books that weren't pornography as if they were.
Sorry, dann, but I completely disagree with you. Anyone should be able to write and publish any book they feel like as long as such publication doesn't endanger national security or break any libel laws. Anything else is blatant censorship.
 
Sorry, dann, but I completely disagree with you. Anyone should be able to write and publish any book they feel like as long as such publication doesn't endanger national security or break any libel laws. Anything else is blatant censorship.
Feel free to disagree with me, but you repeat the mistake already made by others in this thread. Start from the beginning, and then tell me why you think that I am arguing for or against any kind of law. My argument is against child pornography.
Do you understand the difference?
 
Feel free to disagree with me, but you repeat the mistake already made by others in this thread. Start from the beginning, and then tell me why you think that I am arguing for or against any kind of law. My argument is against child pornography.
Do you understand the difference?
I understand the difference if the child pornography involves the use of actual immature humans engaging in sex. If it doesn't, its simple censorship.
 
dann: The only remedy a moral relativist has available to address any issue is The Law.

If it isn't illegal, it's moral. See? :)
 
Last edited:
As the father of three toddlers, I can tell you that children discover sexual feelings at a very young age. As a parent, learning exactly how to react to that behavior is a razor's edge.

I'm sure my kids would enjoy a shot of vodka, too. That doesn't mean it would be okay to get them all liquored up and let some adult, or even another child, to hop in bed with them.

It shouldn't take a genius to figure out why. I both pity and fear those who don't get it.
 
I don't think that men are usually turned on by A Clockwork Orange (I know that I wasn't), and I am fairly sure that Anthony Burgess did not intend it to turn them on.

He's dead, so we can't know what he intended. Same goes for the good Marquis de Sade. Even when they are alive, most of the time the author or creator is unavailable. So author intent is a poor test for pornography.

And to pre-empt your next argument: Yes, I do know that you can masturbate to the Sears catalogue, but at a pinch you can also use a clog as a hammer if you haven't got the proper tools. That doesn't mean that a clog is a hammer. You can sit on a box, which doesn't make it indistinguishable from a chair.

Regardless, you can see how the end user's application is a poor test.

It usually isn't very difficult to distinguish between literature and pornography.
Fine. What specific criteria applies to all cases of pornography and does not apply to any cases of literature or the non-pornographic visual arts?

I don't think you can find many copies of A Clockwork Orange or Lolita (I don't know about Justine, but I wouldn't think so in that case either) in porn shops.
And if they were?

And you don't find many copies of BigNs (Is that how Al Bundy would spell it?) in an ordinary book shop.
Not true. About half the bookstores I've been to have carried magazines of which the primary subject is photographic representation of nude females of some sort.

In any case this seems a very restrictive sort of criteria. What about "freeware", so to speak? Material which is not sold but distributed without charge?

The only thing that makes the distinction difficult is that the judiciary system used to ban books that weren't pornography as if they were.
Precisely the problem. And there isn't anything to stop them from doing so again.

ETA: And who is bringing the law into it now? :p
 
Last edited:
In Slingblade's case, however, we are not talking about something happening very fast in a situation where too many things are happening simultaneously and you might therefore get confused. She also doesn't mention satanic ritual abuse or aliens, so .... is there any reason to doubt her other than the principle that, yes, sometimes people may be wrong?

But I don't think anybody is doubting HER. It is simply the case that "once bitten, twice shy": after the debacle of the "recovered memory" witch-hunt, people are very careful about eyewitness accounts of sexual abuse by ANYBODY, even when there isn't any particular reason to doubt their word.
 
But I don't think anybody is doubting HER. It is simply the case that "once bitten, twice shy": after the debacle of the "recovered memory" witch-hunt, people are very careful about eyewitness accounts of sexual abuse by ANYBODY, even when there isn't any particular reason to doubt their word.

Well, I can see that. I remember the day-care center travesty in California.
Please do be very careful about what I, or anyone else, says. That's good advice.
 
Feel free to disagree with me, but you repeat the mistake already made by others in this thread. Start from the beginning, and then tell me why you think that I am arguing for or against any kind of law. My argument is against child pornography.Do you understand the difference?
Yes, but you are taking an unusual tack (especially considering the thread subject). A legal approach encourages a more objective argument, I think.

If you don't mean "child pornography should be illegal", what exactly are you arguing?
 
Yes, but you are taking an unusual tack (especially considering the thread subject). A legal approach encourages a more objective argument, I think.

If you don't mean "child pornography should be illegal", what exactly are you arguing?
You may not have noticed, but this is the point that hammegk adresses on this page of the thread:
The only remedy a moral relativist has available to address any issue is The Law.

If it isn't illegal, it's moral. See? :)
Notice how DD completely ignores what I wrote in his comment (383):
Sorry, dann, but I completely disagree with you. Anyone should be able to write and publish any book they feel like as long as such publication doesn't endanger national security or break any libel laws. Anything else is blatant censorship.
He manages to "completely disagree" with something that he quotes, but does not even take note of because he thinks: 'This is an argument against kiddie porn, consequently it advocates banning the stuff, banning any kind of reading material is censorship, I am against censorship, so I cannot take your argument against kiddie porn seriously!'
A legal approach does not encourage a more objective argument, I'm afraid.

It reminds me of the way the cartoon controversy was handled in Denmark: Apparently you cannot criticize anything today without being confronted with the stupid accusation: You are attacking free speech!

Do you actually think that because I criticize you, I intend to limit your access to say whatever you want? Or do you think that those of us who have been criticized by the advocates of (some kind of) kiddie porn should accuse you of wanting to rob us of our right to free speech?
There is nothing objective about that approach!

My argument the whole time has been: Kiddie porn in any form encourages people to sexualize the way they think of children. This is what's wrong about kiddie porn. Period.

And because they want to confuse the issue, people like Piscivore now pretend that they cannot tell the difference between pornography and literature, but somehow neither the sellers nor the consumers of pornography and literature find it very hard to distinguish between the two. To me it has only happened once when I ordered a DVD from Amazon, Hot Salsa, and it turned out be soft porn and had nothing to do with salsa at all. (And if I had spent a little more time checking out the product before I put it in my shopping cart, I would have noticed too in spite of the misleading title. Misleading packaging is somehing that you should always beware of. You might want to buy porn and end up with salsa lessons!
 
Do you actually think that because I criticize you, I intend to limit your access to say whatever you want? Or do you think that those of us who have been criticized by the advocates of (some kind of) kiddie porn should accuse you of wanting to rob us of our right to free speech?
Please do not mistake my defense of freedom of expression with advocation of "kiddie porn".

My argument the whole time has been: Kiddie porn in any form encourages people to sexualize the way they think of children. This is what's wrong about kiddie porn. Period.
And you are wrong. Period. People who already view children sexually do not need encouragement. They will sexualise them even in mundane settings. I will cite as examples almost any fundamentalist cult of personality- the Branch Davidians, the Polygamist sects here in the SW USA- where explicit material of any kind- "pornography" or not- is completely outlawed but sex with children is routine and even compelled.

And because they want to confuse the issue, people like Piscivore now pretend that they cannot tell the difference between pornography and literature, but somehow neither the sellers nor the consumers of pornography and literature find it very hard to distinguish between the two.
Bullsh[rule 8]. First, I am trying to clarify the issue.

Second, opinions vary widely-even among "sellers and consumers"- about what constitutes "pornography" or not. We have already established that what you and I consider "pornography" is very much at odds. Further, you are the one who is saying some explicit material is "pornography" and some is not, and that it is "easy" to tell the difference. I want to know what your criteria is, and why that criteria should be recognised by anyone else.

Thirdly, you don't seem to think it is wrong or immoral to encourage people to sexualise children as long as it can plausibly be called "literature". "Lolita" is the classic example- and that is clearly and unquestionably literature- but what about other stories where the line isn't so clear? Where the explicit material is more explicit, or in greater quantity, or of a more extreme degree.

You also seem to be more than willing to overlook the sexualising of children in the visual arts, as long as it is easy to call it art. A Bouguereau painting, for example. What about nude photography of Children? When does it stop being "art" and start being "porn"?

You are the one "pretending" that it is easy to tell the difference. Maybe it is, in some cases. But it isn't always, and we need a standard to decide.

I have one. What is yours?

To me it has only happened once when I ordered a DVD from Amazon, Hot Salsa, and it turned out be soft porn and had nothing to do with salsa at all. (And if I had spent a little more time checking out the product before I put it in my shopping cart, I would have noticed too in spite of the misleading title. Misleading packaging is somehing that you should always beware of. You might want to buy porn and end up with salsa lessons!

Heh. :D

ETA: If control is not an issue, then what is the point of identifying explicit material as "pornography"?
 
Last edited:
It reminds me of the way the cartoon controversy was handled in Denmark: Apparently you cannot criticize anything today without being confronted with the stupid accusation: You are attacking free speech!

The cartoonist criticised Islamist extremists, and those extremists wanted to kill him for it. They didn't say "We disagree with your portrayal of us" or "That's not really fair, is it?". They said "Somebody kill him. We will give you money if you kill him." If that's not the most motherf[rule 8]g clear cut example of "attacking free speech" there can possible be, why don't you explain to the class what is?
 
Last edited:
Please do not mistake my defense of freedom of expression with advocation of "kiddie porn".
Please don't misunderstand criticism of kiddie porn as an attack of 'free speech' (whatever).
And you are wrong. Period. People who already view children sexually do not need encouragement. They will sexualise them even in mundane settings. I will cite as examples almost any fundamentalist cult of personality- the Branch Davidians, the Polygamist sects here in the SW USA- where explicit material of any kind- "pornography" or not- is completely outlawed but sex with children is routine and even compelled.
Whoever said that they need encouragement? Does an ad for MacDonals encourage you to eat? Yes or no? That people are able to get hungry on their own is hardly an argument against this! Another repeated misconception. This is like an NRA argument: Since people kill people, and sometimes without using guns, guns add nothing significant to the murder statistics. Kiddie porn, even the kind that some of you find innocent because "No children were harmed during the production of this particular piece of filth!", sexualizes the way you look at children. My guess is that it would have to consist of stories of children who seduce adults into having sex with them! Artistic lies, masturbation fantasies, which encourage the illusions that paedophiles already have. People who don't would probably feel nothing but disgust.
Bullsh[rule 8]. First, I am trying to clarify the issue.
No, not really.
Second, opinions vary widely-even among "sellers and consumers"- about what constitutes "pornography" or not. We have already established that what you and I consider "pornography" is very much at odds. Further, you are the one who is saying some explicit material is "pornography" and some is not, and that it is "easy" to tell the difference. I want to know what your criteria is, and why that criteria should be recognised by anyone else.
Yes, I am saying that. And I have given you my criteria already. Nothing is wrong with those. The only problem seems to be that you do not understand them.
Thirdly, you don't seem to think it is wrong or immoral to encourage people to sexualise children as long as it can plausibly be called "literature". "Lolita" is the classic example- and that is clearly and unquestionably literature- but what about other stories where the line isn't so clear? Where the explicit material is more explicit, or in greater quantity, or of a more extreme degree.
At least you admit that it is a question of a line. However, you use this to try to confuse the issue. You have a similar problem in all kinds of literature. We all know what a novel is, and we also know what a short story is, but what about a short novel (or even a very short one) and a long (or very long) short story? What constitutes "science fiction"? Well, it is not all that difficult to define, but still you have problems with mainstream literature using only some of the elements of science fiction. This, however, does not really confuse the issue (but it may confuse the librarian or the bookseller who won't know where to place it).
The novel Lolita is not really about Lolita, it does not really sexualize a child. It is about Humbert Humbert, a middle-aged man who does! Because you read about how he sexualizes Lolita you get a glimpse of the mind of a paedophile, and there is probably no doubt that a paedophile will be able to use some of the pages as pornography, but again - see "hammer" example - that does not make the book porn!
And again: A couple of books or other material that are hard to place because they seem to contain elements of both literature and porn, does not make the distinction moot. Again we are dealing with a problem that only exists because people start to think like judges who have to decide in which category a particular publication belongs. It does not usually confuse paedophiles or readers of literature.
You also seem to be more than willing to overlook the sexualising of children in the visual arts, as long as it is easy to call it art. A Bouguereau painting, for example. What about nude photography of Children? When does it stop being "art" and start being "porn"?
Same principle. See? You want me to determine the exact point where something stops being art and starts being porn. Why? Somehow I never had the problem, I never had to distinguish between the two. The only people who do, like I said, are judges or people who think like judges - and maybe paedophiles who need to know what is 'safe' to have on their shelves if the police raid their home.
You are the one "pretending" that it is easy to tell the difference. Maybe it is, in some cases. But it isn't always, and we need a standard to decide.
I have one. What is yours?
Well, I don't. I have neither art nor porn with children as the theme. (And if you would like to own Hot Salsa, you can have it for free!) Do you? Why do you have the problem of finding a very strict point where it stops being porn and starts being art - or the other way round? You either sexualise children or get the problem because you start thinking about the theme in terms of law! (And I think that the latter is the case.)
ETA: If control is not an issue, then what is the point of identifying explicit material as "pornography"?
You tell me. You are the one with the issue.

The cartoonist criticised Islamist extremists, and those extremists wanted to kill him for it. They didn't say "We disagree with your portrayal of us" or "That's not really fair, is it?". They said "Somebody kill him. We will give you money if you kill him." If that's not the most motherf[rule 8]g clear cut example of "attacking free speech" there can possible be, why don't you explain to the class what is?
A number of cartoonists were invited by the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten to make cartoons portraying Mohammed. A very stupid idea, and the whole point of this was: Apparently the Moslems don't want us to, since in their religion, for some reason or other, you are not allowed to portray the prophet. Jyllands-Posten pretended that the point of the campaign was to advocate free speech, but for some reason they stopped short at poking fun at Jesus X the same way. A very prudent distinction to make, since most of the subscribers to Jyllands-Posten are Christians. A couple of the cartoonists were well aware of this being a campaign against Moslems, so instead they used their own cartoons to criticize the campaign, i.e. the daily!
The Moslems were not attacking free speech, they were attacking people who they felt desecrated their religion. Jyllands-Posten did not defend free speech. They attacked a religious (and ethnic) minority in Denmark under the pretext of advocating free speech.
 
Last edited:
You may not have noticed, but this is the point that hammegk adresses on this page of the thread:
I noticed and deliberately ignored it because I am familiar with his posting style. Suffice it to say that most people here are trying to argue for what they think the law should be, based on their personal moral code and legal philosophy.

A legal approach does not encourage a more objective argument, I'm afraid.
It encourages it because it forces you to define and defend your arguments, generally speaking.

Do you actually think that because I criticize you, I intend to limit your access to say whatever you want?
No. The censorship argument comes from your criticism and desire to ban literature you disapprove of - I'm not saying it is a correct or compelling argument, but it is not unreasonable. It has nothing to do with behavior in the thread discussion, as far as I can see.

My argument the whole time has been: Kiddie porn in any form encourages people to sexualize the way they think of children. This is what's wrong about kiddie porn. Period.
What should be done about it?
 
Whoever said that they need encouragement? Does an ad for MacDonals encourage you to eat? Yes or no? That people are able to get hungry on their own is hardly an argument against this!
Are you trying to say that you feel "kiddie porn" is an advertisement to entice people to have sex with children?

Another repeated misconception. This is like an NRA argument: Since people kill people, and sometimes without using guns, guns add nothing significant to the murder statistics.
You've completely mistaken the argument. A better equivalent would be "Since people kill people, and sometimes without using guns, and many people who own gun don't kill people, and guns have uses beyond just killing other people, the fact that sometimes guns are used to kill people does not make guns in and of themselves a bad thing."

Is that clearer?

Kiddie porn, even the kind that some of you find innocent because "No children were harmed during the production of this particular piece of filth!", sexualizes the way you look at children.
As we've agreed, so does a lot of other media, which you seem not to be concerned about. Why the double standard? If "sexualising children" is a bad thing, why do you tolerate some of it but condemn others?

My guess is that it would have to consist of stories of children who seduce adults into having sex with them!
You don't know? how can you possibly have an opinion if you aren't familiar with that to which you object?

And no, not all of it does. Not even a majority.

Artistic lies,
That's all fiction.

masturbation fantasies,
Is there something wrong with that?

which encourage the illusions that paedophiles already have.
So does a lot of other media to which you don't seem to object.

Do you have similar objections to commercial explicit works that "encorage" beastiality, or coprophillia, or foot-fetishism, or furries?

People who don't would probably feel nothing but disgust.
Given the number of people who I've heard admit to having inappropriate feelings for Natalie Portman after watching "Leon", I think you might be surprised.

Yes, I am saying that. And I have given you my criteria already.
I must have missed it, I apologise. If you mean "works intended to stimulate sexual arousal", I again bring up the difficulty of determining intent of the artist, and wonder why that should make any difference at all if your concern is the stimulation of inappropriate reactions in pedophiles.

At least you admit that it is a question of a line. However, you use this to try to confuse the issue.
The "issue" is crystal clear to me. I may be confusing you, but in my opinion it is because your objections aren't that well considered. :)

You have a similar problem in all kinds of literature. We all know what a novel is, and we also know what a short story is, but what about a short novel (or even a very short one) and a long (or very long) short story? What constitutes "science fiction"? Well, it is not all that difficult to define, but still you have problems with mainstream literature using only some of the elements of science fiction. This, however, does not really confuse the issue (but it may confuse the librarian or the bookseller who won't know where to place it).

If and when people start trying to prohibit short stories or science fiction and not other novels, then those distinctions will become signifigant too.

Note I'm not accusing you of wanting to prohibit anything- you so stated a few times. However, I do interpret the position of "Kiddie porn is bad, and it shouldn't be encouraged, but I'm not talking about banning it" in much the same light as I would "I don't like [insert minority immigrant group here], I'm not saying we should round them up and deport them all and keep them from coming back, but they have no business in this country".

The novel Lolita is not really about Lolita, it does not really sexualize a child. It is about Humbert Humbert, a middle-aged man who does! Because you read about how he sexualizes Lolita you get a glimpse of the mind of a paedophile, and there is probably no doubt that a paedophile will be able to use some of the pages as pornography, but again - see "hammer" example - that does not make the book porn!
Great, that's an easy one. How about "Justine", which besides a fair amount of philosophy and criticisms of the morals and attitudes of the author's culture contains page after page, scene after scene of graphic description of barely consensual oral, anal, and vaginal sex with both genders, along with rape, sexual slavery and torture, coprophilia, group sex, and abuse by authority figures- all with a twelve-year old protagonist?

Is the explicit material used to shock the audience, highlight the absurdity of the attitudes being mocked, and perhaps to tittilate just a bit to generate publicity, or is the "philosophy" just a thinly disguised veneer to legitimise the brutal pornography?

Both possibilities have been argued. Just in case your standard is "who sells it", it was distributed "under the counter" and on pain of arrest by otherwise "mainstream" booksellers of the day, and today may be bought on Amazon (where I got mine), but not often on your average brick and mortar bookstore (at least I did not find a copy at one). I understand that it is often to be found available in BDSM stores, although I get that information word-of-mouth.

And again: A couple of books or other material that are hard to place because they seem to contain elements of both literature and porn, does not make the distinction moot.
No, but it does make the distinction fuzzy, which makes blanket statements such as "kiddie porn is bad" problematic.

Again we are dealing with a problem that only exists because people start to think like judges
A handy ability to have when one wants to make a judgement about something, which you have done. :oldroll:

who have to decide in which category a particular publication belongs.
When you create categories, such as "kiddie porn" and "literature", then yes, you have to make those kinds of decisions.

It does not usually confuse paedophiles or readers of literature.
On the contrary, plenty of people are confused. that's why the issue isn't cut and dry.

Same principle. See? You want me to determine the exact point where something stops being art and starts being porn. Why? Somehow I never had the problem, I never had to distinguish between the two.
Because your exposure has ben thusfar limited, as you earlier intimated. I don't expect someone who has never eaten sushi will have had the problem of distinguishing between a good place to get sashimi and a bad one.

You've never had to distinguish between "kiddie porn" and literature, you only guess at that which you call "porn" even contains- yet you have an opinion about it. How? Because it might "encourage" someone to think in a way in which you do not approve?

The only people who do, like I said, are judges or people who think like judges - and maybe paedophiles who need to know what is 'safe' to have on their shelves if the police raid their home.
Book lovers too, seems like.

Well, I don't. I have neither art nor porn with children as the theme.
(And if you would like to own Hot Salsa, you can have it for free!)
Is it in German?

I have "Justine", "Lolita", and a few other books of that nature, as well as some art books.

Why do you have the problem of finding a very strict point where it stops being porn and starts being art - or the other way round?
Because there are people out there who want to controll how I- how all of us- think by restricting what we can see, read or hear. I refuse to give up any ground to those people, and I refuse to grant them a toehold into our hard-won freedoms. Sometimes that means challenging some well meant but misguided opinons. :)

You either sexualise children or get the problem because you start thinking about the theme in terms of law! (And I think that the latter is the case.)
As I said, I am a citizen of a nation and a larger culture governed by rule of law. Anyone who does not give at least passing consideration to those laws is a fool or a child.

You tell me. You are the one with the issue.
You are the one that made the distinction. Usually such distinctions are followed, sooner or later, by some kind of action.

A number of cartoonists were invited by the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten to make cartoons portraying Mohammed.
I thought there were more than one, but the point still holds in the plural.

A very stupid idea,
That's as may be.

and the whole point of this was: Apparently the Moslems don't want us to, since in their religion, for some reason or other, you are not allowed to portray the prophet.
Tough beans on them. The paper and their cartoonists aren't in the religion. I'm not a Christian, so prohibitions against blasphemy don't apply to me, f[rule 8] Jesus.

Jyllands-Posten pretended that the point of the campaign was to advocate free speech, but for some reason they stopped short at poking fun at Jesus X the same way.
Is Jesus X the angry black revolutionary version?

A very prudent distinction to make, since most of the subscribers to Jyllands-Posten are Christians.
"Freedom of speech" also includes the choice to not speak as one so chooses. They are under no obligation to be an equal-opportunity offender every time they make fun of some god or another.

A couple of the cartoonists were well aware of this being a campaign against Moslems, so instead they used their own cartoons to criticize the campaign, i.e. the daily!
As was their right.

The Moslems were not attacking free speech, they were attacking people who they felt desecrated their religion.
Attacking people for what they said is attacking free speech.

Jyllands-Posten did not defend free speech. They attacked a religious (and ethnic) minority in Denmark under the pretext of advocating free speech.
Free speech is what allows one to express an opinion about someone or something- even a negative one, or an "attack" if you will. Even including religious and ethnic minorities. Excersising that right, especially in the face of pressure to the contrary, i.e demanding those outside a religion to adhere to the precepts of that religion regarding artistic expression, is precisely defending it.
 
Last edited:
He manages to "completely disagree" with something that he quotes, but does not even take note of because he thinks: 'This is an argument against kiddie porn, consequently it advocates banning the stuff, banning any kind of reading material is censorship, I am against censorship, so I cannot take your argument against kiddie porn seriously!'
A legal approach does not encourage a more objective argument, I'm afraid.

It reminds me of the way the cartoon controversy was handled in Denmark: Apparently you cannot criticize anything today without being confronted with the stupid accusation: You are attacking free speech!

Do you actually think that because I criticize you, I intend to limit your access to say whatever you want? Or do you think that those of us who have been criticized by the advocates of (some kind of) kiddie porn should accuse you of wanting to rob us of our right to free speech?
There is nothing objective about that approach!

My argument the whole time has been: Kiddie porn in any form encourages people to sexualize the way they think of children. This is what's wrong about kiddie porn. Period.
dann, I'm still not sure I understand your stance here. It seems to be that you think child pornography is wrong but you don't think it is so wrong that you would advocate for the banning of same. Is that the view you hold?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom